PDA

View Full Version : got my insurance money.. now..

bishbashbosh
12th March 2015, 05:16 PM
..what should i get?

i must admit i have been looking at a few troopies as an option.. hangs head.. but any thoughts on the patrols here? I'm so lost with all of this and everything seems the same now!

here are a few Ive looked at so far online..

No. 1 (http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Nissan-Patrol-2001/SSE-AD-3203511/?Cr=53)

No. 2 (http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Nissan-Patrol-1999/SSE-AD-3215235/?Cr=51)

No. 3 (http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Nissan-Patrol-1998/SSE-AD-3222155/?Cr=41)

No. 4 (http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Nissan-Patrol-2002/SSE-AD-3294916/?Cr=38)

No. 5 (http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Nissan-Patrol-2002/SSE-AD-3214191/?Cr=76)

No. 6 (http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Nissan-Patrol-2002/SSE-AD-2989333/?Cr=84)

I will obviously need to organise a pre purchase inspection and then if one is a go, i then need to look at getting the truck shipped up to Alice.. I'm going nuts without any 4WD and just want to head off bush on my days off!

Any thoughts?

mudski
12th March 2015, 05:23 PM
Given that, that era of Patrol up to 2004 there is almost no difference in body style. If I had to choose out of those, I would go option 3. Albeit the oldest and a DX, its has a few goodies on it. Plus the TD42T is a deal breaker for me. And low k's for its age. 200k its just been run in... You need to work out if you want a petrol or diesel first I reckon. If you don't car, well work out on paper what accessories come with the car and price it up and compare. But if it has extras you know you won't need or want, which I doubt, then maybe look at others.

lucus30
12th March 2015, 05:27 PM
2,3,4,5 look OK. The 1st one has all the gear but 20k is too much for a 4.5 auto IMHO

I guess it comes down to if you want diesel or petrol.

Personally for a bush pig I'd go the 4.8 petrol but if you wanted to do any big trips or even minor touring hands down the 4.2s. Everybody says without a turbo they are gutless but have personally never driven one

Seen as your now out of the big smoke I'd be inclined for diesel also

bishbashbosh
12th March 2015, 05:29 PM
To be honest the extras dont really matter as i can fitout to my own liking again as i go along. i want decent suspension, wheels, long range tank if possible, and more than anything a solid engine.

I'm not to phased about diesel or petrol - although it does seem that the engine on diesel outlasts petrol eh..

only thing with option 3 is no RW

lucus30
12th March 2015, 05:33 PM
To be honest the extras dont really matter as i can fitout to my own liking again as i go along. i want decent suspension, wheels, long range tank if possible, and more than anything a solid engine.

I'm not to phased about diesel or petrol - although it does seem that the engine on diesel outlasts petrol eh..

only thing with option 3 is no RW

The 4.5 is reliable especially when not on gas but is pretty gutless and chews the juice. I only prefer diesel for range reasons and availibilty reasons which are massive pros in my book

The 4.8s and 4.5s if not on gas are both fine reliability wise but the 4.8s go so much harder though fuel wise same as 4.5s

4.2 NA I don't know much about but would expect them to be reliable also.

bishbashbosh
12th March 2015, 05:35 PM
@Lucus30

im more interested in creating a new tourer.. solid performer and can take me the distance.. i'll be happy driving a little slower and with more caution anyway i think after that accident also..

scraping the first!

lucus30
12th March 2015, 05:38 PM
@Lucus30

im more interested in creating a new tourer.. solid performer and can take me the distance.. i'll be happy driving a little slower and with more caution anyway i think after that accident also..

scraping the first!

Fair enough if that 4.5 was 10k cheaper it would be a good buy ha ha

Agree with Mudski number 3 is probably the best. Didn't see it had an aftermarket turbo yup I'd go 3 lol

MudRunnerTD
12th March 2015, 05:47 PM
What do you mean no RW? I reckon 3 looks great but the kms don't look right to me!!! Very very low kms for a 17 year old car! My 2005 has 250k on it.

I haven't looked at the rest. How much are you willing to spend? I wouldbe chasing a Deisel for the Outback as the only real option.

Stropp
12th March 2015, 05:50 PM
yep i see number 3 as the better deal if it checks out as ok if not number 2, i would get someone to check that no3 out for you and they should be able to give you the run down on it, but i would still hit em hard with the price as you can always go up in price if they refuse.

MudRunnerTD
12th March 2015, 05:52 PM
Nah if your happy to do a few mods yourself then number 2 is by far the best and appears the most honest add there. It's an unmolested TD42t with service history and only second owner. Looks clean and tidy. 316k sounds more realistic. Tidy car

bishbashbosh
12th March 2015, 05:52 PM
RW = Road Worthy.. Sorry

In an ideal world 20k which would include getting her to Alice and on road costs.. I'm gonna have to loan a bit of it but I don't want to um and argh over a few grand if it means the difference between a solid truck or an average truck!

Diesel it is as outback is where I'll be spending most of my time

lucus30
12th March 2015, 05:54 PM
Yup pretty much what I was saying outback = diesel

bishbashbosh
12th March 2015, 05:57 PM
thumbs up!

Do we know anyone here in the ACT?

I'm sure I can hassle a few vic cats to check out the other for me

Always anxious with used cars and especially when I'm buying out of sight'

lucus30
12th March 2015, 06:05 PM
thumbs up!

Do we know anyone here in the ACT?

I'm sure I can hassle a few vic cats to check out the other for me

Always anxious with used cars and especially when I'm buying out of sight'

Nisshead is ACT

the evil twin
12th March 2015, 06:57 PM
#2 looks a good honest truck

#3 might be ridgy didge but I dunno, it just doesn't seem kosher

BigRAWesty
12th March 2015, 07:19 PM
The td42 turbo.
Mate 370 is only middle of the road for that engine. That's if it's been looked after.

The td42 na are slow yes but reliable as.
Mine has 515 thou on the clock and still runs like new.
Unfortunately it's keeping everything else going which is the issue.

bishbashbosh
13th March 2015, 08:36 AM
Thanks all.. and if anyone knows of anything else that would be suitable give me a nudge please?

So much up here to see and although I get to hang out with the nurses all day that will only get me in trouble in the long run.. so need something else to occupy this mind!

threedogs
13th March 2015, 08:45 AM
Yeah Billy remember all your driving will be mainly hwy as in getting to destinations then the 4x4 side of it.
what are the fuel prices in town, I would buy a diesel its a no brainer for me.
If your happy to get another 4.5 having lived with one for a while all good.
Have you looked at any ex teltra utes etc great way to go if you deck out the rear

Wheres Avonsleigh in Vic ??

threedogs
13th March 2015, 09:11 AM
Might just be the way the turbo is set up emission wise why he wont do a RWC

Bob
13th March 2015, 09:15 AM
r

Wheres Avonsleigh in Vic ??

Here you go ..

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place/Avonsleigh+VIC+3782/@-37.9238054,145.5362119,13z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x6b29d8bdd36e2feb:0x5045675218cdd 70?hl=en

Avo
13th March 2015, 09:18 AM
there was this one on here not long ago..
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?32209-GU-4-2-for-sale

bishbashbosh
13th March 2015, 09:25 AM
Thought about a ute but the ones that seem to come up are the troopies - Thought about a canvas back..

Im gonna do the diesel this time round now i have the opportunity and knowledge..

Avonsleigh is out at cockatoo/emerald on the east

bishbashbosh
13th March 2015, 09:29 AM
might check out see if still around.. thanks wa 489

Cuppa
13th March 2015, 10:23 AM
there was this one on here not long ago..
http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?32209-GU-4-2-for-sale

I’d forgotten about that one. If he still has it I reckon it would be great buying. Definitely worth investigating further. I’ve seen pics of the new motor. Vehicle has been used to tow a caravan, not 4wd’ing. Reason for new motor was that a hose came off & cooked the old one. FWIW the bloke seems pretty genuine to me.

happygu
13th March 2015, 12:02 PM
I am thinking No.2 as well Billy ... looks clean and original ... great for its age.

No.3 is good too, but as mentioned it seems a little suspect on the k's, as it would need to be driven fairly irregularly for those k's in that timeframe, and I am not so sure that if I spent thousands on it to get it where it is today, that I wouldn't want to drive it to get my moneys worth.

Diesel is the way to go in Alice, and you used to be able to drive up to the Shell Servo on the north edge of town - jump out to the back pumps for the trucks and the diesel was 3 or 4 cents cheaper than out the front .... not sure if it is still the same.

Petrol will never be cheap out there either, and can be harder to get in remote areas ( although I have always got Petrol before when I have needed it )

threedogs
13th March 2015, 12:09 PM
No.2 looks like an honest 4x4 and price leaves you
with a bit to get it to you and a long range tank or two.

Loved it when I lived in Alice,,,, $20 of fuel and a carton of Vic please, think it was the Shell north of town too lol

I had a troopy for over 20 years would I buy one again answer is what do I drive now.
Only good thing about a troopy is you can put a pallet of beer in the back.
OK on flat roads not so good on the rocky articulating stuff, it went well though
helped by double diff locks, and long range aux tank 75ltr

FWIW the closer to stock spec engine wise the better you will be,
all you need worry about is oil every 5000k and filters. Or spread the love and find a decent mechanic
to go wheeling with.

Doing hwy Ks all the time can only be good for the motor IMO,
not so much just starting it to get to work so maybe buy a push bike
If you're not too far out of town

bishbashbosh
13th March 2015, 01:58 PM
Living in the nurses quarters (wink wink) so work is ten steps away and I can walk this town!!

Hopefully I'll hear back from the guy soon about the truck and have messaged nisshead..

Or the dark side it is..

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Toyota-Landcruiser-1998/SSE-AD-3203995

threedogs
13th March 2015, 02:02 PM
Living in the nurses quarters (wink wink) so work is ten steps away and I can walk this town!!

Hopefully I'll hear back from the guy soon about the truck and have messaged nisshead..

Or the dark side it is..

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Toyota-Landcruiser-1998/SSE-AD-3203995

Good motor but mate its as slow as all get out you will be disappointed, Im a member of the TLCCV
I wouldnt even buy one, but for plodding along day in day out weeeeeelllllllll
how many seats 3, 6 or 11?? toooo slow mate sorry plus its 17 yo

EDIT had a look its an early RV 6 seater like mine,

plus its leaf springs all around, dreaming @ $17k only worth $10 IMO

only good point is the dual 90 litre tanks

bishbashbosh
13th March 2015, 02:12 PM
Thrown on the scrap heap!

Thanks 3D

threedogs
13th March 2015, 02:16 PM
Mate your back will thank you . I know its Toyota Territory and all that but thats the same shape as my 89 model.
There have been 2 maybe 3 model changes after that one in 98. yeah steer clear damn near shite my self thinking you were going to buy it lol

Maxhead
13th March 2015, 07:52 PM

Sorry to interupt your quite time with the nurses..lol, but has the bloke from Canberra got back to you??

bishbashbosh
13th March 2015, 08:20 PM
Haha!

I just woke and just checked email.. He just responded and will send you a PM!

Thanks fella

bishbashbosh
14th March 2015, 07:59 AM
With truck 3 folk mentioning that the k's seem a little suss - is there anyway to working out if the are original?

How easy is it to fiddle with the odometer in these trucks?

I would not mind checking it out as it looks clean.. Just worried if it'd be worth while.. Could have my dad drive this one up to me!

threedogs
14th March 2015, 08:07 AM
Remember up there you go over the pits every year for REGO I think

bishbashbosh
14th March 2015, 09:17 AM
@3D - yeah was told that - it's why it's an idea to buy interstate I think

threedogs
14th March 2015, 09:55 AM
you'll have to NT reg it any way if you stay longer than 3 months I think,
Cheaper rego there anyway

happygu
14th March 2015, 09:56 AM
Billy,

You only get three months to change rego over to the new state where you live ...... but you would be unlikely to be picked up, especially where there are so many tourists from the rest of Aus.

I changed mine over as we were there for three years and I didn't want to take the risk, but with electronic checking and cross checking between all sorts of organizations these days, I think the risk is a little greater....

bishbashbosh
14th March 2015, 11:53 AM
Any Melbourne folk fancy checking it out for me? Worth a few slabs yeah?

:D

threedogs
14th March 2015, 12:54 PM
Im snookered for the next two weeks with the surgeon and doctors appointments

bishbashbosh
14th March 2015, 08:16 PM
@3D - all good buddy.. I hope you're closer to a fix!

threedogs
15th March 2015, 10:28 AM
You'd think they were getting closer, as I said waiting for the OK now since early Feb.
The way the insurance work [slow] I'm not expecting to get my surgery before Xmas this year.
I will however ring in a month and they will say and I quote "We have received no request for surgery "
and the games begin

bishbashbosh
16th March 2015, 07:58 PM
The health and finance system is for the rich only!

Anyone know this truck? It's westside melbourne!

Check out this Nissan Patrol.
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Nissan-Patrol-2002/SSE-AD-2989333

MEGOMONSTER
16th March 2015, 08:05 PM
The health and finance system is for the rich only! Anyone know this truck? It's westside melbourne! Check out this Nissan Patrol. http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Nissan-Patrol-2002/SSE-AD-2989333 Obviously no road worthy provided. Cos he'll never get one "legitimately"

bishbashbosh
16th March 2015, 08:30 PM
Due to the lift?

Is there anyway around it without messing with things?

Winnie
16th March 2015, 08:35 PM
Due to the lift?

Is there anyway around it without messing with things?

Borrow some stock Springs for a few days... Easy!

Rock Trol
16th March 2015, 10:54 PM
Question is, do you really want something with such a high centre of gravity in the outback? Easier to roll!

A 2 inch lift and 32-33 inch tyres is all you really want. You won't have any problems over the dunes or on the tracks. That car looks like a High Country special.

bishbashbosh
17th March 2015, 07:11 AM
Rolled once.. Lesson learnt!

;)

bishbashbosh
22nd March 2015, 07:03 PM
I just got a new truck.. No.2 in the list!

Massive thanks to nisshead and someone else from the forum who went with him?? Thanks heaps fellas I really appreciate it!

Now time to hand over my cash.. Always hate this bit but fingers crossed she is a winner!

the evil twin
22nd March 2015, 07:10 PM
Good choice...

Maxhead
22nd March 2015, 08:13 PM
I just got a new truck.. No.2 in the list!

Massive thanks to nisshead and someone else from the forum who went with him?? Thanks heaps fellas I really appreciate it!

Now time to hand over my cash.. Always hate this bit but fingers crossed she is a winner!

I nearly bought it after driving it myself ....lol BTW, It was Nic (rustynail) that came down to check it out with me mate

Cuppa
22nd March 2015, 08:28 PM
Congrats on the purchase & ‘nice one’ Nisshead & Rusty. :)

jack
22nd March 2015, 08:31 PM
Well done Billy, and Kris and Nic. What a great forum.

Rock Trol
22nd March 2015, 09:13 PM
Congratulations! It looks like a sweet ride and exactly what you want for the outback.

katwoman
22nd March 2015, 11:34 PM
Funny..... I just saw that car on the banner at the top of the page, and thought mmmmmmmm that's nice..... Gorgeous, hope you're happy with it.

Stropp
22nd March 2015, 11:41 PM
Well done guys on checking it out and congrats on the buy, now if you need someone to drive it to Alice lol.

jay see
23rd March 2015, 12:17 AM
Just checked it out.
Wow, its not white, its perfect.

Looks good mate. Enjoy.

bishbashbosh
23rd March 2015, 07:11 AM
Thumbs up to Rustsynails also - thanks buddy!

It's an amazing forum..

lucus30
23rd March 2015, 08:40 AM
Exciting mate should have your self a good rig there. Looking forward to you getting it and start the mods

threedogs
23rd March 2015, 09:14 AM
well done Billy may you have many, many trouble free miles matey

bishbashbosh
23rd March 2015, 11:24 AM
Thumbs up all!

Winnie
23rd March 2015, 11:52 AM
Very very tidy car mate, nicely done!

threedogs
23rd March 2015, 01:22 PM
Thumbs up all!

Now let the outback set up mods begin, best bet would be check some local set ups.
I've a feeling it'll be different than ours.

First thing Id put in it would be a snake bite kit after what happened to the poor guy in the Dual cab
who was travelling alone.2nd would be an EPIRB regardless

Stropp
23rd March 2015, 02:34 PM
Now let the outback set up mods begin, best bet would be check some local set ups.
I've a feeling it'll be different than ours.

First thing Id put in it would be a snake bite kit after what happened to the poor guy in the Dual cab
who was travelling alone.2nd would be an EPIRB regardless

and the water tank

threedogs
23rd March 2015, 03:10 PM
If you do go the water tank way Billy I have a 55lt bladder
that sits on the floor behind the driver and passenger.
Going cheap if it suits your needs it didnt suit my setup
brand new, and already been cleaned to get plastic smell out

bishbashbosh
11th April 2015, 03:21 PM
Wooo.. I'm back!

How are you all?

The truck arrived start of the week and very happy with it! Thx guys for checking it out for me!

Fingers crossed she gives me years of pleasure with out too much coin!

I'll be putting those sway bars back on.. Not comfortable with that body roll when taking corners! Shate my pants!

Need to work out how PO set up his dual battery system as there are wires going everywhere.. It has a redarc isolater under the bonnet so I might just leave it for now but would like to attach my ctek so I have the option of solar power but then again maybe better to leave it as is as the dual battery's are all under the bonnet.. Maybe just sell the ctek off..?

Will attach my baintech power panel as this has the voltage meter on it..

Rear lights have been modified so no need to get the old empty shells wired up!

Spot lights are beautiful and bright..

The winch and air compressor are working lovely and I got a full size ARB roof rack!

Will add rear drawers shortly and get my fridge back in!

Need some new tires..

Need to learn how to use the uhf.. Will also be getting a personal beacon for safety this time round.

Get around 850km on fuel tanks so the PO stated - will monitor that and if correct no need for an upgrade.

Any mods I should make to the engine?

Have noticed I get a run on when turning off. Is this common in a 4.2TD?

4bye4
11th April 2015, 03:25 PM
Pictures??

bishbashbosh
12th April 2015, 06:27 PM
Photo's coming!

growler2058
12th April 2015, 06:34 PM
:useless:

Mine used to run on occasionally. I think it had something to do with the fuel shut off. Did it intermittently

bishbashbosh
14th April 2015, 08:05 PM
i really need to get proper net connection up here.. have to smuggle myself into the library after hours to get a decent connection!!

shhhhh..

Can anyone tell me about the engine? not sure what these two tubs are in photo 5?

So far pretty happy - Need to give her a good drive now and then save up for a major service so i know where i'm at and get some drawers in place. Not going to mess with the dual battery system just yet as i don't have solar and i think the redarc smart isolator will do what i need..

A few photos - Not the best but will get more of the outside soon.. All rego'd for NT!

Rock Trol
14th April 2015, 08:11 PM
Looks good. Tyres look OK. Does it have a lift?
With the dual battery there probably is not too much else that needs done urgently. Maybe a service.

Maxhead
14th April 2015, 08:12 PM
I've seen that car before I think....hahahaha.
I hope it treats you well mate :)

bishbashbosh
14th April 2015, 08:16 PM
its got a 2 inch OME lift which i think is pretty new - tyres i'll be updating soon as they seem a bit worn - really want to get some drawers in the back so i can get things in order also. winch and air compressor working nicely.

i agree a good service so i know where i'm at with her..

i also purchased a personal beacon also just in case anything happens in the future!

bishbashbosh
14th April 2015, 08:18 PM
hey Nisshead!!

I believe you have too.. and thank you!!!!

all good so far.. got the sway bars put back on as a part of the roadworthy testing up here.. glad as i was not keen on that body roll!

Rock Trol
14th April 2015, 08:23 PM
bishbashbosh, you might want to update your Location as you are still showing up as a Mexican.

bishbashbosh
14th April 2015, 08:39 PM
nah i'll stay the dirty mexican.. once a mexican always a mexican.. yeeeba yeeeba!!!

:thumbup:

Maxhead
14th April 2015, 08:44 PM
bishbashbosh, you might want to update your Location as you are still showing up as a Mexican.

Haha, he should be a red neck up there in Alice...lol

bishbashbosh
14th April 2015, 08:50 PM
i'm still speaking all posh up here.. i reckon another month and i'll be fitting in perfectly!

got stung by a bee on sunday and now on anti biotics due to now having cellulitus of my arm.. a bloody bee sting.. you go from healthy to septic in minutes here.. but hey i'm still loving this part of the country!!

Maxhead
14th April 2015, 09:00 PM
I spent a week there and loved every minute of it mate, so I'm sure you will have a ball ....if you can get over to Glen Helen gorge and get on the open door chopper for a look around:)

Rock Trol
14th April 2015, 09:08 PM
nah i'll stay the dirty mexican.. once a mexican always a mexican.. yeeeba yeeeba!!!

:thumbup:

OK speedy, I'll just go off and eat some crow. Maybe this will make you feel homesick! :groupwave:

bishbashbosh
7th May 2015, 07:25 PM
Quick one..

In photo 5 on page 7 can someone tell me what those black cylinders are? and how can I find if the EGR thing is blocked off?

Rock Trol
7th May 2015, 08:14 PM
I don't have them on my car (CRD) but it looks like part of the air-conditioner. The air con pipes run in that area and one of them has a little extension coming off the side with a plastic cover. That may be used to re-gas the system. Do you have a picture showing more of the engine bay?
Follow the lines and if they go into the front of the car into the air con radiator then they will be part of the system. Are the canisters plastic or metal?

Stropp
8th May 2015, 01:05 AM
Thats the vacuum canister for the brakes, for the egr you can look on the drivers side of the engine and see the egr valve, if there is a thin piece of metal sandwiched in there the egr will be blocked, will see if I can get a pic of mine tomorrow.

threedogs
8th May 2015, 02:14 PM
have you got a pic of your new Patrol with nurses hanging all over it,,,,,,,,,Please
Is it in Alice yet?

threedogs
8th May 2015, 02:16 PM

Nothing wrong with a Mexican having a hiatus elsewhere

Rock Trol
8th May 2015, 04:54 PM
Nothing wrong with a Mexican having a hiatus elsewhere

:) You can take the man out of Mexico but you can't take Mexico out of the man!

4bye4
8th May 2015, 05:09 PM
" Patrol with nurses hanging all over it"
Start a ne wthread just for that TD

bishbashbosh
11th May 2015, 08:51 AM
no nurses hanging off the patrol.. will have to take them out for drinks first and then i'm sure they'd be up for it!

crazy bunch here i tell you!

threedogs
11th May 2015, 12:33 PM
no nurses hanging off the patrol.. will have to take them out for drinks first and then i'm sure they'd be up for it!

crazy bunch here i tell you!

Crazy and nurse ,now theres two words you like to see together lol
New Patrol going well I take it??

bishbashbosh
11th May 2015, 03:24 PM
loving the new patrol.. got some photos of the engine bay to put up so you guys can help me identify parts!

took her out to palm valley, rainbow valley and along the owen springs 4x4 track.. absolutley loved it!

threedogs
11th May 2015, 04:36 PM
Plenty of history that way for sure , theres Stanleys chasm and Simpsons gap.
I think they moved Flynns grave as they used one of the Devils marbles for the
monument. You'll have to try all the tourist things like eating Camel[ok] some Buff[ Gamey] and Croc[ chicken lol]
My old haunt was 18 Bath street behind the PO
Is your new ride a factory 4.2 or a converted 3ltr

bishbashbosh
11th May 2015, 05:06 PM
only place i aint done is standley chasm, redbank gorge and henbury meteorites in the west macs - once ive done them i'll venture out into the east macs which im looking forward to as it is drier and has lots of sacred sites with rock art.. should be amazing!

then i'll leave kings canyon and uluru for a good five day trip through both!

bishbashbosh
11th May 2015, 05:07 PM
whats at 18 bath street?

it is a factory 4.2 from what i know.. i'll upload some engine pictures later..

dads tractor
11th May 2015, 09:14 PM
bbb go out on the Glen Helen road and when you are about to cross the Hugh Rv crossing take the gravel road along the range on your right and follow that all the way back to the Macs .Two places to see right hand fork when your nearly up to the range is Fish hole and just back from there is Hugh Gorge left fork .Pm me for more spots.

threedogs
12th May 2015, 09:36 AM
18 Bath st was my old haunt probably not there now
Dont forget to go out Finke way, there is a guy in town
who makes furniture from the redgum sleepers from the old Ghan lin
Polished 100yr old redgum MMMMMmmmmmmmmm
OOI how much is diesel??

Cuppa
12th May 2015, 10:39 AM
only place i aint done is standley chasm, redbank gorge and henbury meteorites in the west macs - once ive done them i'll venture out into the east macs which im looking forward to as it is drier and has lots of sacred sites with rock art.. should be amazing!

then i'll leave kings canyon and uluru for a good five day trip through both!

Tylers Pass lookout & Tnorala is worth a visit if you haven’t made it there yet. http://www.nt.gov.au/westmacs/places/tnorala.
Serpentine Gorge is worth the walk...... possible to find some beautiful little quiet spots on the water to chill out for a while.
Redbank Gorge is worth the swim - it’ll be cold though. We got told of snakes in the water but didn’t see any - go right to the end.
Howards lookout (aka Point Howard - drive up a rise on the left somewhere along Larapinta Drive - bitumen) gives great views right along the West Macs & good for an overnight stop (no facilities but an amazing place to wake up for brekkie).

When you get out to Uluru - the ‘Valley of the Winds’ walk through Kata Tjuta is an absolute must - it is truly spectacular!

I’m envious - loved that part of the country & want to exlpore a lot more out there - beyond the main tourist spots. East & West Macs are both great, but I prefer the West.

I’m led to believe the drive out to Boggy Hole is a very enjoyable adventure with good camping (despite it’s name)....... it’s on my ‘to do’ list.

dads tractor
13th May 2015, 01:27 AM
Boggy Hole is a great spot follow the Hugh down too the Junction water hole and when you drop into the Finke just keep going . Best to go with a local to pick up the turn off or go the conservation commission and see read their instructions . Fill the tanks up you can end up at the henbry meteorite craters heavey slog though sand though .

bishbashbosh
13th May 2015, 08:58 AM
3D - diesel at the shell is 1.39 and has not changed since i arrived - strange as other stations seem to be much more and go up and down!

Cuppa redbank and goose bluff is on my list - i've done the rest in west mac - although i did not swim in Serpentine Gorge due to the traditional owners dreaming. the west macs are indeed amazing.. but i'm excited for the east as there is lots of rock art!

DT - boggy i've heard is good but would not do it alone - have read horror stories although the traditional owners have used the rent money to install mobile hotspots along the route for 'tourists' using the track who become stranded.

dads tractor
13th May 2015, 12:34 PM
Watch out for dark spots in damp areas you will be digging and sinking for awhile they are like quick sand .drop the tyre pressures down to 15_18 psi go to low range and use the whole box you will nail it .

http://www.parksandwildlife.nt.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/10585/Finke-4WD-Route.pdf

bishbashbosh
13th May 2015, 01:58 PM
bloody looks nerve racking.. ummm.. things to do list!

;)