PDA

View Full Version : Using social networks and forums to say where you are

macca
7th April 2015, 09:01 AM
I have started to develop this thing about home security, not putting it out there that we are away from home.

The Easter plans thread is an example, waited until we were home before posting anything.

Last Christmas my sister-in-law put a live link to our names on Facebook that both my wife and I were having dinner with her in a pub in Victoria, 1300k's from home.
How many out there knew no one was at our home?

Recently on a weekend trip a mates wife who puts every coffee, meal, movie on Facebook put something about us all at her place, one of the other blokes did his nut.
I didn't say anything but wasn't happy about it either. Later we had a quiet chat with her hubby but not sure the message was passed on.

What do you think about this? And is there some way to keep a handle on it if you are with a serial poster?

lucus30
7th April 2015, 09:11 AM
I have started to develop this thing about home security, not putting it out there that we are away from home.

The Easter plans thread is an example, waited until we were home before posting anything.

Last Christmas my sister-in-law put a live link to our names on Facebook that both my wife and I were having dinner with her in a pub in Victoria, 1300k's from home.
How many out there knew no one was at our home?

Recently on a weekend trip a mates wife who puts every coffee, meal, movie on Facebook put something about us all at her place, one of the other blokes did his nut.
I didn't say anything but wasn't happy about it either. Later we had a quiet chat with her hubby but not sure the message was passed on.

What do you think about this? And is there some way to keep a handle on it if you are with a serial poster?

I feel the same mate though I'm comfortable posting my Easter plans as only a select few on this forum know where I live. Facebook I have everything locked down so I can't be tagged in anything

threedogs
7th April 2015, 09:15 AM
Makes sense to me , but Im no fan of Face ache , twatter or any other social media.

If I want to contact some one Ill either email if far away or call if local.
A bit hard to organise a trip on the forum,
I think doable but some might feel left out

Cuppa
7th April 2015, 09:16 AM
Ensure your specific address & identifying features of your property are not on the social networks. Disable the location feature and/or don’t use a mobile device you always have with you to access FB. Have a look at FBP (https://www.facebook.com/fluffbustingpurity) to better customise what info FB can ‘mine’ from, or display about, you.

macca
7th April 2015, 09:23 AM
TD I don't mind posting trips in the planning if someone is staying at home, but understand that is in my situation and not the same for everyone.

Lucas and Cuppa I will have to understand this restricting of personal info on Facebook. See what can be done.

Its a good way to keep in touch but our name spelling identifies us to people we might not even know through links etc. I really don't know how it all works.

rusty_nail
7th April 2015, 09:26 AM
mate, i really think you need to limit the people you are friends with on facebook to only ACTUAL friends, and to have your privacy settings set to friends only this way no one except your friends can see your wherabouts. location services should be turned off for facebook etc. if you do all that an announcement to your location on facebook shouldnt matter, because your facebook "friends" should be people you trust, not just random aquaintences who you met once at the pub etc.

Cuppa
7th April 2015, 09:32 AM
Its a good way to keep in touch but our name spelling identifies us to people we might not even know through links etc

Most of my younger & avid FB using rellies use names which won’t easily identify them .... e.g. Dave Wristwatch.

Winnie
7th April 2015, 09:39 AM
I get a little paranoid about it too, macca. I don't mind posting on the forum here but I did not and would not put on Facebook if we are going away, happy to do it when we get back though

macca
7th April 2015, 09:42 AM
Ill do some tuning of how its set up, thanks for the tips guys.

Rusty if a friend enters your name with the link can I stop non friends from accessing my timeline? I think that's what you are saying but finding this stuff a bit complicated.

Winnie
7th April 2015, 09:44 AM
Ill do some tuning of how its set up, thanks for the tips guys.

Rusty if a friend enters your name with the link can I stop non friends from accessing my timeline? I think that's what you are saying but finding this stuff a bit complicated.

Yes you can do that. I don't have my privacy set that high but when they look at my profile they can't see any information or posts.

rusty_nail
7th April 2015, 09:51 AM

yeah macca, people can still search your name and see very BASIC information like your display picture, perhaps the location you have set as your home town, and thats about it, maybe your sex. once you accept a friend request your new friend will be able to see the full information available on yoru profile. thats why you dont accept requests from people you dont know. pretty simple really =D