PDA

View Full Version : factory swaybar disconnect gq patrol

kwdmtm
7th April 2015, 09:54 PM
Hi all we have 2 Gq patrols in our family ,my sons one has a factory rear swaybar disconnect.
we have fitted an arb 3 inch lift and would like to retain the factory disconnect but due to the lift
itneeds to be lengthened, has anyone done this type of mod ?
Any ideas would be appreciated. ..

BigRAWesty
7th April 2015, 09:58 PM
The only bloke who I know that does it is boarder track fabrication in boarder town.

I haven't taken mine off yet but need to so I can repair the rod end. And I'll extend mine while I'm at it.

HV2002
8th April 2015, 10:53 PM
Welcome mate, this is a grate forum heaps of info and friendly people willing to help you out.

doka404
9th April 2015, 07:25 AM
Bordertrek do an extension for the factory disconnect. Its a bit over 200.00 for the extension and for and extended HD link for the other side. They will need you to remove and send them the ball off the bottom of the disconnect and you will need to measure the exact lift.

I have one in mine

They also AFAIK can make an entire new slide pin which allows more movement in the factory disconnet.

Dhuck
9th April 2015, 07:31 AM
Welcome to the forum mate

kwdmtm
9th April 2015, 08:04 PM
Hi all we have 2 Gq patrols in our family ,my sons one has a factory rear swaybar disconnect.
we have fitted an arb 3 inch lift and would like to retain the factory disconnect but due to the lift
itneeds to be lengthened, has anyone done this type of mod ?
Any ideas would be appreciated. ..

Thanks for the quick response guys , muchly appreciated, will look into thanks !

Sherro
9th April 2015, 08:26 PM
G'day mate welcome to the forum.

MEGOMONSTER
11th April 2015, 06:11 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

89gqpatrol4x4
11th April 2015, 07:28 PM
I don"t mean to state the obvious but you know that the factory disconnect only does one side so in my opinion it would be best to buy after market disconnects.

Winnie
11th April 2015, 07:30 PM
I don"t mean to state the obvious but you know that the factory disconnect only does one side so in my opinion it would be best to buy after market disconnects.

Only one side needs to be disconnected.

89gqpatrol4x4
11th April 2015, 07:44 PM
My sway bar is connected to the chassis at two points and two the diff at two points, how can only disconnecting one side be all you need?

BigRAWesty
11th April 2015, 08:30 PM
My sway bar is connected to the chassis at two points and two the diff at two points, how can only disconnecting one side be all you need?
If you disconnect both ends then you'll catch it in everything.

When you disconnect one side, that side simply follows the fixed side.
It gives no opposite effect as it would being fixed on both sides.

89gqpatrol4x4
11th April 2015, 08:34 PM
sorry i don't follow

doka404
11th April 2015, 08:39 PM
If you look at a swaybar, it connects each end of the axle together in relation to the chassis.

So when one wheel goes up, the swaybar trys to lift the opposite wheel up, likewise when one goes down, it tries to push the opposite wheel down. So if you disconnect one side, it can no longer act upon the opposite side.

The factory disconnect is basically a long rod connected to the chassis at the top and the swaybar at the bottom. In the middle of this rod is a machined groove which a set of spring loaded jaws (in the disconnect mechanism) lock into when the sway bar is in use. Pull the lever and the jaws disconnect from the groove and the rod can slide up and down.

The issue with the factory disconnect is that the amount the disconnected side can move without acting upon the diff is limited by the length of this rod. So getting not only an extended link, but one that is taller as well (think about is as extendeding it on either side of the locking groove), will allow it to travel up/down more before it hits the stops on the disconnect and starts acting on the diff.

Sorry of that does not explain it too well..cant work out exactly how to put it into words.

89gqpatrol4x4
11th April 2015, 08:43 PM
I had a factory disconnect in my gq and removed it when i fitted a three inch lift. Just figured that when one side is still connected as such it would not flex as much as if both sides disconnected.

doka404
11th April 2015, 08:48 PM
I had a factory disconnect in my gq and removed it when i fitted a three inch lift. Just figured that when one side is still connected as such it would not flex as much as if both sides disconnected.

Theoretically with the standard length disconnect and lifted suspension it will limit the travel as the disconnect is only a certain length with stops on the top and bottom. But if you make a new longer rod, then you can increase the amount of travel in the swaybar before it hits the stops. Probably never be able to achieve the same results as if you had no swaybar (depending on the lift), but like everything there is always a trade off.

Personally I prefer just pulling the lever rather than climbing under the car to disconnect the swaybar. And its even better after a day out on the tracks to just twist the lever and instant swaybar while everyone else is back under their muddy cars trying to reconnect things :)

Its also handy when you are traveling on effectively 2wd tracks between the harder parts, where you can quickly connect the swaybar again and then just disconnect it when needed.

Clunk
17th April 2015, 06:19 PM
gday mate, welcome aboard