PDA

View Full Version : Moxons hut restoration - Skytrek

Rock Trol
6th April 2015, 09:54 PM
Hi ya'll,

I have just returned from a club trip (Nissan Patrol Club of SA) to the Flinders Ranges where we camped at Willow Springs Station and did the Skytrek track. Whilst there, we also spent a day restoring the rear wall on Moxon's hut. It was looking pretty shabby as the wood was over 100 years old and starting to rot. Brendan the owner cut some native pine logs and we cut and shaped them using hand tools (saws, axes etc) and nailed them in. It was done in the same way the hut was originally built using the same materials and methods.
Over the next few years our club plans further trips to restore more of the hut.

Overall, the weather was brilliant until today when it was windy and wet on the way back to Adelaide. Here are some pictures of the work.

Original state of the rear wall on the hut.

New wall being built.

Finally finished. Just like it used to be.

threedogs
7th April 2015, 11:51 AM
great work is there anyway to treat the wood to stop
the termites having their way like Lanatec or similar

Two thumbs up to your club with out actions like this
all our history would be lost.

BigRAWesty
7th April 2015, 01:59 PM
Awesome stuff guys.
Any address to the club mate. Sounds like a good one and the family wants to get to the flinders again soon

BigRAWesty
7th April 2015, 02:19 PM
Awesome stuff guys. Any address to the club mate. Sounds like a good one and the family wants to get to the flinders again soon

Just found the club. Sound like an awesome club

jack
7th April 2015, 02:21 PM
Hi Rock Trol,
Good to hear you're getting around and seeing the sights. Flinders is on my wish list, if I get there we'll have to catch up again. Must be nearly 15 years or so, time flies.

Rock Trol
7th April 2015, 08:45 PM
great work is there anyway to treat the wood to stop
the termites having their way like Lanatec or similar

Two thumbs up to your club with out actions like this
all our history would be lost.

Thanks TD. The wood we used is native pine which is already termite resistant. The only problem with the original wood is that it's weathered after 100 years of being out in the flinders. The owner wants to keep it original so no modern products on it.

Rock Trol
7th April 2015, 08:49 PM
Just found the club. Sound like an awesome club

It's a good club. We normally do at least one trip a year to a National park to help out. We have been working on the Coorong (28 mile crossing) widening tracks and picking up rubbish for the last few years but we might be switching to a NP closer to Adelaide in the future. There is good community spirit within the club and we have members who have joined BlazeAid to help out after fires.

Rock Trol
7th April 2015, 08:53 PM
Hi Rock Trol,
Good to hear you're getting around and seeing the sights. Flinders is on my wish list, if I get there we'll have to catch up again. Must be nearly 15 years or so, time flies.

1999 to be exact.
Come over and we can do some of the tracks I know off and maybe some new ones. There are plenty of properties to stay on and drive on. Give me a bit of notice to arrange time off work and I can arrange something. Might even get our mutual mate in on it if we can tear him away from the sea.

I think the best time is autumn as the weather is usually more stable. Spring is also popular but can get windy.