PDA

View Full Version : Td42 getting hot ? Front mount intercooler ?

Harris
21st March 2015, 10:59 PM
Hey I've got a 99 gu ute with a td42 and I have been noticing on long steep climbs, up Adelaide freeway ect that it has been starting to get hot. I am running a front mount intercoler and two smallish spot lights. I am aware these things do make a difference when it comes to temp. I was just wondering if anyone has had the same issue and have rectified it by converting to a top mount ect ? Any other ideas before I start changing intercoolers ect ?

Thanks

kevin07
22nd March 2015, 06:58 AM
could be other things as well boost leak or exhaust leak, fuel pump timing

Harris
22nd March 2015, 09:06 AM
Yeah I wondered about fuel pump timing since the ute has had a tune and runs a bit rich

threedogs
22nd March 2015, 09:11 AM
Remove the driving lights and see if that makes any difference on the same hill

AB
22nd March 2015, 12:52 PM
Has it always ran hot since you had the intercooler or has it just started running hot?

TroutNut
22nd March 2015, 01:10 PM
As an interim measure you could remove the thermostat and see if it runs cooler, could be a dodgy thermo.
Not much fun in Adelaide heat, but cranking the cab heating up full can help wash off some heat if the engine's running too hot.

Bigcol
22nd March 2015, 02:04 PM
you haven't said if your GU Ute is empty / tray full / pulling a load / or how many Kms

TD42 get hot under load.............
radiator & thermostat & viscus fan hub are barely adequate for the job once they start to get long in the Kms

depending on how much you want to spend to fix the problem will determine which direction to start with......

I just recently replaced EVERYTHING - hoses, fan, viscus hub, water pump, thermostat & fan belts - I already had a new radiator in it
I did the lot at one time to stop pissing around every weekend trying to chase my tail - or the "elusive" cool running TD42
Radiator was replaced, and reflushed
my hoses were unknown years old - replaced with new
my thermostat was not opening at the correct temp, or opening far enough - replaced with new
my viscus hub was shagged - replaced with new
my fan has 2 cracks in it - replaced with new
my water pump looked ok - but - replaced with new
fan belts were unknown age - replaced with new

only thing not OEM used on it was coolant - I have found the OEM Nissan parts are better than the cheapies - just seem to do the job

seems ok at the moment, have to hook up my van for a long run to see if it will get hot again

with replacing your front mounted intercooler to a top mount........
mmmmmmmmmmmmm

front mount is way WAY more efficient than a top mount, and whatever underlying problem causing it to get hot will still be there..........

I would start at getting the fuel issue sorted, then look at the cooling system

raider_td5
13th April 2015, 07:49 PM
Are all TD42s intercooled?

Stropp
13th April 2015, 09:49 PM
Hey mate check your radiator as I would get it riddled to clear any blockages and also get the viscous hub serviced an put a tube or two of Toyota viscous hub silicone oil into it, they will be the most common causes, DO NOT remove the thermostat as that will cause problems, also as suggested make sure the radiator ir bled correctly to eliminate air pockets.

Bigcol
13th April 2015, 09:56 PM
Are all TD42s intercooled?

not in Australia they were not

factory intercooler came out about 2002/2003 I think from memory

have you padded enough to download the manuals yet raider_td5?????

you may get better responses to your questions about the TB48 if you put up an introduction - and also tell us where you are located
helps you know