PDA

View Full Version : Gu vs gq housings, differenxes.

Punderhead
13th March 2015, 06:58 PM
Hi all.

Have the opportunity to purchase a front gu front diff housing for a song. It's just the bare housing. I know the diff centre will swap across. But what about the swivel hubs? I presume I will need gu cvs and axles? What about seal kits?

Thanks

Cheers.

nissannewby
14th March 2015, 08:50 AM
Yes you will need GU axles and CV's. The ball/knuckle on the GU housing is larger to accomdate the larger CV joint. I am pretty sure that apart from the wiper seals for the ball/knuckle mostof the bearings are the same.I know the inner axle seals are the same.

Clunk
14th March 2015, 10:24 AM
and if you change one, don't you need to change the other?

Sent from my MZ604 using Forum Fiend v1.3.2.

liftlid
14th March 2015, 10:45 AM
By the time you get all the other parts it's possibly cheaper to get complete unit

nissannewby
14th March 2015, 11:04 AM
and if you change one, don't you need to change the other?

Sent from my MZ604 using Forum Fiend v1.3.2.

You dont have to but you will end up with a different track to the rear. If you can then yes its better to swap both.

the evil twin
14th March 2015, 11:25 AM
You dont have to but you will end up with a different track to the rear. If you can then yes its better to swap both.

Agree... the track will change by 40mm
40mm isn't a huge difference like the V8 cruisers which at 100mm do cause some 'interesting' handling issues if the driver isn't aware

If you leave the GQ rear in the vehicle and notice the difference at all it will be most obvious at max noise on soft surfaces esp soft sand and dunes

Narrower rear track increases power oversteer which can be very handy on the race track but the fish tailing can occasionally be a PIA out in the weeds

MudRunnerTD
14th March 2015, 12:51 PM
By the time you get all the other parts it's possibly cheaper to get complete unit

100% agree! It would want to be free mate! Even then it will cost you big bucks to set up. Buy a complete front diff hub to hub including brakes. With or without the centre. Would it look at a bare case other than as a spare.

Punderhead
14th March 2015, 06:15 PM
Mainly interested in the housing as it has an x-link fitted. However as I have just gotten new seals, wheel bearings, etc for my gq diff I might give it a miss. Thanks fellas.

Cheers

Ben-e-boy
14th March 2015, 08:30 PM
if you do end up going with an x-link, it would be benificial to get something like bud's customs longarms to help with the front geometry with long travel