PDA

View Full Version : new radiator running hotter than original

leo
19th March 2015, 04:01 PM
hi all its leo here this is my first post, I have a 96 gq patrol wagon that's done about 735,000ks, I recently had to replace the original radiator with a koyorad radiator, which seemed to be an exact replica of the old one, but the original had the temp gauge running at about a third and the new one runs at about three quarters, I have replaced the thermostat but this changed nothing. a friend of mine also has this same problem with his 94 gq, any ideas what the problem may be? cheers leo

BigRAWesty
19th March 2015, 04:05 PM
hi all its leo here this is my first post, I have a 96 gq patrol wagon that's done about 735,000ks, I recently had to replace the original radiator with a koyorad radiator, which seemed to be an exact replica of the old one, but the original had the temp gauge running at about a third and the new one runs at about three quarters, I have replaced the thermostat but this changed nothing. a friend of mine also has this same problem with his 94 gq, any ideas what the problem may be? cheers leo

Welcome mate. Probably a cheaper knock off but with smaller veins allowing less fluid threw.

Winnie
19th March 2015, 04:05 PM
Hey mate welcome to the forum. You might get a better response if you post in the mechanical section because not all members read the introductions.

I would be talking to the people you bought the new radiator from, it sounds blocked!

Dhuck
19th March 2015, 07:51 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

MEGOMONSTER
19th March 2015, 08:24 PM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

4bye4
19th March 2015, 08:31 PM
Welcome to the forum mate. As winnie says it might be worth talking to the people who sold you the rad. 3/4 mightbe ok, if its steady. Dash gauges are not the most accurate of instruments.

leo
19th March 2015, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the replies guys (and girls??) Unfortunately I bought the radiator in shark bay when my old one cracked, and I am from the great southern but I will get on to the manufacturer and might post it on the mechanical section, thanks again foot your input ,Leo

Patrol'n
19th March 2015, 08:49 PM
G'day mate, welcome to the forum.

mudnut
19th March 2015, 09:13 PM
Hello, and welcome to the forum. I take it as a given that you have bled the cooling system to eliminate any air locks. Park with the nose facing up hill, take the radiator cap off and tape a half bottle to the filler. Lift the overflow hose and tape it to the bonnet strut. With the heater on run the engine and let any bubbles out of the system. Run it until the thermostat opens. After topping up the coolant it pays to take your patrol for a run and bleed the system again too.

Patto
21st March 2015, 02:34 PM
Welcome to the forum mate

Sherro
21st March 2015, 05:54 PM
G'day Leo welcome to the forum mate.

Covo71
21st March 2015, 09:38 PM
I have got a GU but the thermostat isn't in backwards is it?

HV2002
23rd March 2015, 11:25 AM
Welcome mate, this is a grate forum heaps of info and friendly people willing to help you out.

strikx
2nd April 2015, 10:30 AM
Welcome to the forum mate