PDA

View Full Version : RDA rotors and pads

MEGOMONSTER
19th March 2015, 11:25 AM
I'm looking at upgrade my brakes as they are getting quite scary sometimes with their ability to stop me quickly and safely. So I am looking at a full set of RDA slotted and dimpled rotors and Greenstuff 4x4 pads. I have a quote for $650 delivered. Is this a good price and are these rotors any good.
Also to get the safebrake hose upgrade also.

http://rdabrakes.com.au/page/Products-EBC-Brake-pads.aspx http://rdabrakes.com.au/page/Product-Rotors.aspx#dimple

Stropp
19th March 2015, 11:31 AM
yep o think thats what i paid for mine about 6 mths ago

BigRAWesty
19th March 2015, 11:54 AM
Why not try safe brakes setup first??

threedogs
19th March 2015, 11:55 AM
I paid $100 a corner for the same thing , You might be better off putting the braide hose kit in from Brake safe a vendor here.
Braking is not greatly improved over STD, its the hoses letting you down IMO
Cant wait to fit the braided lines very high on my to do list

the evil twin
19th March 2015, 01:13 PM
Hiya Mego,

I have pretty much that setup on my Ute.
I would def upgrade rotors and pads if you do any sort of towing or heavy brake use
I would also def put braided lines in.

The two upgrades complement each other in that braided lines do sweet F.A. about brake fade or overall braking effort.
That is the job of the pads and rotors.
Braided lines are excellent for better feel, brake modulation and driveability.
That means an actual brake application feels like it is working a whole lot better.

I did the rotors and pads on mine about 12 months before I did the braided lines and very happy with both mods
As I said they complement each other but they primarily accomplish two different things

Cuppa
19th March 2015, 04:48 PM
I have RDA dimpled rotors & EBC Greenstuff (series 6000) on the front of my ute. Changed it from ‘stomp on the brakes & wait' to a car that brakes reasonably well. The improvement was very worthwhile. Pity I can’t do the same on the back.

One day I’ll probably fit some braided lines, but it’s not something screaming out to be done. Changing from the stock rotors & pads was! ..... They didn’t feel safe with the weight of my vehicle. I’m not sure that braided lines would increase braking power as such, but would, I believe, give a lot more ‘feel’ at the pedal.

$650 sounds reasonable, I paid $405 for just the fronts in September ’13.

The Greenstuff pads squealed for the first few hundred kilometres, but then stopped.

EDIT: At the time I fitted the EBC pads there was discussion here about whether they were worth the extra cost above the Bendix pad price. I’d been a fan of EBC pads on motorcycles & decided to go with them. When they need replacing I’ll go with EBC again (possibly 7000 series). Whether they are better than Bendix or other cheaper pads I can’t say, but I’ll be happy to stick with what works for me.

the evil twin
19th March 2015, 05:29 PM
Agree with Cuppa... do the Rotors and pads first if doing one or the other

garett
19th March 2015, 05:43 PM
wouldn't bother with braided lines... much more will be gained with slotted and dimpled rotors. some ppl who use thier brakes alot complain they get more brake fade with braided as the lines heat up and stay hotter making the fluid boil more. but others like the slightly firmer feel.

mudski
19th March 2015, 06:16 PM
wouldn't bother with braided lines... much more will be gained with slotted and dimpled rotors. some ppl who use thier brakes alot complain they get more brake fade with braided as the lines heat up and stay hotter making the fluid boil more. but others like the slightly firmer feel.

After doing what the op has done I then put on braided lines and it was by far one of the best things I have done. My brakes were heaps better after the new rotors and pads, but a chit ton better with the braided lines.

garett
19th March 2015, 06:28 PM
you run silicone base or just dot3/4 ?

Rocket55
19th March 2015, 07:01 PM
I've recently stepped out of a 2005 Hilux (current shape) into a Patrol and man o man the Patrol (on 33's) stops like a sports car compared to the Hilux. I then put 33's on the lux and the brakes at best were slower downers and that was with DBA4000 slotted rotors, braided lines and various quality pads (EBC, QFM, TRW, etc.). Eventually I'll update the brakes on my Patrol, but they feel great for now.

mudski
19th March 2015, 07:04 PM
you run silicone base or just dot3/4 ?

Dot 4 I used. Next thing I would mind doing is upgrading to the TB48 brakes and run a hydro powered master cylinder. But this all cost a pretty penny, so its one thing at a time... Lol.

As your sig says to garret....

MEGOMONSTER
19th March 2015, 07:27 PM
I asked about fitting and they said good idea to re pack front bearings, or hub or something in the front. Is this true or good idea while everything is off.

mudski
19th March 2015, 07:38 PM
While its apart mate. Clean the bearing of the old grease and repack with the new. They will love you for it.

lhurley
19th March 2015, 10:52 PM
Check out QFM pads, not sure on availabilty down south tho. Sorry.

I have them in my patrol and have had them in another 4b and they transformed both cars. I'm just running standard rotors and I would actually say that my patrol has good brakes. Qfm pads are cheaper then Bendix as well.

Tbh $600+ does sound a little high. I paid less then $400 to do all corners on my patrol with qfm pads and standard dba rotors. The dimpled and slotted will be more expensive but not sure how much.

BigRAWesty
20th March 2015, 07:14 AM
My experience with them is discs, awesome.
Added another level of braking to the falcon wagon, but the pads. Leave them.
The squeal and leave a lot of dust.
I'd stick to bendix pads but the rotors are awesome.

Cuppa
20th March 2015, 08:55 AM

Which pads?
Folks talked about extra dust when I was going to buy EBC pads, but it hasn’t been a problem. Possibly a difference between the compound used for Falcon pads (2000 series?)& that used for heavier vehicles? The 6000 EBC’s seem pretty good dust-wise. EBC list them as ‘medium dusting - cleaner than stock pads’
http://ebcbrakes.com/product/greenstuff-brake-pads/

threedogs
20th March 2015, 09:04 AM
Dot 4 I used. Next thing I would mind doing is upgrading to the TB48 brakes and run a hydro powered master cylinder. But this all cost a pretty penny, so its one thing at a time... Lol.

As your sig says to garret....

The 4.8s rotors are only 10mm larger arent they??

EDIT only 9mm larger

threedogs
20th March 2015, 09:09 AM

did you put goo on the back of the pads and pins when installing them.

BigRAWesty
20th March 2015, 09:11 AM
did you put goo on the back of the pads and pins when installing them.

Nope, but followed the bedding instructions.
Due to not needing Such heavy pressure now I think they are slightly glazing.
I just stand on em for a couple of stops and there good again.
But yea. Heaps of dust

threedogs
20th March 2015, 09:23 AM
Some times that"squeal" is lack of goo on the pin and back of the pads.
I have dimple drilled and slotted rotors with green/black pads
Im not jumping up and down with the result, Ill waiting till I have Brake Safe braided lines
in.
Mind you poor braking performance might be due to having mud pattern tyres fitted.

BigRAWesty
20th March 2015, 09:26 AM
Some times that"squeal" is lack of goo on the pin and back of the pads. I have dimple drilled and slotted rotors with green/black pads Im not jumping up and down with the result, Ill waiting till I have Brake Safe braided lines in. Mind you poor braking performance might be due to having mud pattern tyres fitted.

I guess the gu already has good brakes.
The ford wagon and gq have shocking brakes. Lol. So any increase for you guys won't be as substantial I guess.

Stropp
20th March 2015, 11:45 AM
I guess the gu already has good brakes.
The ford wagon and gq have shocking brakes. Lol. So any increase for you guys won't be as substantial I guess.

my brakes have always been poo but then when you are used to 6 pot brembos anything is poo :)

BigRAWesty
20th March 2015, 12:15 PM
my brakes have always been poo but then when you are used to 6 pot brembos anything is poo :)

You need to drive a gq with 33's to appreciate gu brakes I guess.

Punderhead
20th March 2015, 12:20 PM

Gu brakes are awesome after jumping out of the Q

Rocket55
20th March 2015, 01:05 PM

Or a pre 2012 Hilux on 33's... I love my GU brakes by comparison

the evil twin
20th March 2015, 03:02 PM
Massey Ferguson 35's aren't real flash either...
Nearly ended up in the Dam heading down to the Milking Shed sooo many times...

mudski
20th March 2015, 03:06 PM
I used the Bendix 4wd pads. No complaints here a very little dust.