PDA

View Full Version : What is this??

Parksy
2nd March 2015, 09:13 PM
Hi all

What is the item circled red for? I know it's some sort of air valve/regulator of some sort, but what purpose does it serve? Reason I ask is because there is an annoying clicking sound at idle and I believe it may be this item.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Pakas/18B93D62-0B27-4020-B9A1-948E6B11BF95.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Pakas/media/18B93D62-0B27-4020-B9A1-948E6B11BF95.jpg.html)

Edit, this is the intake off a tb42e.
Thanks for looking

Andy

Parksy
7th March 2015, 08:07 PM
Bloody crickets are noisy around here these days.

the evil twin
7th March 2015, 10:35 PM
Bloody crickets are noisy around here these days.

Nah, don't think so... I don't know what it is, but I'm positive it isn't a Cricket...

Parksy
7th March 2015, 11:40 PM
It was my lame attempt at a bump.

the evil twin
7th March 2015, 11:53 PM
It was my lame attempt at a bump.

Not lame at all... it worked... you got a reply.

If we keep it up you may even get a useful reply.
Either that or Clunk will spot the thread and that will be the end of that

Clunk
8th March 2015, 12:05 AM
I'm very respectful of Parksy's threads thanks ET........

I've got no idea what it is/does either. But if you have Nissan Fast, or if not, download it. Tap in your Vin number and you should be able o find out what it is from diagrams.

Either that, or pm me your Vin and I'll see if I can find out for you.

Arfa Brayne
17th August 2016, 12:47 AM
Hi all

What is the item circled red for? I know it's some sort of air valve/regulator of some sort, but what purpose does it serve? Reason I ask is because there is an annoying clicking sound at idle and I believe it may be this item.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v92/Pakas/18B93D62-0B27-4020-B9A1-948E6B11BF95.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Pakas/media/18B93D62-0B27-4020-B9A1-948E6B11BF95.jpg.html)

Edit, this is the intake off a tb42e.
Thanks for looking

Andy

Chasing the same answer to the same question - what is this valve for. Is it a "deceleration control valve"? - trying to rid as much clutter from around the engine as possible, plus I'd like better engine braking.

threedogs
17th August 2016, 03:23 PM
If it has coolant running through it it may be something to do with the EGR

Parksy
17th August 2016, 06:39 PM
No coolant at all and no EGR what so ever on a TB42E.

mudski
17th August 2016, 07:50 PM
No coolant at all and no EGR what so ever on a TB42E.
Soooooo. What is it?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Parksy
17th August 2016, 08:56 PM
if I knew I never would have asked the question. I still don't actually know.

taslucas
17th August 2016, 09:11 PM
Can you get any clues from tracing the pipes or wiring? Does it open into the intake manifold?

>>>tappin from tassie

mudski
17th August 2016, 09:13 PM
if I knew I never would have asked the question. I still don't actually know.
Ah i figured you might have found out since the thread was old.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Evo
17th August 2016, 11:40 PM
Looks like manifold vacuum tee.

mudski
18th August 2016, 09:12 AM
Just looked it up, as it was doing my head in. Looks to be an air regulator for the vacuum system. According to Nissanfast. I saw the hoses running to it in the pic and if its not water it can only be for vacuum, as the intake manifold is where the petty's get their vacuum for the brakes from.

dom14
18th August 2016, 12:25 PM
Just looked it up, as it was doing my head in. Looks to be an air regulator for the vacuum system. According to Nissanfast. I saw the hoses running to it in the pic and if its not water it can only be for vacuum, as the intake manifold is where the petty's get their vacuum for the brakes from.

Wow! It's taken a year and a half to get a satisfactory answer. :)
Doesn't the factory manual help with identifying the item??!!!

Parksy
18th August 2016, 12:49 PM
Thanks mudski! Much appreciated. No the manual was pretty useless.

Arfa Brayne
18th August 2016, 10:56 PM
Must be a top secret ASIO valve - finally found the answer at 2am in the morning after a night of searching.
Honestly.... what's the deal with the TB42e ?? There's less secrecy about the plans for Russian nuclear missiles !

It's called an "Air Control Valve" - duh !... but what does it DO ?

It is ................................ wait for it ..........................

The equivalent of a cold start, fast idle cam on a carby.
yeah ......... anticlimax or what ?

When you first start your ASIO tb42e secret weapon Patrol in Canberra or the snow, a thermo spring opens a port in the valve to allow extra air to bypass the throttle butterfly and make the engine idle faster again than the normal (top of the manifold near the firewall) idle control valve will allow it.
Power supply from the fuel pump also feeds the thermo spring in this gizmo to heat it up and as a result, close the extra air port within about 3 minutes of starting the engine.
If your ambient air temperature is above 12 deg C the "Air Control Valve" just sits under the inlet manifold doing nothing but barking your knuckles and getting in the way of other work.

I've just been cleaning up the unnescessary pipes, brackets and clutter around the engine bay. Simple = better.
Will put up some photos in a new thread with a more descriptive title when I'm done.

dom14
19th August 2016, 04:41 PM
Must be a top secret ASIO valve - finally found the answer at 2am in the morning after a night of searching.
Honestly.... what's the deal with the TB42e ?? There's less secrecy about the plans for Russian nuclear missiles !

It's called an "Air Control Valve" - duh !... but what does it DO ?

It is ................................ wait for it ..........................

The equivalent of a cold start, fast idle cam on a carby.
yeah ......... anticlimax or what ?

When you first start your ASIO tb42e secret weapon Patrol in Canberra or the snow, a thermo spring opens a port in the valve to allow extra air to bypass the throttle butterfly and make the engine idle faster again than the normal (top of the manifold near the firewall) idle control valve will allow it.
Power supply from the fuel pump also feeds the thermo spring in this gizmo to heat it up and as a result, close the extra air port within about 3 minutes of starting the engine.
If your ambient air temperature is above 12 deg C the "Air Control Valve" just sits under the inlet manifold doing nothing but barking your knuckles and getting in the way of other work.

I've just been cleaning up the unnescessary pipes, brackets and clutter around the engine bay. Simple = better.
Will put up some photos in a new thread with a more descriptive title when I'm done.

Sounds great mate. Can't wait to see that thread and pictures.