PDA

View Full Version : Led light bars

kevin07
19th March 2015, 10:16 AM
im about to fit a bar to my 62 and I just want to fit a single quality led light bar on it your thoughts and expertise on these would be appreciated

threedogs
19th March 2015, 10:22 AM
buy Cree leds you wont need a spread beam
a spot of 30 degree or less,is awesome
where do you intend to mount it???

Clunk
19th March 2015, 10:52 AM
Hit up Lights, vendor on here mate

Winnie
19th March 2015, 11:06 AM
Yeah I would be buying an Aurora light bar from Lights.
Forum members get better pricing.

http://www.ledlightco.com.au/AURORA-led-light-bars/

BigRAWesty
19th March 2015, 11:14 AM
X3. Paul is a top bloke.
I have the 20" arura and its a sweet bar.
Heaps of light. Out does my 7" spotties with 80w globes in them.

the evil twin
19th March 2015, 11:16 AM
Hiya Kev,

Oslon, Luxeon, or Cree are the top of the Wozza LED's for light bars with Oslon prob best.
Epistar is also OK but it could be argued maybe not quite as long lived however still acceptable if priced a fair bit cheaper.

For a forward facing "on road or on track" application spot is best or possibly combo if at least 50% are spot focussed.
Flood pattern are best for side or rear for bush tracks or general use.

1 x 10 watt LED has better range than 2 X 5 watt so IMHO for a vehicle a, say, 18 x 10 watt LED (180 watt total) is better than a 36 x 5 watt LED Bar (180 watt also) on a 'like for like' decision.
(edit) ... but, a quality bar using 5 watt LED's will be better than a not so flash one using 10 watt

On any bar over 30 inch I much prefer 2 or more mounts along the body rather than single mounts at each end.

I currently run a 24 x 10 watt spot bar on the roof of my Ute and up to maybe 80 to 90 KPH it is the only light needed.
Above 90 ish on the bitumen I find my 55 watt HID IPF's handy for that extra bit of range about 15 degrees either side of dead ahead into the spon drains etc.

Both IPF's are 'spot' as the 'flood' lens just got swallowed up by the LED bar but the LED bar has a much wider pattern in 'spot' than the IPF 'flood' anyway.

Purely my personal observations over lots of various configurations I've tried but hope it helps

BigRAWesty
19th March 2015, 11:51 AM
Yes good point ET.
A very big miss conception is the bigger the bar the further you can see.
That is wrong.
A certain wattage can only shine so far.
So 50" 5w bar won't shine further than a 10" bar. The light output will be 5x more but not 5x more distance.
What you can see is reflective light.

threedogs
19th March 2015, 12:38 PM
A single row bar is down to 15 degree I think dont even think of spread IMO as you just "lose" light
I have a long bar supported at both ends and have had no problems , first mounted to a rhino bar with a bracket I designed
and the second was suspended under the roof rack I made, again no problems, I have however cut a small piece of insertion rubber
in isolate it a bit so it not steel on steel, Mine is off at the moment and I will mount it the same as MEGAs as in under the front
of those chinese copy ARB bar, cable terminates via a 50 amp anderson with wires going down inside the "B" pillar. and a carling style switch
on the dash

kevin07
19th March 2015, 04:51 PM
ill be mounting on the bar so ive got 20 inch max 10w will be the go but ive had someone say the narva 5w for $800 is the best. hence my question that i posted would someone et post a link to these lights thanks kev

megatexture
19th March 2015, 05:16 PM
what's wrong with china lights lol,i bought mine off alibaba, ive got 3 sets of 22" dual row 5watt on my car and have been for almost 4 years with no moisture in them and no led failing, only thing is the powder coat peeling on the one on the bullbar as its in full sun. ive had mates buy off ebay and they have lasted 6 months

Clunk
19th March 2015, 09:29 PM
ill be mounting on the bar so ive got 20 inch max 10w will be the go but ive had someone say the narva 5w for $800 is the best. hence my question that i posted would someone et post a link to these lights thanks kev

Hey Kev, here's Pauls (Lights) thread

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?p=275715

Give him a call even, hes a rather helpful chap and no doubt will steer you right

MudRunnerTD
20th March 2015, 08:20 AM
Hey Kev, here's Pauls (Lights) thread

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?p=275715

Give him a call even, hes a rather helpful chap and no doubt will steer you right

Paul is a good friend of mine and I have known him for over 10 years and been driving with him regularly for that time. I rate him as a bloke, his products are second to None! He has a very good range and price point. I'd be fitting the Araura bar for sure in the 62. Paul will give you an honest assessment and you will get the best lightin your budget available on the market today!

liftlid
20th March 2015, 03:31 PM
I've got the 40 and it works great wouldn't hesitate to get another.

Winnie
20th March 2015, 03:33 PM
Paul is a good friend of mine and I have known him for over 10 years and been driving with him regularly for that time. I rate him as a bloke, his products are second to None! He has a very good range and price point. I'd be fitting the Araura bar for sure in the 62. Paul will give you an honest assessment and you will get the best lightin your budget available on the market today!

Except you can't remember his name!!

mudski
20th March 2015, 06:47 PM

Peter wasn't it?

the evil twin
20th March 2015, 07:30 PM
Peter wasn't it?

I knew a Peter once, hell of a nice bloke, so much so he could have even been a saint

MudRunnerTD
20th March 2015, 08:37 PM
A

Yeah that was nuts mate, been a long day and I just went blank! I apologized to him the next day. Names are my downfall, I have all soughts of trouble remembering them. I can go blank on the closest friends. I was out the other night and simply forgot the name of a long standing friend and had to discreetly go through my phone until I found an email that he had been added to! Nuts mate.

I have a memory like an elephant for projects I manage and damage to houses, can't remember the name of my client for the life of me though!! Alway carry a clip board and make sure I write there name on the top page. I could shoot level right through their house and then write them all down at the end without as much as a blink! But have to check their name a dozen times throughout an inspection!! Crazy!

All the bloody Andrews here do my head in too!! On FB I have to reference guys profile pic to know which Andrew is which!! Then Drew changes his profile pic and I have to start again lol. Shocker!

I blame a head injury in 2001.

Winnie
20th March 2015, 09:11 PM
I blame a head injury in 2001.

Ah yes, that would explain a lot more than just your problem with names

catchinjack
21st March 2015, 12:45 PM
I have two, same length, one has 10w and the other 5w led's. Both put out about the same and get similar distances, i've found the reflector used in the bars make a difference especially the fish eye style. I wouldn't use 3w though except for a work light.