PDA

View Full Version : ZD30 CRD Lacking performance and low EGT

pattersd
2nd April 2015, 05:34 PM
A plea to the experts on the forum. I have a 2008 ZD30 CRD Cab Chassis. 3" Exhaust, Blocked EGR, Dawes Valve, max boost set at 18psi, with 100kph around 15.5psi. Full Rail pressure well over 22000psi
The engine runs well enough but lacks performance in 4th and 5th. EGT temp never gets over 320C.

It will run now worries up to 120kph an the flat but the slightest of incline it loses power with low EGT.

I have had the MAF checked, have replaced the MAP sensor as it was throwing a low boost error (reading in vac) no sign of limp mode errors.

I do get the MIL with the associated EGR low flow error due to a full block plate

Seems to me that there is not enough fuel (Limited somehow) showing as low EGT

I don't know what else to check.

What would be the symptoms of a dodgy injector? One not letting full fuel flow through?

TIA

Dave

Rock Trol
2nd April 2015, 09:24 PM
Have you replaced the fuel filter? It might be restricting fuel flow but not enough to activate the filter light on the dash.
From what you are saying all 4 injectors would have to be dodgy if it runs OK but lacks power.

Do you have a chip? If so maybe remove it for testing.

Also, when did it lose power? Was it suddenly? After a mod? Or a gradual loss of power whereby you can't drive it like you used to?

pattersd
4th April 2015, 10:12 AM
Thanks Rock Trol

Fuel filter has been replaced twice in the process (this has been almost 2 years)

No chip yet, I can probably trace the power loss to when I blocked the EGR. But my research so far hasn't turned up anyone else suffering power loss due to an EGR block.
What sort of cost is involved in having the injectors flow tested?
Is it worth investing in that or should I bite the bullet and just put new ones in to get to square one?

I am keen to have the ECU remapped but I am not going to invest in a remap until I have the performance cleared up.

Dave

threedogs
4th April 2015, 11:59 AM
swap the EMC relay on the left [blue] with the air con one for a test

Remdogg
4th April 2015, 08:49 PM
Mine does the same thing when I get a fault code. Drill a 6 mm hole in the blanking plate.

threedogs
5th April 2015, 08:45 AM
Mine does the same thing when I get a fault code. Drill a 6 mm hole in the blanking plate.

Do you get check engine light???

Hodge
5th April 2015, 09:24 AM

Do you get check engine light???

I didn't think the EGR blank and code caused any performance issues, except that it just throws a code for warning. And sometimes throws up an engine light too.

pattersd
6th April 2015, 06:47 PM
swap the EMC relay on the left [blue] with the air con one for a test

Hi Threedogs,

What will this do? What do you suspect?

Dave

pattersd
6th April 2015, 06:48 PM
Yes I have a check engine light and the code is for the EGR low volume
Does that cause a limp mode condition?

pattersd
6th April 2015, 06:52 PM
What sort of gas volume should be going through the EGR system?
Would it be possible to push boost pressure into the EGR chamber (At least its clean) to trick the EGR sensor into thinking it has enough ?

Hodge
6th April 2015, 07:28 PM
Have you taken out the EGR blank plate, just to eliminate that first ?
As I said earlier, I get the code and sometimes the engine light, but I get no performance variance when it happens. AFAIK, blocked EGR shouldn't cause limp mode directly , unless it is making the car create more boost, and in turn sending it into limp mode.

Rock Trol
6th April 2015, 08:13 PM
My CRD also gets the 0401 error and engine check light on a regular basis but no loss of performance.

pattersd
7th April 2015, 08:35 PM
I havent tried this but will go down this path on the weekend

pattersd
7th April 2015, 09:32 PM
I have been reading the Nissan CRD Learning docco. One thing of note is that when chasing this issue I had the Exhaust manifold and EGR unit off the car, I have cleaned it using solvents, i.e. ethanol based petrol which after a considerable amount of time was able to clean the swirl chambers.

Reading the document it notes that whenever the EGR valve has been disconnected/removed/replaced that a sequence of learning should be followed. Has anyone done this? I don't have access to Consult (if anyone in the Rockhampton Qld region does let me know) has anyone actually done this? What would be the issue if not followed? It also speaks of learning for the throttle body, thinking inside the box, if this wasn't fully open wouldn't this cause high end performance issues and not log a fault condition?

All a learning exercise .. for me anyways