PDA

View Full Version : My new tough dogs are too short, but are the right part?

Kelvinator
29th March 2015, 04:01 AM
G'day Guys,
I just received my new 45mm adjustable tough dog shocks. And after extending them out I thought they looked very short. I sized them up beside the ones on the vehicle (pro-comp long travel to suit 4 inch lift) and the tough dogs have roughly 1 inch more travel before they top out. I would top those out before even leaving my driveway. I am very concerned I am going to bash the rings off either end on my fancy new shocks and want to know should I return them and request the 6 inch shocks before I even try these and risk voiding a return? I've never studied suspension geometry but I damn sure have never seen so little down travel at resting height. Input would be greatly appreciated from people who actually have the tough dogs on a 4 inch lift.

Am I just used to every truck I've seen going oversize with longer shocks for extra travel? I have tonnes of travel now, and don't mind losing a little for a better ride as I've given up the rock crawling for the beach. That being said I tend to double the whoops on the sand and the thought of a thunk at every top out worries me.

Cheers in advance

Facts to consider:
Superior lists the 6 inch shock part numbers in their 4 inch kit (part number ends in /6
My shocks part numbers quote to suit 4 to 5 inch lift (part number ends in /4/5
Yes I do have a 4 inch lift
Yes I know what I'm talking about, as an ex mechanic, please gear your response as such.