PDA

View Full Version : Towing.

krbrooking
4th March 2015, 02:59 PM
Saw a Volkswagen Touareg this morn in peak traffic heading into the city on the tulla. Towing a duel axle caravan that would have been around the 20foot mark (pretty big). Now everything was normal, besides the fact that I was sitting on just over 100km/hr (102) and he passing me pretty convincingly prob around the 110 mark. Now I have always believed that most things towed are limited to around 90 especially something that big. Am I wrong in assuming this?????

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Bob
4th March 2015, 03:09 PM
You are allowed to tow a Caravan up to the Speed Limit however the Police can still book you if they consider it is dangerous.
I tow my 14Ft Jayco Pop Top with the GU and mostly sit on 100kph on the Highway and less in Heavy traffic

threedogs
4th March 2015, 03:11 PM
If I owned a twin turbo V10 I'd be doing 110 as well

EDIT Sorry BI-TURBO

Winnie
4th March 2015, 04:01 PM
Saw a Volkswagen Touareg this morn in peak traffic heading into the city on the tulla. Towing a duel axle caravan that would have been around the 20foot mark (pretty big). Now everything was normal, besides the fact that I was sitting on just over 100km/hr (102) and he passing me pretty convincingly prob around the 110 mark. Now I have always believed that most things towed are limited to around 90 especially something that big. Am I wrong in assuming this?????

Yeah towing does no change the speed you are allowed to drive.

the evil twin
4th March 2015, 05:03 PM
Tow anything in WA and you are limited to max 100 KPH even tho the state wide open limit is 110 KPH.

Cuppa
4th March 2015, 05:59 PM
Regardless of legalities, towing a caravan which is as heavy, or heavier than it’s tow vehicle at 110kph is an accident waiting to happen IMO. It may never happen, but statistically I’m sure it is FAR more likely than the same vehicle solo.

krbrooking
4th March 2015, 07:38 PM
Tow anything in WA and you are limited to max 100 KPH even tho the state wide open limit is 110 KPH.

This must be what I was thinking of, being from wa and all. I suppose regardless of the legalities I would not be towing a caravan that big at those speeds in traffic, maybe on the open roads yes. I also suppose it comes down to the cars towing capabilities as well. Like in Bobs case I think his PPP top may be more suited to those speeds. But anyone that has towed big/heavy loads would know how easy they can get speed wobbles

megatexture
4th March 2015, 08:33 PM
all it takes is a wind gust and its all over.

before I smartened up and bought a patrol I had a v6 Hilux and got that up to 165kph towing our camper with a headwind and It was surprisingly stable but that's a bit different to a huge caravan.
I wouldn't recommend doing it either but young and dumb and invincible.. lol

krbrooking
4th March 2015, 09:09 PM
That's what I mean at those speeds with such a load in traffic if he was to get the speed wobbles he would be needing more than one lane quick smart. He seemed a bit of a cowboy as he wasn't too careful about changing lanes either and didn't have towing mirrors either. ( not that they are compulsory).