PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with these air straighteners

threedogs
2nd April 2015, 12:08 PM
Spied these are they just a Hi-clone type snake oil unit.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251337602258?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

rusty_nail
2nd April 2015, 12:20 PM
for a moment mate, i thought you were asking for advice about hair straighteners??? lol. no idea about your question tho, good luck with finding a solution?

garett
2nd April 2015, 12:20 PM
i think this is so your air flow/mas sensor gets a better reading. but doubtful it would help. prob adds more resistance than you would gain.

the evil twin
2nd April 2015, 02:11 PM
For a well designed intake - snake oil
More an application for high performance and supercharged engine air intake streams etc

If you have a turbulent air stream at the MAF due to sharp bends or whatever then yeah maybe the extra restriction to flow is offset by improved MAF.

You can find them about 1/4 the price than that Ebay ad tho or make your own for about 1/10th.

Don't see why they couldn't be employed as hair straighteners with a bit of modding tho

threedogs
2nd April 2015, 03:24 PM
I'm buying one of his 3" MAF housings half the price of a HPD unit,
FEI the intake goes from 80mm down to 50mm at the turbo, on a 3ltr DI This can be acheived using stainless all they way,
Tapering gradually from 80 to 50mm with hose at each end, that should eliminate the need for the air straightener.[smooth]

@ Rusty alas the need for a hair straightener or any hair product for that matter is of no use to me what was once a full head of lush feathers
is now more barren than Sturts stoney desert. lol
Funny when I asked the seller a question, all he said was jump on a forum and ask questions there
I think the "Fast and Furious" guys would swear by them

Stropp
2nd April 2015, 03:41 PM
@ Rusty alas the need for a hair straightener or any hair product for that matter is of no use to me what was once a full head of lush feathers
is now more barren than Sturts stoney desert. lol

At least I'm more like the nullabour, very sparce with the odd clump lol

threedogs
2nd April 2015, 03:50 PM
At least I'm more like the nullabour, very sparce with the odd clump lol

Not to be disrespectful but if I get slack and let it grow a bit and then go for a swim it looks like Ive had Chemo
bits and pieces here and there not a good look

mudnut
2nd April 2015, 03:58 PM
Get with the program, blokes. You need a hiclone after the inlet to spin the air, a straightener to get a good flow at the MAF, a hiclone for the turbo to spool, up a staightener to let air flow past the butterfly and a hiclone on each inlet branch to allow air into the cylinders.:)

Rock Trol
2nd April 2015, 10:59 PM
I feel my Patrol suffers from bent air syndrome so maybe this will help.
Would I also need one of these with a 90 degree bend to get the air to go around the corner?
.Sorry TD, couldn't help myself.

threedogs
3rd April 2015, 02:19 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-00-OD-76mm-OD-MAF-Weld-on-bung-for-Audi-VW-MK4-MK5-Volvo-Nissan-Opel-Seat-/251883593216

This guy also sells weld in MAF housings so yo can build your own