PDA

View Full Version : It's just been one of those days!

YNOT
16th March 2011, 09:43 PM
I won't go into details on here but but had a c$%p day at work today, then on the way home I got a phone call from my wife to say a warning light had just come on in her BA Falcon wagon. A quick scan of the owners manual revealed it was the brake fail warning light-not good.
A quick look under the bonnet when I got home and the brake fluid reservoir was almost completely empty. I stuck my head under the back of the car and saw brake fluid all over the RHR spring and chassis, dripping off! I got her to slowly push down on the brake pedal to find exactly where it was leaking from and found the brake hose to the calliper split. OK so no big deal to replace a brake hose, until I went to take the wheel off for better access. that's when I found one of the wheel nuts had picked up a thread on the stud. I fought with the wheel nut until I eventually got it off but the stud and nut are stuffed. To make matters worse our car has ABS, and the tone wheel for the sensor is blocking the stud from being removed. Now I'm up for a new axle as well!

Tony

nowoolies
16th March 2011, 09:54 PM
bugger not good at all Tony
hope it comes together easy

big_fletch
16th March 2011, 09:54 PM
Stuff like that really just tops the week off doesn't it tony.. I suppose its the joy of owning a car Haha
Hope you get it all sorted mate

the ferret
16th March 2011, 09:56 PM
Bummer of a day eh Tony, can you not sacrifice the bearing and take the tone wheel off to get the stud out and new one in, better than an axle, or am I barking up the wrong tree here?.

Bigrig
16th March 2011, 09:57 PM
No good mate, no fun at all ... at least she and the kids are safe and sound.

YNOT
16th March 2011, 09:59 PM
I suppose it was time the back brakes got some attention, the front recently got new pads and rotars and a left front ABS sensor.

The kids are happy, it means they get driven to kindy in Dads 4WD!

Tony

YNOT
16th March 2011, 10:01 PM
Bummer of a day eh Tony, can you not sacrifice the bearing and take the tone wheel off to get the stud out and new one in, better than an axle, or am I barking up the wrong tree here?.

It stuffs the tone wheel getting them off and if the new tone wheel doesn't go on perfectly straight the ABS won't work. Easier just to get a complete axle from the wreckers-I hope.

Tony

YNOT
16th March 2011, 10:05 PM
No good mate, no fun at all ... at least she and the kids are safe and sound.

Exactly right Scott, she was bringing the kids home from kindy when it happend, thankfully she was only one street from home and could nurse the car home safely.

Tony

Dhuck
16th March 2011, 10:23 PM
Mate that is just a straight out pain in the butt. I worked with alot of ABS vehicles. I hate them, I hate them. Everything is just to sensitive in the mongrels.

Finly Owner
16th March 2011, 10:39 PM
would you believe second BA in 1 week period I know of done rear brake hose. I wonder if it's an age thing Tony. See if there's any ford recall and maybe claim whole lot? I know, if there is a Ford replacement for hose that's all you'll get. Glad Mrs Y Not and little co-drivers are all OK though. At least she new what to do..........CALL YOU! hahaha.

Sorry could resist
Tim

YNOT
16th March 2011, 10:55 PM
Thanks Tim and it is a good thing she knew what to do - stop the car. She wasn't sure what the light was she didn't move the car again until she found out and spoke to me. If she had been further from home I would not have wanted her to drive it at all.
I still have a few contacts at the Ford dealer we used to work at (that's where Bec and I met) so I'll ask them about recalls tomorrow. It will be getting new brake hoses all round regardless of recalls.

Tony

Finly Owner
16th March 2011, 11:15 PM
good just thought I'd mention it. Ya nvr Know.........

xtreme patrol
17th March 2011, 12:17 AM
Yep Sure is a recall on the BA rear hoses had both mine done free of charge a few months ago after the pedal sinking to the floor at a most inconvenient time and got me a new sticker in the door jamb too

Ghost
17th March 2011, 06:39 AM
hey Tony i know your pain the misses car went into get a free brake check and they broke a wheel stud refused to fix it as they said it was "like that before we touched it" i removed the disc to find ABS sensor behind stopped me from removing the stud. I ground the old stud off and was able to remove it in bits. With hers i was able to move the ring back just enough to get the new stud in. 2 weeks later she wrote the car off so was a wasted effort :(

Bob
17th March 2011, 07:29 AM
Jeez I sorry to hear about your troubles Tony. At least your Wife and Kids are safe.

YNOT
18th March 2011, 10:32 PM
Thanks guys, the car is back together now.
I spoke to a mate who works in spare parts at the Ford dealer I used to work for, the only rear brake hose recalls were for IRS models (Falcon sedan and Territory) so did not apply to our wagon. He also said that about 9 months ago he started getting orders for wagon rear hoses from Taxi companies and still gets at least one order a month, so it's not an isolated failure.

After reading Brians reply I decided to rebuild the original axle. The cost was $230 for parts (stud, nut, ABS tone wheel, axle seal, wheel bearing and retainer, and 2 rear brake hoses). With some help from my Dad we pressed of the bearing (destroyed it) and ABS tone wheel (reusable) and replaced the damaged stud. Dad then machined up a collar for reinstalling the tone wheel so we could press it on straight.
Got it all back together tonight, replaced the brake hoses and bled the brakes. I had a close look at the LHR brake hose (it was the RHR that split) and it was also starting to crack in the same spot.
Will clean it and test drive in the morning but it has a good pedal for now.

Tony

Bigrig
18th March 2011, 10:36 PM
I spoke to a mate who works in spare parts at the Ford dealer I used to work for, the only rear brake hose recalls were for IRS models (Falcon sedan and Territory) so did not apply to our wagon. He also said that about 9 months ago he started getting orders for wagon rear hoses from Taxi companies and still gets at least one order a month, so it's not an isolated failure.

After reading Brians reply I decided to rebuild the original axle. The cost was $230 for parts (stud, nut, ABS tone wheel, axle seal, wheel bearing and retainer, and 2 rear brake hoses). With some help from my Dad we pressed of the bearing (destroyed it) and ABS tone wheel (reusable) and replaced the damaged stud. Dad then machined up a collar for reinstalling the tone wheel so we could press it on straight.
Got it all back together tonight, replaced the brake hoses and bled the brakes. I had a close look at the LHR brake hose (it was the RHR that split) and it was also starting to crack in the same spot.

Tony

Good job mate! We'll make a mechanic of you yet!! LOL

Finly Owner
18th March 2011, 10:38 PM

Tony
Better buy new Left hose then and replace very soon Aye.

YNOT
18th March 2011, 10:39 PM
Good job mate! We'll make a mechanic of you yet!! LOL

Thanks Scotty, I probably saved myself about $400 doing the job myself.

Tony

YNOT
18th March 2011, 10:40 PM
Better buy new Left hose then and replace very soon Aye.

Already done. I figured if one was gone the other wouldn't be far behind - not a chance I was willing to take. I'll be having a VERY close look at the front brake hoses tomorrow.

Tony

Bigrig
18th March 2011, 10:43 PM
Thanks Scotty, I probably saved myself about $400 doing the job myself.

Tony

Really??!!! Everytime I touch my rig, it usually ends up costing me $400 to get it fixed!! LMFAO ...

Woof
18th March 2011, 10:45 PM
Glad that the family is OK Tony, that's the main thing mate.

Finly Owner
18th March 2011, 10:49 PM
Really??!!! Everytime I touch my rig, it usually ends up costing me $400 to get it fixed!! LMFAO ...

Mechanics love charging full on, when they find someone with two left hands have touched something they know nothing about. When will you learn? Leave it to the skilled!

PML!

YNOT
18th March 2011, 10:51 PM
Thanks Wayne. The warning light gave her time to stop before the brakes failed completely due to lack of fluid so we were lucky, it could have been a lot worse.

Tony

Bigrig
18th March 2011, 10:51 PM
Mechanics love charging full on, when they find someone with two left hands have touched something they know nothing about. When will you learn? Leave it to the skilled!

PML!

I figure I'm keeping the mechanical worlds economy flowing!! LOL

YNOT
18th March 2011, 10:54 PM
I figure I'm keeping the mechanical worlds economy flowing!! LOL

Drive a bit harder and support the panel beating industries economy as well!
I do believe we have hijacked yet another thread, no matter I'll clean it up later.

Tony

Bigrig
18th March 2011, 10:58 PM
Drive a bit harder and support the panel beating industries economy as well!
I do believe we have hijacked yet another thread, no matter I'll clean it up later.

Tony

Did you not hear? I support that industry as well ... buckled the rear barn door (small one) to the point where I couldn't open it (and then couldn't close it once I forced it open!!) and smashed the rear left tail light assembly when we were up at LCMP.

YNOT
18th March 2011, 11:07 PM
Did you not hear? I support that industry as well ... buckled the rear barn door (small one) to the point where I couldn't open it (and then couldn't close it once I forced it open!!) and smashed the rear left tail light assembly when we were up at LCMP.

You're so generous!

Tony

Bigrig
18th March 2011, 11:18 PM
You're so generous!

Tony

Wish I wasn't!!! LOL