View Full Version : GU Scrub bars

Chad
8th March 2015, 01:45 AM
I have a GU with the standard side steps, can I have scrub bars fitted or made up without having to install rock sliders.

Has anyone had this done? Pics?

Bigcol
8th March 2015, 02:19 AM
ARB does some scrub bars.......... not sure of the price

I think TJM do them as well........

MudRunnerTD
8th March 2015, 05:17 AM
I don't think so mate. I think they all incorporate side steps too. You might get some made. Go the side steps too though I say.

Bigcol
8th March 2015, 09:39 AM
well, going by the ARB Cat - it does say they do them individually - what would I know

Side Rails

To provide protection for front quarter panels, ARB side rails are available individually and have been specifically designed to work in conjunction with ARB deluxe bull bars and the vehicle’s original equipment side steps.
- See more at: http://www.arb.com.au/products/protection-equipment/side-rails-side-protection/#sthash.KBTR5o3V.dpuf

Ben-e-boy
8th March 2015, 10:07 AM
well, going by the ARB Cat - it does say they do them individually - what would I know

Side Rails

To provide protection for front quarter panels, ARB side rails are available individually and have been specifically designed to work in conjunction with ARB deluxe bull bars and the vehicle’s original equipment side steps.
- See more at: http://www.arb.com.au/products/protection-equipment/side-rails-side-protection/#sthash.KBTR5o3V.dpuf

Probably not the best idea to have them somehow fixed to the factory side steps, they will give way if you lean on it. Depending how far they bend you could cause more damage.

Ideally you want incorpoated steps.

Bigcol
8th March 2015, 10:26 AM
yeppers, I know that - although Chad was wanting to go the cheap way, and still use his original steps - thats why I said ARB......

I know they are crap
I know they will look like crap
I know they will not be as strong

I have XLR8 Steps & Scrub bars on mine...................

Chad
8th March 2015, 01:04 PM
Thanks guys,

Not so much the cheap way but that is a benefit, my factory bars have done great already, survived sliding on rocks which destroyed Prado and Hilux steps so I thought why bother replacing them.

I was also thinking of making up my own as the double scrub bars look nice. Just thinking about welding directly to chassis or making something a little less permanent?

Chad
8th March 2015, 01:09 PM
Unfortunately when I nominate my vehicle as a GU it only has the side rails and steps as a package, where you can only select the steps by themselves.

The rails by themselves is for landcruiser

Hodge
8th March 2015, 01:13 PM
For what it's worth. I have seen ARB bars fitted without ARB side steps. Factory side steps were still fitted.
The bottom section of the scrub bars, sort of bends underneath and bolts onto the chassis, NOT to the factory side steps.
I don't know whether this was a proper fitted job, or a custom job. But it was bolted to the chassis 100%.

threedogs
8th March 2015, 03:28 PM
Not a big fan of the scrub bars, reason being if you get a decent knock youre stuffed most times as its jammed against the wheel.
Not sure how you would go un bolting them to at least get yourself moving again, plus its more weight to lug around. just a thought

Handy to tie the swag too I suppose lol

Clunk
8th March 2015, 04:06 PM
my old scrub bars have saved my front wings on many occasions on the old clunker, they were only ally but held up well.

and yes I've also seen the ARB scrub bars that bold directly onto the chassis.

and welding anything onto the chassis is not quite legal, so would advise against it

Stropp
8th March 2015, 10:36 PM
I have a GU with the standard side steps, can I have scrub bars fitted or made up without having to install rock sliders. Has anyone had this done? Pics? I had mike at XLR8 fabrication make mine , I'm sure you could get them to attach without sliders.55966

Chad
8th March 2015, 11:56 PM
Not a big fan of the scrub bars, reason being if you get a decent knock youre stuffed most times as its jammed against the wheel.
Not sure how you would go un bolting them to at least get yourself moving again, plus its more weight to lug around. just a thought

Handy to tie the swag too I suppose lol

Yeah I'm pretty sure they are supposed to be fitted well clear of the front wheels, they are to protect the panels and hopefully snap any branches before they draw some new pinstripes further down.

Chad
8th March 2015, 11:59 PM

These are the type of pinstripes I want to avoid

Clunk
9th March 2015, 12:08 AM
scrub bars aren't going to stop those from happening mate

megatexture
9th March 2015, 07:12 AM
I love my scrub bars as they have saved my paintwork many times from trees/ mud banks etc and I would even love some over the rear arches.

But those pinstripes in your pic are just dust/leaves pinstripes 92% of them wash off and the rest polish out, but I agree with clunk scrubs won't prevent that.

Patrol'n
28th March 2015, 11:46 PM
Pinstripes just prove your truck is used off road, unlike the urban assault vehicles running around the suburbs!

Mine has heaps of them, I don't even bother polishing them out, I'll just end up with more...

Wouldn't mind a set of scrub bars though, would have stopped me cracking my wheel arch flare last weekend, and there's a vid on YouTube where the all four adventure blokes roll their truck on its side during a snatch recovery that goes wrong. The scrub bars appear to save the side from damage.