PDA

View Full Version : Roof Carrying Capacity

kaiwuthen
16th March 2015, 05:56 PM
Hi All,

am about to get myself a roofrack for my 2002 GU4 Patrol.
it will have 4 mounting posts either side, so I'd assume that maximum weight can be added.

Does anyone know where on the interweb I will be able to find the OFFICIAL roof carrying capacity? as in I am after the Nissan website stating it.

Searching the web one finds anything from 100kg to 200kg, but all just word of mouth. am after the official one.

Thanks heaps

MEGOMONSTER
16th March 2015, 06:08 PM
Officially, I believe the gutters are capable of only 80kgs.
I have an ARB roof rack and I have gone well beyond that, but only for short periods, not that makes a difference.

the evil twin
16th March 2015, 06:09 PM
200 KG static on a 4 point rack (ie 50 Kg's per point)
(static meaning parked up with you climbing around on it)

100 KG dynamic no matter what or how you have managed to get anything on the roof including the rack or bars if any and no matter what the rating of the roof rack itself
(dynamic meaning the vehicle on the road)

That is officially my specification, (joking)
You will usually only find Nissan's official figure on brochures and the like so you need to search brochures etc

Cuppa
16th March 2015, 08:17 PM
it will have 4 mounting posts either side, so I'd assume that maximum weight can be added.

I can’t answer your question, but would think that for carrying any weight a rack that has a continuous bar which sits the full length in the gutters would distribute the weight far better than 4 separate mounting posts (if that’s what you meant).

mjr350
16th March 2015, 09:05 PM
Its in the manual and it says under 100kg.

kaiwuthen
16th March 2015, 09:51 PM
Thanks mjr350. that's what I had looked for
even though I am a bit disappointed that its only 100kg incl rack, leaving after rack and awning a mere 50ish kg to go on the rack.

the evil twin
16th March 2015, 10:05 PM
Thanks mjr350. that's what I had looked for
even though I am a bit disappointed that its only 100kg incl rack, leaving after rack and awning a mere 50ish kg to go on the rack.

Don't be too disappointed
You will find that 100Kg is a fairly standard limit across many vehicles.
It has very little to do with support strength or construction.

It is mainly derived from stability and the dynamic forces exerted when cornering and as most vehicles have reasonably similar CofG. etc the number stays fairly similar across most manuf.

BillsGU
16th March 2015, 10:30 PM
As ET says - "It has very little to do with support strength or construction." Imagine your Patrol is like a pendulum - rocking from side to side. The more weight you have on top - the higher your C of G - the more (or further) you rock. What this means is when you are seriously OFF road your Patrol will tip over much more easily - and when you are ON road your Patrol will roll around until all your passengers throw up. Weight on the roof is NOT a good idea. What you should be putting on the roof is bulk - such as sleeping bags, pillows, doonas and such - not weight.