PDA

View Full Version : front disc pads dragging bad

dads tractor
18th March 2015, 04:00 PM
front disc pads dragging bad any ideas .happened all of a sudden ,the fluids at the right level and the pedals tight as no free play .

threedogs
18th March 2015, 04:04 PM
Might be time to put a kit through the front calipers and lube them up so they retract

dads tractor
18th March 2015, 04:06 PM
Would they go so quick and both together 3d got me beat

Punderhead
18th March 2015, 04:11 PM
I agree with 3dogs, sounds like the calipers aren't retracting properly. Possibly one was already dragging, and you just didn't notice until the other did. Also yes they can go that quick, not always, but it is possible.

Cheers

dads tractor
18th March 2015, 04:15 PM
Shite sounds about right its a spare gq and sits around a bit .

Punderhead
18th March 2015, 04:56 PM
Shite sounds about right its a spare gq and sits around a bit .

Seals are probably dry if it sits a fair bit.

taslucas
18th March 2015, 05:05 PM
Yeah sounds like the sliders aren't sliding. Hopefully just need to free up and a bit of anti seize. I just did a rear one but the slider had flogged out so I needed a replacement calliper

threedogs
18th March 2015, 05:09 PM
not a big job ,wow a spare Patrol lying around I wish

garett
18th March 2015, 07:59 PM
not sure if it has it but if callipers are ok, could be the master (seen quite a few do it) esp. if fluid is dirty

Stropp
18th March 2015, 08:03 PM
Yes I had to free my pistons up as they clogged with mud and dust and sand, managed to push them out a fair bit and clean/lube them and then just worked them in and out a bit till they were moving freely.

lucus30
18th March 2015, 09:03 PM
You sure its the calipers? I had the same thing on mine and mucked around with the calipers for ages but turned out to be the protection guard on the rear of the rotor

dads tractor
18th March 2015, 09:43 PM
Lucas a bit more detail mate if you can ;is it to do with rubber seals ?

lucus30
18th March 2015, 09:55 PM
I think its called a buffle plate. I borrowed a PIC from Darren's thread of it

http://nissanpatrol.com.au/images/Stripping%20the%20GQ/GQ%20CV%20rebuild/PC020121.jpg

In my case it was slightly bent that i couldn't notice but essentially it was rubbing on the rotor

Obviously the PIC is of the outside with the rotor removed. I've just used the only picture I could find

pearcey
20th March 2015, 10:18 AM
Undo the bleeder nipple and if the brakes free up then you have a hydraulic problem which is more likely a master but could be an internally damaged hose. If they dont free up then the problem is in the calipers or caliper slide pins

TroutNut
20th March 2015, 02:07 PM
As said, could be full of sand n grit. My stone guard/ backing plates have cracks around the bolt holes, and they rattle like a tin can at 40km. Higher speed seems to pin them back with the airflow or something, but at low speeds the tinny noise stops when I press the brakes, so not much clearance between the calipers and stone guard. First thing i'd check if it happened suddenly would be for a dented guard or a pebble wedged in there.
If both played up at the same time, it could be something to do with the load balancing valve at the back of the car, especially if you were offroad at the time. Might have a nice big stick jambed through the spring, maybe. That shouldn't cause brake drag though,(in theory??) just uneven front to rear line pressure. Check that the rotors are nice and straight, some of the fords had the problem of rotors warping with excessive heat, haven't heard of it with Nissan stuff though.

threedogs
20th March 2015, 02:12 PM
Are your pads down you may have pushed the piston
past any point it had been previously and jammed,
Did it first appear after heavy brake application??

Mjcpatrol
22nd March 2015, 09:46 PM
Take the caliper off and clean the slides

Mjcpatrol
22nd March 2015, 09:47 PM
Had the same thing happen on a gq

dads tractor
22nd March 2015, 10:33 PM
OK thanks too everyone for their ideas ,this has now turned into a importune comp because the fix will stump you I'm sure . Think electrical circuit see where you end up , good luck !!

dads tractor
26th March 2015, 01:36 AM
OK thanks too everyone for their ideas ,this has now turned into a importune comp because the fix will stump you I'm sure . Think electrical circuit see where you end up , good luck !!

bump no takers

Clunk
26th March 2015, 03:14 AM
got abs on your GQ?

Sent from my SM-N910G using Forum Fiend v1.3.3.

threedogs
26th March 2015, 12:04 PM
OK DT we give in what did you find out.?

dads tractor
26th March 2015, 03:24 PM
Well this tricked me big time .On the brake pedal shaft there is a rubber stopper that lines up with the brake switch and when the stopper is missing it allows the sender/switch to activate the lights AND go into a brake fail mode if activated for a period of time maybe .because all we did was replace the rubber and all was good .Maybe I'm dumber than I thought but it never accrued to me to look there. Live and learn live and learn .