PDA

View Full Version : Aircon only works on high setting

TD42_PWR
21st March 2015, 07:52 PM
Hi

I have swapped out the control unit but the aircon in my car only works on the highest setting, any body have an idea what might be wrong before i take it to the auto elecy to get looked at.

Thanks

the evil twin
21st March 2015, 08:12 PM
By "control unit" do you mean ballast resistor pack for the fan speeds?

That is certainly the usual cause

happygu
21st March 2015, 09:35 PM
ET is on the money ... it will be the Fan Resistor, and you will find it under the dash near the fan itself.

You can locate it easily by looking for the wires that plug into it.

It looks something like this .... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Patrol-GU-Heater-Fan-Resistor-/221713151619

TD42_PWR
21st March 2015, 09:58 PM
Thanks, i will have a look for it tomorrow. and by control unit i meant the unit with the switches on it.

happygu
21st March 2015, 10:09 PM
Thanks, i will have a look for it tomorrow. and by control unit i meant the unit with the switches on it.

It is hardly ever the control unit .... I have done two or three Fan Resistor Packs over the years in various cars. I used to repair them, but the modern ones aren't as easy ( and they are cheap enough to replace )

TD42_PWR
21st March 2015, 10:12 PM
thansk for the info, i didnt know there was a resistor, i thought it was all controlled by the switch unit hence why i replaced it. oh well was pretty cheap off ebay.

the evil twin
21st March 2015, 10:16 PM

Nah, It will be a ballast pack I reckon.

Happy is correct, depending on model usually much simpler and easier to replace.

gaddy
22nd March 2015, 06:47 PM
ET is on the money ... it will be the Fan Resistor, and you will find it under the dash near the fan itself.

You can locate it easily by looking for the wires that plug into it.

It looks something like this .... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Patrol-GU-Heater-Fan-Resistor-/221713151619

Mine would only run on 4 a couple weeks ago and that was the problem ,