PDA

View Full Version : Disable truck passenger airbag?

megatexture
15th March 2015, 04:24 PM
Is it legal to disable the passenger side airbags in order to fit child booster seats?
I've got a renault master cab chassis and would like to put 2 x seats in it.

In the manual its got a procedure to disable the passenger side bags for this reason but I'm missing the switch shown in the manual to do it.

Anyone recently looked at doing this?

threedogs
15th March 2015, 05:30 PM
Are you allowed to have baby seats in the front of a car ?

BigRAWesty
15th March 2015, 05:30 PM
I think in Aus it's illegal to remove any safety feature, like an airbag..
So that's probably why your missing the switch, so it can't be done

MudRunnerTD
15th March 2015, 06:05 PM
Yeah I doubt it very much.

megatexture
15th March 2015, 06:12 PM
No where says its illegal to put a kid in the front as long a the booster seat is properly anchored,though not recommended if the car has airbags, and that a rearward facing is illegal with airbags.

I only need forward facing so though not recommended it can be done is my understanding

Are you allowed to have baby seats in the front of a car ?

Only if there is no other option

I think in Aus it's illegal to remove any safety feature, like an airbag..
So that's probably why your missing the switch, so it can't be done

Some utes have a switch in the glove box to disable passenger side airbags only, though I've only seen this once and it was on an older ute

Clunk
15th March 2015, 10:31 PM
Yeah not sure about the legalities but if it were me, id be disabling it whether you're allowed to or not.

cgm
15th March 2015, 11:52 PM
I don't know anything recent. Going back 10 years ago I tried to get ford to disable one in my station wagon and they had a discussion about it for a few days and came back and said they wouldn't. Were worried about legal issues if I had an accident that I might then claim the airbag could have helped and sue them. It was actually an option on the car I had, but they still wouldn't do it. In that same era one of my friends had a two door Alfa Romeo and it had a switch as well. Sorry, it doesn't really help, but I'm guessing you won't get anyone willing to disable it.

threedogs
16th March 2015, 08:06 AM
In the States a ridiculas amount of children get killed with air bag deployment.
Could you ring your RTA up there for the legallities

megatexture
16th March 2015, 07:54 PM
yea I will be as there website palms you off to racq for regs so ill call racq and transport board