PDA

View Full Version : I've lost FRED!!

mudnut
8th March 2015, 05:04 PM
G'day, All. Well as the title says: I have lost FRED.

Now don't get me wrong, I have had FRED around for close on 42 years. FRED is a bit of a tool, but not as handy as he might think he is.

I first met FRED at Beaumaris when we had lunch, after snorkelling for mussels. My Uncle was in the army, and had brought some ration packs with him. FRED was hiding among the Peek Freans and condensed milk.

I was rapt at receiving FRED and marvelled at his hidden complexities. He was clad in grey-green and had an indent in one end which could almost be construed as a spoon. His usefulness seemed to be never-ending, but in reality he was lacking in many respects.

FRED had a moving part which reminded me of a shark fin, which should've sliced through tin, like a knife through soft butter. After many attempts to open my tin of cheese with FRED, I remember giving up and letting my Uncle use a knife instead of FRED.

After using FRED to apply a generous coat of army issue jam on a Peek Frean, I licked him clean and shoved him in my dive bag.

Over the years I was re-aquainted with FRED many times, but eventually he slipped quietly into the background and I had forgotten he existed.

A few months ago, when I was at Cape Jaffa, Mrs mudsane had a major clean up. When I arrived home, FRED was sitting in a box in the pantry.

As I looked at FRED, I was transported back to Port Phillip Bay. Sitting in my Uncles tinny in rough weather, with my brother , waiting for my Dad and Uncle to return to the surface after gathering scallops on the sea bed. My Brother and I had raided the ration packs that my Uncle always had kept in the First Aid box and we busy demolishing the contents.

Of course we found FRED's cousin FRED inside the ration pack.

Unfortunately FRED has been misplaced. I was going to show him to my kids. Has anyone got a picture of their own FRED?

sooty_10
8th March 2015, 05:25 PM
Fred is still in service mate, every Aussie ration pack still contains one. It will be a sad day if they retire him.

I assume you know exactly who FRED is :) or more so what he stands for.

mudnut
8th March 2015, 05:28 PM
Fairly Ridiculous Eating Device. Do they still have the Peek Freans. Hard as rock as tasty as sand?

threedogs
8th March 2015, 05:28 PM
is Fred one of those flip over can openers ??

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-Australian-Army-Ration-Tin-Can-Opener-Fred-P38-Sas-Austcam-Hike-Fish-Dpdu-Camo-/131444262742?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1e9ab04756

P4trol
8th March 2015, 05:30 PM
Do you want a new one, or just a photo?

TPC
8th March 2015, 05:31 PM

mudnut
8th March 2015, 05:32 PM
Just a photo. Or maybe photos of FRED on holidays around Australia could be fun.

mudnut
8th March 2015, 05:34 PM
They're expensive FRED's TD. I am amazed FRED is still used. I see they have streamlined FRED too.

sooty_10
8th March 2015, 05:50 PM
Fairly Ridiculous Eating Device. Do they still have the Peek Freans. Hard as rock as tasty as sand?

Fairly ridiculous is a polite way of putting it ;)

If this is a peek frean then yes they are still around. I personally didn't mind them, a little chewy at times though, the muesli bars are like chewing cardboard though. Better off throwing the muesli bar away and sucking on the packaging.

I had a look in some of my army gear and couldn't find a Fred :(

mudnut
8th March 2015, 06:01 PM
FRED has a habit of appearing in unexpected places. The Peek Freans I remember were plain and rock hard. The cheese was dry as too.

growler2058
8th March 2015, 06:03 PM
Here ya go 5 for $11. Still pricey at that ;)

Edit: link http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-Australian-Army-Ration-Can-Tin-Opener-Fred-P-38-Sas-Special-ANZAC-SF-Multicam-/131446543485?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1e9ad3147d

mudnut
8th March 2015, 06:06 PM
I wonder when FRED was first used in service?

P4trol
8th March 2015, 07:50 PM
Well, on a ration pack of course!

Bigcol
8th March 2015, 07:58 PM
as an ARMY Brat growing up in Holdsworthy in the late 60's early 70's, we had bucket loads of FREDs
2 Adults & 4 kids.........used to live on those Bl00dy ration packs
5 man 1 day / 1 man 5 day
or the real up market 7 man 1 day / 1 man 7 day - they had a can of boiled peaches......

in those days, they also had smokes in them - for parents.........

back to FREDs - Frightfully Repulsive Eating Device..............
I still have a doz or so floating around, greatest thing for opening cans (once you work out how to use the sodding thing)

mudnut
8th March 2015, 08:33 PM
FRED is like that though. You can't get rid of him, but as soon as you have a use for him, he goes AWOL.

BigRAWesty
9th March 2015, 08:32 AM
I may have to grab a couple. What a handy little device.

threedogs
9th March 2015, 08:37 AM
never figured out how they worked , but now for camp
I make sure all tins have a pull ring on them

mudnut
9th March 2015, 10:29 AM
never figured out how they worked , but now for camp
I make sure all tins have a pull ring on them

And this will be the eventual demise of FRED. He will have to retire. There must have been literally tons of FRED made over the decades.

oncedisturbed
9th March 2015, 10:53 AM
Nooooooo!!!!! How can you lose FRED?? I have 1 permanently on my keyring and have a few left floating around, some date back to the 70's. Don't think it will be much longer before FRED is retired from the ADF, most meals are sachet based now in 24hr rat packs, not sure on the 10 man versions. Yanks love our FRED's as their P38's have no spoon but are readily available by most camping brands now but not as good as the issued versions. I remember the old man telling me of a Joint Ops exercise he did with the U.S years ago, he swapped 6 FRED's for a full U.S woodland cam set, webbing, boots and other general items. The U.S guys weren't fussed as all their gear used to be written off as soon as they leave the U.S. I know they're still put in civvy rat packs for cadets as they're aren't allowed to be issued ADF rat packs (not in WA anyway) due to allergen ingredients.

They're great to put in any EDC or survival kit

threedogs
9th March 2015, 11:01 AM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CRKT-EatN-tool-XL-BLACK-COATED-spork-can-opener-SURVIVAL-MULTI-TOOL-/261781498915?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3cf364ac23

no Fred But,,,,, check out how many this dude has, even a spoon on some
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-Australian-Army-Ration-Tin-Can-Opener-Fred-P38-Sas-Austcam-Hike-Fish-Dpdu-Camo-/131449828742?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item1e9b053586

Heres the USA version
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-2PK-P-38-P-51-MILITARY-CAN-OPENER-SURVIVAL-KIT-GEAR-KEYCHAIN-MIL-J-0837-/281603614371?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4190e226a3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_Ration_Eating_Device

heres the USA version from WW2 till present
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-38_can_opener

oncedisturbed
9th March 2015, 12:30 PM
The Ozzie fred's have the spoon on them. The US P38's don't and are the stubby one's. Looks like the seller does a lot of surplus gear.

Gecko17
9th March 2015, 01:08 PM
Wow Mudnut! I used to dream of the luxury of having a FRED in our ratpacks! For years, the NZ army only had those pathetic P-38's! Like most others, I have several at home. Bloody useful little things. Isn't it strange that I still occasionally miss ratpacks? The best ones were the ones we had in Singapore back in the 80's. The 1 man/7 day ones! Even had Wrigley's gum!

oncedisturbed
9th March 2015, 01:15 PM
Haha so did ours, PK and Juicy Fruit. Funny you say that but sometimes I miss them as well, moreso the new sachet ones with satay chook...nomnom

Gecko17
9th March 2015, 01:39 PM
The little blade on FRED was great at opening sachets!

mudnut
9th March 2015, 02:06 PM
I knew mentioning FRED would evoke some old memories.

dads tractor
10th March 2015, 12:00 AM
F'n really eating device ,hides in the tractor !

jack
10th March 2015, 10:09 AM
Just saw this, I'm sure I have a couple of FREDs from over 40 years ago stored away somewhere. Those ration packs were issued to cadets in the 1960's, I kept an unopened one for years.

mudnut
10th March 2015, 10:14 AM
How long did you let it ferment? And was it edible when you finally got around to eating it?

jack
10th March 2015, 10:25 AM
It was never really edible, I never opened it but from memory threw it out many years ago during a house move.

mudnut
10th March 2015, 10:33 AM
It was never really edible...

Ha ha! Your absolutely right there, mate.

Some good news. After a thorough search, I have found FRED's much younger cousin FRED, but he was only manufactured in 1991.

oncedisturbed
10th March 2015, 11:22 AM
I think dad still has his 1st FRED from Kapooka in the late 60's, earliest 1 of mine is around 1975

threedogs
10th March 2015, 11:25 AM
All the ones from the seller on Ebay are 2007, and from what he says when he goes to shows selling them the same has happened here.
I remember when I had one ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Must get one now for the tucker box or two or three

oncedisturbed
10th March 2015, 12:43 PM
Make sure it is an ex-ADF version, not a knock off like Coughlans etc as they're blunt and won't open anything after a couple of uses.

The 1 on my keys has been there roughly 10 years now and still opens cans like new :)

threedogs
10th March 2015, 12:46 PM
Make sure it is an ex-ADF version, not a knock off like Coughlans etc as they're blunt and won't open anything after a couple of uses.

The 1 on my keys has been there roughly 10 years now and still opens cans like new :)

Thanks for that now if I hadnt met you or MN or GKO I would not be
buying a few of these "FREDS" thankyou from the bottom of my heart lol.
If it had a date stamp would that mean its ADF issue plus the broard arrow ???

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-X-Australian-Army-Can-openers-FREE-GIFT-Hiking-Camping-Fishing-Hunting-FRED-/151614602142?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item234cef3b9e

oncedisturbed
10th March 2015, 01:10 PM
Anything with the "broad arrow" stamp is ADF issue and with FRED's, they are almost always that oily bronze colour although I have seen a couple of steel ones in the past, they werent very common though.

I have to raid mine and dad's old metal footlockers (x6) to see what else we have stored away due to collecting bits and bobs from both our time in the ADF.

threedogs
10th March 2015, 01:20 PM
that oily bronze look is called blue zinc coated but basically its gold zinc
now I have to find an early example eh

mudnut
10th March 2015, 02:08 PM
My newer FRED is stamped with 7330-66-010-0931 followed by FC inside a Hexagon then 1991 and has an arrow stamped near the hole.

That should be enough info to confirm whether it is ADF. I have now put FRED on my keyring.

mudnut
10th March 2015, 04:14 PM
So now the hunt is on for the oldest FRED we can find ...

threedogs
13th March 2015, 11:23 AM
Just brought 5 from Ben in Qld
spreading the love

mudnut
13th March 2015, 04:15 PM
I've had no luck as yet. Dad hasn't got a FRED, and My Uncle is touring in NZ.

threedogs
13th March 2015, 04:18 PM
cant wait to try one , hope they are what all the hype is about,
but anything has to be better than opening a can with a bowie knife or similar

P4trol
13th March 2015, 10:21 PM
And that's what the hype is about. You can open the can with minimal danger compared to a Bowie knife, then eat the contents. Who cares about bragging rights for the Bowie knife stunt when your starving? Bonus, you don't stab yourself.

mudnut
13th March 2015, 10:38 PM
Two words that usually don't go together; Hype and FRED.

Gecko17
14th March 2015, 08:35 AM
I have to check my bag, when I get home, but I am pretty sure I still have a couple from 1985.

SonOf
14th March 2015, 09:15 AM
Seeing this has sent me on a quest to find my FRED, been years since I have seen him. He cam from a day pack I swear was left over from Vietnam. Man I luved the pork & gravy dehides, not to mention the mix stews we would cook up between us but the eggs in a tin I can do without ever seeing or eating that again.

Had FRED for 20 years but seeing I have not been camping for way too long I do not know where he resides so off to find him hopefully.

mudnut
14th March 2015, 10:29 AM
Wow. In 1985, I was a 2nd year apprentice.

Gecko17
14th March 2015, 12:24 PM
Wow. In 1985, I was a 2nd year apprentice.

1985, I was in the NZ army and living in Singapore! Had just turned 18 and was the 3rd youngest out of 508 soldiers living in camp!

mudnut
14th March 2015, 01:03 PM
What was the army doing in Singapore?

threedogs
14th March 2015, 01:09 PM

Need to know, wink wink nod nod say no more.
1985 gee I'd been married 2 years, and had a good back

Bigcol
14th March 2015, 01:37 PM
1985 I did get married............... and still am to the same woman I married - in more ways than one, she never changed into the demented sour crabby one that alot of them turn into...........

Bigcol
14th March 2015, 01:38 PM
AND

on top of that, I can only find 1 FRED - and he is a 1989 vintage

have to keep looking I think
or go to my Fathers place........

Gecko17
15th March 2015, 02:15 PM

Ever since the Malayan conflict, the NZ army has been stationed in either Malaysia or (and not sure of when they moved) Singapore. It is the Infantry training area and grunts did a 2 years TOD there.... awesome place for an impressionable 18yo....

threedogs
15th March 2015, 04:02 PM
Ever since the Malayan conflict, the NZ army has been stationed in either Malaysia or (and not sure of when they moved) Singapore. It is the Infantry training area and grunts did a 2 years TOD there.... awesome place for an impressionable 18yo....

Itchy eye and bogey boys whats not to like lol

threedogs
20th March 2015, 02:13 PM
5 X FREDS arrived today plus another style which I believe to be the Yankee version.
these will be dispersed around my gear with some permanently in the Patrol. will open a can later
for a test run lol very happy I have a fred now,they have broad arrow and 2007 stamped on them

I take it to operate you open it and rest on top of can then pierce the top and open with a to fro action

oncedisturbed
20th March 2015, 03:00 PM
That is correct :)
Was the other one a stubby one? Sounds like the P38 US version

threedogs
20th March 2015, 03:27 PM
yeah I cant do pics ATM but a very short unit very easy to lose imo.

growler2058
20th March 2015, 03:45 PM
Look what I got today I haven't had a Fred for over 25 years ;)

mudnut
20th March 2015, 03:48 PM
I shoulda been a FRED salesman...

TroutNut
20th March 2015, 04:17 PM
Whenever I suck on Fred, he gives me that funny metallic feeling, like a fork touching my tooth filling.

threedogs
20th March 2015, 04:18 PM
Look what I got today I haven't had a Fred for over 25 years ;)

Yeah thats the same as my order 5 x FREDS and a gift for $15 from Ben up QLD way

TroutNut
20th March 2015, 04:21 PM
And sometimes my whole lunch was covered in black, sticky, sweet (sounds dirty doesn't it) coffee. I sometimes wondered if Fred dunnit.