PDA

View Full Version : Heard a rumour about window tinting

threedogs
15th March 2015, 01:37 PM
At the doctors the other day a guy stopped and said my car is illegal because of the tint.
I have what I believe is darkest legal for the front doors the cargo side windows are limo
and the passenger doors are in between.
Question to VICs has the law changed??

Clunk
15th March 2015, 01:39 PM
I would say that he probably thought they were too dark and he doesn't know what he's talking about

threedogs
15th March 2015, 01:45 PM
Well we were both at meds central lol
Must admit i was parked against a dark background
which didnt help my cause.

garett
15th March 2015, 01:50 PM
in nsw the front 2 windows must not be darker then 35 %. the rear fixed windows be fine with limo tint. this is legal 56180 my other car

Winnie
15th March 2015, 01:54 PM
I have heard in Vic that all windows must not be darker than 35% and I have also heard that only the front windows need to be 35%
Dunno which is true but all of mine are darker than that anyway

threedogs
15th March 2015, 01:59 PM
going by this link I think Im fine even though they look dark in the flesh so to speak

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Window-Tint-Film-Sample-Pack-4-samples-Car-Auto-House-Commercial-Solar-tint-/291089941588?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item43c6500454

Clunk
15th March 2015, 02:00 PM
as of April 2013, here's what it is in WA, minimum of 35% on the fronts and a minimum of 20% after the B pillar..........................

http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/mediaFiles/licensing/LBU_VS_IB_119.pdf

Alitis007
15th March 2015, 05:08 PM
In Victoria if you have a mirror on both front passenger doors the front door legal vht is 35% and the rest can be painted or as dark as you like but if you only have 1 side mirror the 2 front and rear window must be 35% vht.

threedogs
15th March 2015, 05:12 PM
so he was full of it lol

the evil twin
15th March 2015, 06:33 PM
so he was full of it lol

... or on it...

Avo
15th March 2015, 06:38 PM
they where at the med centre

jay see
15th March 2015, 06:52 PM
Colour of the car gives a different impression, but can't argue with %.

P4trol
15th March 2015, 07:29 PM
So when they book you on the side of the road,they book you on looks or %?

Avo
15th March 2015, 07:37 PM
Looks,.... and then it's up to you to prove innocent like the rest of the judicial system

mudski
15th March 2015, 07:39 PM

I think, they have like a reference card they put up against the window to see what the darkness is.

jay see
15th March 2015, 07:47 PM
I think, they have like a reference card they put up against the window to see what the darkness is.

Probably, but if they want to give you a yellow sticker they won't be using any reference card.

the evil twin
15th March 2015, 07:53 PM

Jeez, if they book people on looks I'm totally screwed.
I make Marty Feldman look like Kylie Minogue

jay see
15th March 2015, 08:00 PM
Jeez, if they book people on looks I'm totally screwed.
I make Marty Feldman look like Kylie Minogue

My moto is don't give them a reason to pull you over, if they do and you know that they are right cop it on the chin or they will give you a hard time.

Rock Trol
15th March 2015, 08:27 PM
In SA its 35% min on all windows. I think they use a light meter to check tints. They sometimes do roadside checks on all cars with tinted windows.
I just had my windows tinted with a new style tint (nano technology) which is 35% but looks darker as the colour is black rather than the green. It looks very dark from the outside but it is easy to see out when you are in the car.

growler2058
15th March 2015, 09:39 PM
Wife's Prado cam with tint from the factory. Everything rear of the front doors is privacy glass (dark as a bears guts) the front doors are %? But much lighter

Cuppa
15th March 2015, 10:28 PM
What sort of money would I be looking at to get my 2 side windows & the rear cab window tinted with something which will last?

katwoman
15th March 2015, 10:39 PM
In laymans terms, if you can see your seats from the outside, it should be ok..( legally) 35's and lightbars(used to be) illegal, but who did that stop ?

What sort of money would I be looking at to get my 2 side windows & the rear cab window tinted with something which will last?
Depends.. You'd have to call your local windscreen bloke, if you dont have tinters up there. I had to get my 1/4 glass window retinted after a break in, and they only charged me $20.
I wouldnt think its expensive?

Winnie
16th March 2015, 06:25 AM

Would not be more than $200

Maxhead
16th March 2015, 06:34 AM

I paid $200 to do my last wagon, that was 4 windows, 2 back quater windows and the rear. I can't remember the product used but on doing research it was the best around.
Make sure you get quotes in winter time as prices tend to rise in warmer months...

threedogs
16th March 2015, 08:17 AM
@ Cuppa I paid $250 to have all windows stripped of the old tint and a new darker tint applied.
Funny how the MOF didn't notice , yet every one else did.

Bloodyaussie
16th March 2015, 08:27 AM
I want mine redone and am thinking of leaving out the sliding windows... mine is badly done and full of scratches so even harder to see out of at night.

threedogs
16th March 2015, 08:43 AM
I even thought about painting the cargo windows from the inside ,
but I dont want/have a storage system up to the roof,
I think a cardboard template might work just as well

BigRAWesty
16th March 2015, 12:42 PM
I even thought about painting the cargo windows from the inside , but I dont want/have a storage system up to the roof, I think a cardboard template might work just as well

Have you tried spray on tint??
You spray it on until you have the darkness you want.

Winnie
16th March 2015, 12:46 PM
Have you tried spray on tint??
You spray it on until you have the darkness you want.

Isn't that the stuff for wankers tinting their commodore's tail lights black?

threedogs
16th March 2015, 02:34 PM

thats funny ,must sell by the carton around here, tinted tail lights so 1990s

Winnie
16th March 2015, 03:02 PM
thats funny ,must sell by the carton around here, tinted tail lights so 1990s

Yep they are still doing it... lmao

threedogs
16th March 2015, 03:36 PM
When I went over to Timor years ago the 4x4s beamo's
over there even had the front window tinted

the evil twin
16th March 2015, 04:25 PM

I reckon Australian would be the best sort unless you can find a mob that will take greenbacks.

threedogs
16th March 2015, 04:32 PM
I reckon Australian would be the best sort unless you can find a mob that will take greenbacks.

yeah X 2 stronger that the Euro at the moment
green backs scream value and will hold there own

Winnie
16th March 2015, 05:17 PM

No comments from the peanut gallery!!

BigRAWesty
16th March 2015, 06:18 PM

Didn't you know... it adds 50rwkw!!!!

Cuppa
16th March 2015, 06:28 PM

:D You know ET I think you are improving!

the evil twin
16th March 2015, 06:29 PM
No comments from the peanut gallery!!

Fair answer to a fair question... plus I'm bored (gubberment work does that to a bloke you know)

graeme1969
16th March 2015, 07:58 PM

To do only those Windows have a crack at it yourself. Check out some YouTube videos to see how it is done. I did mine and they turned out good, except I had to remove it to get my registration changed over to Tassie registration as it was too dark, and have not got around to putting some back on. I brought a 30 meter roll for around $50.00 so plenty of room for a stuff up or two. I also got a window tint kit from the same crowd. Polyfilm Australia were the ones I got it all from.

P4trol
16th March 2015, 11:03 PM
What scares me from diy, is the old bubbly fading peeling off look.

the evil twin
16th March 2015, 11:48 PM

A good facial defoliate, then a soothing milk scrub and aloe rinse will fix that problem... then you def won't want window tint so you can show off your new look at the lights

katwoman
17th March 2015, 04:40 AM
A good facial defoliate, then a soothing milk scrub and aloe rinse will fix that problem... then you def won't want window tint so you can show off your new look at the lights

It's scary that you know that information...

BigRAWesty
17th March 2015, 06:14 AM

My professional installed tiny is already pealing and only around 5 years old.
Factory tint lasted 18 years.
So something has changed and self tint is on my to do list

P4trol
17th March 2015, 06:58 AM
I'm still trying to get my head around the different tint qualities. Apparently the one with metal film is the best/blocks the most uv, but is the most expensive?

It can sort of be compared with polarised sunglasses vs cheap ones, which are just dark plastic.

So are people buying the best diy roll of tint, or just cheaper stuff, and re-doing it regularly?

Do you need to take the door trim off to diy the tint? What about the rearmost side windows - do you remove the trim to fit that? Is isopropyl alcohol the right stuff to use to clean the window first?

BigRAWesty
17th March 2015, 09:49 AM
Jump on you tube. Lots of diy videos. Se good some crap.

The process I'll use to remove tint is heat glass up to 40ish degrees, and peal slowly. Gleaning glass with a glass blade and citrus sticky cleaning agent..

The rear windows with de misters in them don't use the blade. Just heat, peal and clean.
You can use a scotch brite pad and run along the de misters to clean excess glue off but that's it.

All in the videos though

threedogs
17th March 2015, 10:17 AM
I have one cargo area limo tint my son scratched with his push bike that needs replacing.
At the same time I think I might get the passenger behind the driver limo as well,
cant see out of it anyway, plus my Engel is there