PDA

View Full Version : Help with toggle switch...

mullet_hunter
13th March 2015, 07:51 PM
Ok this ones for all u guys running 20 diffrent toggle switches in ur rig.. lol.. what pin number goes to what? Cheers and thanks in advance..

mudski
13th March 2015, 08:08 PM
I'm guessing 4 is power supply, 6 is too the driving lights and 1 is power for when you turn your headlights on it will illuminate the switch.

mullet_hunter
13th March 2015, 08:28 PM
I thought that one of the 3 would be earth and when the power and earth contact to complete a full circuit it would iluminate the switch and also what ever lights are cmming off it.. in my setup its the trigger wire for my relay which should power my lights.. or does this switch just run a power and a acc power for the light on switch?

BigRAWesty
13th March 2015, 08:35 PM
I thought that one of the 3 would be earth and when the power and earth contact to complete a full circuit it would iluminate the switch and also what ever lights are cmming off it.. in my setup its the trigger wire for my relay which should power my lights.. or does this switch just run a power and a acc power for the light on switch?

Yea you'll need an earth for the led to work.

So just working off a few Google images.

3 is feed to the lights, 1 is the positive and 6 is the earth.

mudski
13th March 2015, 08:40 PM

Yeah your correct. Old mate Jack Daniels is working it's wonders right now... lol

mullet_hunter
13th March 2015, 08:54 PM
Ok il give it a quick check n report back..

mullet_hunter
13th March 2015, 09:33 PM
Ok i think this switch is dodge ebay spesh.. its not working.. blowing my fuses and heating up the wiring... light comes on and off with power and earth conected.. but if i go to conect my other trigger wire...the switch lights comes on and when i hit the switch the light just brightens... wtf?

BigRAWesty
13th March 2015, 09:37 PM
Ok i think this switch is dodge ebay spesh.. its not working.. blowing my fuses and heating up the wiring... light comes on and off with power and earth conected.. but if i go to conect my other trigger wire...the switch lights comes on and when i hit the switch the light just brightens... wtf?

Your running your lights threw a relay yea??

the evil twin
13th March 2015, 09:41 PM
I would call it as
1 = earth
4 = accessory/relay trigger
5 = supply

There is no pin 2 or 6 so it isn't a dual illuminated switch IE 1 led with dash lights and a 2nd when it is activated

4 is short to 3 so when there is power at 4 (switch activated) the internal LED will illuminate thru the earth on 1

Could be wrong tho

mullet_hunter
13th March 2015, 11:48 PM
Yep running lights through a relay... so ones a earth one, another is power feed then the 3rd is output/trigger to relay... i cnt gett it to wrk maybe i just got a dodgey switch? Will test tomorrow with multimeter...thnks all who have replied..

threedogs
14th March 2015, 08:12 AM
you dont want earth and power touches when you flick the switch, that'll surely melt some wires

BigRAWesty
14th March 2015, 01:49 PM
Pop it open mate and see what damage is done.

the evil twin
14th March 2015, 04:03 PM
Was my guess wrong?
Dang!
I was maybe 90% confident with that.

mullet_hunter
14th March 2015, 11:12 PM
Was my guess wrong? Dang! I was maybe 90% confident with that.
I havnt bothered retesting the switch.. What's the preferd method if testing with multimeter?

the evil twin
15th March 2015, 02:00 PM
I havnt bothered retesting the switch.. What's the preferd method if testing with multimeter?

Set the meter to resistance, preferably 'diode' scale if it has one

Jot down a quick test grid so you don't get confused, in this case
Switch 'off'
Red lead on 5 to 4
Red lead on 5 to 1
Red lead on 4 to 1
Switch 'on'
Red lead on 5 to 4
Red lead on 5 to 1
Red lead on 4 to 1
then do the same with the multimeter leads reversed.

If, I stress IF the switch is setup as I am guessing...

The two terminals that are high both ways in the 'off' switch position and low both ways in the 'on' is your power and switched

The two terminals that are high one way and low the other when you swap multimeter lead polarity whether the switch is 'on' or 'off' is your led

The two terminals that are low only when the switch is 'on' and the leads only one way is your power and led earth, the terminal with the red lead on it is power and the terminal with the black lead is earth, the remaining terminal is switched and the switch itself is in the 'on' position.

mullet_hunter
15th March 2015, 09:51 PM
Set the meter to resistance, preferably 'diode' scale if it has one

Jot down a quick test grid so you don't get confused, in this case
Switch 'off'
Red lead on 5 to 4
Red lead on 5 to 1
Red lead on 4 to 1
Switch 'on'
Red lead on 5 to 4
Red lead on 5 to 1
Red lead on 4 to 1
then do the same with the multimeter leads reversed.

If, I stress IF the switch is setup as I am guessing...

The two terminals that are high both ways in the 'off' switch position and low both ways in the 'on' is your power and switched

The two terminals that are high one way and low the other when you swap multimeter lead polarity whether the switch is 'on' or 'off' is your led

The two terminals that are low only when the switch is 'on' and the leads only one way is your power and led earth, the terminal with the red lead on it is power and the terminal with the black lead is earth, the remaining terminal is switched and the switch itself is in the 'on' position.

ok here results from the test..
had multimeter set to ohms 20k

results for off position

red to pin 6 black to pin 4 = 1
red to pin 6 black to pin 1 = 1
red to pin 4 black to pin 1 = 0.03

results for switch on

red to pin 6 black to pin 4 = 0.00
red to pin 6 black to pin 1 = 0.03
red to pin 4 black to pin 1 = 0.03

results were exactly the same with changing from red to black in the above sequence...

so can someone tell me whats what from the above readings or should my multimeter be giving me different readings?

the evil twin
16th March 2015, 12:11 AM
You don't have a pin 6 for starters.

Anyway... that is sort of the results I would expect to see if it as I posted before.

Pin 5 is 12 volt power
Pin 4 is the switched terminal IE when the switch is off no power at 4 and when the switch is on 4 is short to power
Pin 4 is externally shorted to what would be pin 3.
The internal LED should be between 3 and 1
Pin 1 is earth and it's only job is to be an earth for the LED not to do any switching

Depending on your multimeter it is possible your LED cct is knackered or my guess is wrong