PDA

View Full Version : "Is that coolant I can smell?"

Tunguska_1908
21st March 2015, 07:52 PM
Indeed it is... Upon arriving at work Friday I thought I could smell coolant as I hopped out (There goes the weekend get away AGAIN). Had a quick squizz under the bonnet, could smell it but couldn't see anything leaking/dripping. Arrived home Friday night, same smell... Well, Sat morning looked under the front and unless a cat that takes multivitamins had just peed, I figured I had a coolant leak!
Can't see any leaks or dried coolant from above the motor on any hoses, expansion tank etc. So had a bit of a lay down under the front with a torch, could see where coolant had run down the front of the block & dripped off the sump and diff. So... I'm thinking the water pump has given up the ghost or is about to and now that I think about it, there has been a vague grinding noise evident (difficult to tell with the tyre noise).
I cannot get to the water pump to see if it is leaking without dismantling half the front end, would this be the likely source of the leak? Is it a difficult job to replace as I have limited mechanical experience/tools etc. What's a mechanic going to charge? I see on Patrol Parts the pump/viscous hub assembly is $285 for genuine Nissan one.
Anyone in Perth game to tackle it one weekend for a couple of slabs of amber stuff? (Really can't afford a mechanic bill)

Oh, it's a '03 3.0ltr GU Patrol (Auto)

Any advice/assist would be greatly appreciated

TroutNut
21st March 2015, 10:14 PM
If you can see the waterpump relief holes just behind it's drive pulley, you might be able to see the drip or evidence of the dye. You might have to take off the stone guard under the radiator to look up with a torch and see it, assuming it's similar to the gq's I don't know, or if you can get your hand to the waterpump just feel for the underside relief hole and see if you get coolant on your finger. That'd mean the pump internal seal is on its way out. I've never had a good look at the GU's, might have to remove a few covers maybe?

the evil twin
21st March 2015, 10:18 PM
Known problem with the later ZD's

Not sure as I haven't read it all but this thread might help http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?24978-Coolant-leak-CRD-3-0L/page2&highlight=coolant+leak

4bye4
21st March 2015, 10:23 PM
Known problem with the later ZD's

Not sure as I haven't read it all but this thread might help http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?24978-Coolant-leak-CRD-3-0L/page2&highlight=coolant+leak

I think that issue is with the CRD 3ltr. Tunguska_1908 says his is a 03, which would be a Di. Hopefully not the same prob as I read that the CRD prob is an engine out repair.

the evil twin
21st March 2015, 10:32 PM
I think that issue is with the CRD 3ltr. Tunguska_1908 says his is a 03, which would be a Di. Hopefully not the same prob as I read that the CRD prob is an engine out repair.

Thats what I meant about 'later' IE ZD30 CRD's, my bad, you are correct it was ambiguous