PDA

View Full Version : Power loss?

Taffylad
28th March 2015, 09:50 PM
Hi all, my new GU Patrol is pretty mush stock standard and one of the first things I will want to do is fit some bigger tyres probably after a small lift (probably the usual 2 inch). At what point when going up in size do you feel the loss in power. When does it become really noticeable? I know the engine is not the most powerful in the world but it's got enough grunt for me as I wont be towing anything but I don't want to start struggling too much on the highway.

Cheers everyone
Dave

Covo71
29th March 2015, 08:03 AM
You won't really feel any difference. It's only if you are towing or trying to go past something up hill or if you are in the bush you feel you had a bit more grunt. Day to day you won't notice any difference.

threedogs
29th March 2015, 11:05 AM
You will notice a difference imo with 305 x 16 muddies, in both excelleration and braking
Its a very heavy tyre/rim combo, then times 4.
even fuel will be effected, STD 265 tyres will return figures of 9 to10ltrs per 100ks.
go up to 285 [33"] and that will rise to 12-13ltrs per 100ks

the evil twin
29th March 2015, 01:08 PM
Hi all, my new GU Patrol is pretty mush stock standard and one of the first things I will want to do is fit some bigger tyres probably after a small lift (probably the usual 2 inch). At what point when going up in size do you feel the loss in power. When does it become really noticeable? I know the engine is not the most powerful in the world but it's got enough grunt for me as I wont be towing anything but I don't want to start struggling too much on the highway.

Cheers everyone
Dave

By "new" do you mean new to you or a new current model ZD30 and what tyre/rim combo does it have ?
What do you want to do with the vehicle IE what tyres are you considering MT's, AT's etc ?
What rims mag or steelies?
If your not towing will the car be heavily loaded?

Some changes will be almost negligible, IE mags running HT's in a manuf whose 33's are closer to 32 actual, others will be quite noticeable IE steelies with MT's

Bottom line is that if you go from 31's to 33's in genuine measurement that is a 7% change.
There is not a lot of things you can change by that magnitude and not notice but after a short time you forget there was a difference anyway

Taffylad
29th March 2015, 08:40 PM
By "new" do you mean new to you or a new current model ZD30 and what tyre/rim combo does it have ?
What do you want to do with the vehicle IE what tyres are you considering MT's, AT's etc ?
What rims mag or steelies?
If your not towing will the car be heavily loaded?

Some changes will be almost negligible, IE mags running HT's in a manuf whose 33's are closer to 32 actual, others will be quite noticeable IE steelies with MT's

Bottom line is that if you go from 31's to 33's in genuine measurement that is a 7% change.
There is not a lot of things you can change by that magnitude and not notice but after a short time you forget there was a difference anyway

It's a 2011 GU7 which I've had for just a few days. It's still got the 17 inch stock wheels which I think I'll keep for a while. The current tyres are Bridgestone AT Duellers. I want to stick with an AT tyre but one that gives me a little more clearance under the diff without sacrificing too much power and one with a more open tread pattern. I take your point about getting used to the way it would drive with bigger tyres. I like taking it into the state forests around here which offer a range of tracks from just loose dirt to pretty heavy climbs which can be pretty rocky.

raider_td5
13th April 2015, 08:12 PM
I went from 31 to 33 MTs and lost 20 kms in top speed!

rusty00
11th July 2015, 06:58 PM
Two sets of rims and tyres are the way to go.
A set for the road and AT traction and a set of MT for rocky or winter slop.
I run 32" AT as daily use and 33MT for the above and very rairly keep the MT on for more than a week once the trip has finished.