PDA

View Full Version : Vic High Country Ph Coverage

Tonks
14th March 2015, 06:40 AM
Whats the phone coverage like in the Vic High Country.
Cheers Tonks.

Drewboyaus
14th March 2015, 06:45 AM
At best can be described as random.......
Sometimes you can get signal from either carrier when you get to a ridge line sometimes one or the other of the carriers.
Once you come off a ridge or mountain top pretty much no coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

AB
14th March 2015, 07:31 AM
X2 as Drewboyaus mentioned Tonks so a lot of times you can check in with family and friends when touring around on the ridges.

happygu
14th March 2015, 10:09 AM
Tonks,

There are plenty of areas with no coverage at all, especially in the valleys, but I am amazed at the times where you do find coverage.

I guess you have got to think that there is Mt Buller, Mt Hotham, and Falls Creek, so you pick up a lot from there, and then there are all the towns dotted around the fringes, Omeo in the middle.

Lots of times you can receive and send texts but not be able to make calls, but I was able to make a phone call last weekend from the top of the Sentinels near Lake Tarli Khan in Licola..... and that is in the middle of nowhere

Winnie
14th March 2015, 11:06 AM
I was able to make a phone call from Talbotville last time.

Hodge
14th March 2015, 11:06 AM
Lots of times you can receive and send texts but not be able to make calls,

+1

This is what I found, in a lot of places where no calls or data are possible. Even when the phone shows no bars at all, I could still receive and send texts.

BigRAWesty
14th March 2015, 11:39 AM
Dargo is no go. But just north is a little.

Sir Roofy
14th March 2015, 11:48 AM
Its hit and miss all over mate sometimes its just a small window on the ridge your best bet is a sat phone

Bob
15th March 2015, 08:33 AM
I was once camped on the King River just below the King Hut and needed to check for Phone calls every day as I was running my business then.
Used to drive for 30/40 minutes twice a day up to a ridge to get reception.
When leaving the Camp on the way home I turned on the Phone and within 40 yards of the Camp I had full reception.Deep in a valley but somehow it worked.
As Roofy said very Hit & Miss.

Winnie
15th March 2015, 08:47 AM
Dargo is no go. But just north is a little.

I get quite a bit of service in Dargo. Can make calls and even use the Web.

lucus30
15th March 2015, 09:31 AM
I get quite a bit of service in Dargo. Can make calls and even use the Web.

Telstra???

Winnie
15th March 2015, 09:33 AM
Telstra???

Yes........

threedogs
15th March 2015, 09:39 AM
We took a heap of international tourist up Woodpoint, Licola, Pinnacles and Dargo a few years back.
One of our guest was Japanese and took his laptap to the Pinnacles tower to record the sounds
then email them to his mum in Japan, was state of the art back then just second nature now I guess

Tonks
18th March 2015, 05:16 PM
In the High Country now, had reception at Mt Wellington yesterday arvo, camped at Millers Hut last night, also got reception at Talbotville,
We did the Zeka Spur track & The Butcher Country track the other day,
Heading out tomorrow on the Basalt Knob & Blue Rag Track and back up Billy Goats Bluff,
Cheers Tonks

AB
18th March 2015, 05:39 PM
In the High Country now, had reception at Mt Wellington yesterday arvo, camped at Millers Hut last night, also got reception at Talbotville,
Heading out tomorrow on the Basalt Knob & Blue Rag Track and back up Billy Goats Bluff,
Cheers Tonks

We like photos Tonks :)

Tonks
18th March 2015, 05:45 PM
AB will do when back home

happygu
18th March 2015, 09:03 PM
Cheers Tonks

Damn it all, we were there last weekend, as I led a small club trip, and camped right out at the Sentinels, past Millers Hut .... if I had have known I could have given you some tips ..... some of my favourite country right there ....

Hope you are enjoying it

Mic