PDA

View Full Version : front axle end float clearance issue

crash520
22nd March 2015, 02:25 PM
So, I have rebuilt my 99 GU hubs, swivel bearings, the whole shebang. Did the left hand axle end float clearence check, I have 1.5mm clips in there at the moment and I can fit .85mm between the clip and the stub axle housing, i recalled previously this had some clearance so it looked normal for what it is, I do need to put larger clips in the left hand side or replace the bronze spacer I guess.

Now the fun part, the right side, in went the axle, fitted up the stub housing etc, I have like 2mm clearance between the clip and the housing!!! see the photo. now, the other thing is, I cant push the axle in to close up that gap, I can imagine if the bronze spacer was badly worn I would see this much end float gap but right now, I have no end float as such, just a huge gap.

the evil twin
22nd March 2015, 03:13 PM
Whwn you rebuilt the hubs did you happen to change from Auto to Man or change any of the shims

crash520
22nd March 2015, 04:02 PM
Nope, has manual engaging hubs, just did bearings and seals, it may have had this when I took it apart, didnt really take much notice. That said, the right hand axle does not have anywhere the same seal wear on the shaft as the left indicating a newer axle, AND the right axle was covered in a white grease including inside the hub, full. The left axle just had what i expected to see, grease packed CV joint only and with normal type grease. So, the right hand axle may have been replaced and may not be the correct one???

crash520
23rd March 2015, 07:58 PM
Bump, anyone else got any idea??