PDA

View Full Version : 2.8 turbo diesel

tristo89
14th March 2015, 02:51 PM
hey guys wondering if any of you guys have any experience with with the Chinese made turbos for the 2.8 lt engine my brothers turbo given up the ghost wondering if it any one had bought one 450 for turbo is almost to good to pass up

P4trol
14th March 2015, 04:02 PM
I bought genuine. It cost just over 2x the cheapie's cost.

It depends on your maintenance philosophy, intentions to keep or sell, and the condition of the engine.
The Chinese are very good at copying, and saving a poofteenth on materials/costs. Some items it is worth a gamble (like led bars), others maybe not.

Is it worth doing other stuff on the engine while you are there?

garett
14th March 2015, 04:11 PM
i've seen a e bay Chinese turbo have a large amount of movement 2 days after install was about to start scrubbing fins on the housing. but heard of others going for awhile. personally i wouldn't risk it.

4bye4
14th March 2015, 04:37 PM
I bought genuine. It cost just over 2x the cheapie's cost.

It would have to be cheaper than half price for me to go after market. A grand is not that mauch for genuine turbo.

tristo89
14th March 2015, 06:14 PM
yeah brother said he got quoted 1000 to 1500 just for rebuild so les the quarter the price they come with 24 month warranty

P4trol
15th March 2015, 03:24 PM
That's pretty cheap for a rebuild. Maybe that's just parts?

With a rebuild, you would expect it to last another couple of hundred thousand. Unless it's a fairly new engine, likely you would replace the turbo, then have major engine work in the not too distant future.

mudski
15th March 2015, 07:59 PM
i've seen a e bay Chinese turbo have a large amount of movement 2 days after install was about to start scrubbing fins on the housing. but heard of others going for awhile. personally i wouldn't risk it.

Funny you say that. I had a bloke come to me asking if I would install the NAD's for him on his zd30. He showed me his new turbo he bought from China and it cost him around 350 landed. The two halves of the turbo had a massive amount of movement I thought it was going to fall apart on the car.

P4trol
15th March 2015, 11:44 PM
And... You said... Yes or no?