PDA

View Full Version : tb42 turbo and tuning

Porkeh
2nd March 2015, 10:35 PM
hey guys, im not completely sure if this is in the right section or not, if not could a mod please move it. back to the question, ive tried searching myself but havent had anyluck does anyone know where i could get a turbo kit for a tb42 and get it tuned, ive tried a couple of places already but they only do diesels. im located in the northern suburbs of melbourne, any help appreciated
cheers alex

threedogs
3rd March 2015, 08:53 AM
Go see Andrew at On Track in Kealba, or Brett at 4x4 Obsession in Melton
Both very very good with Patrols
JPC do a dyno service , they are in Thomastown

Bloodyaussie
3rd March 2015, 09:04 AM
JPC in Thomastown would do tuning for them....

billyj
3rd March 2015, 02:06 PM
speak to joel at 4bfab in carrum downs, hes built or tuned alot of tb42 turbos(including mine) and was about the only person i could find that could give straight answers.

is it a carby tb42 or the tb42e efi engine? if its efi, you can expect to need a bigger fuel pump and bigger injectors(stockers cant even support 4psi) also get a 3" dump and exhaust( best thing i did boosts about 4-500rpm eariler). what sort of boost level/power level were you chasing?

also id avoid the axt kit, the turbo is too small and has an even smaller interrnal wastegate. this leads to some pretty nasty over boosting, with a so called 4psi actuator my boost just keeps climbing once i pass about 2700 rpm. can easily punch it well past 12 pound if not watching the boost gauge.

all that said the tb42 responds well to boost, mine made 100rw/kw(stockers only make about 75-80 max) on 4psi with a massively restricted 2.5" exhaust but goes heaps better now with the 3". and the biggest thing is the power/torque is so much broarder and more useable

jff45
3rd March 2015, 02:30 PM
Did you get it retuned after you changed the exhaust?

billyj
3rd March 2015, 02:53 PM
not yet. was planning on fitting a cooler and upping the boost about now but my daily ute has blown an engine so im building a 355 stroker for it, the patrol will have to wait for the time being

Porkeh
3rd March 2015, 05:16 PM
thanks for the quick replies guys! my tb42 is a carby setup on dual fuel, im honestly not sure what i want yet, i need to get my head around all of it first then i can work out what i want/what i will have to save up for haha. once i understand it all a bit better i will go and have a chat to the guys at 4bfab since its close to work or 4x4 obsession on a saturday morning. i currently have extractors on my tb not sure of the size though, you reckon i would have to do away with those?
but thanks again for the replies :smiley_thumbs_up:

billyj
3rd March 2015, 06:06 PM
to fit a turbo you remove the extractors and put on a cast iron turbo manifold. if your currently dual fuel your 2 realistic options are either go efi and straight petrol or go straight gas. setting up a turbo for dual fuel would be difficult as gas and petrol have slightly different ignition timing requirements and while you can run a happy medium setting while naturally aspirated you cant really with a turbo everything needs to be spot on, as fro budget ive spent about 6k so far( about another 2k to go to get it exactly where im aiming at). whatever you think your budget will be double it