PDA

View Full Version : Spotlights are not working - assistance with troubleshooting please

rabbster
1st March 2015, 07:50 PM
Hi All

My spotlights have stopped working. I have checked the globes and they are ok.

They are wired so they come on with the high beam on my car. There is no switch where I can manually turn them on or off. The headlights on the car are working fine. What can I look for to diagnose why they are not working?

The car is a GU2 2002 ST Wagon and they are IPF900 spots.

cheers

BigRAWesty
1st March 2015, 07:56 PM
High mate. They should have a fuse in the line. Hopefully close to the battery.
I'd check that first.

the evil twin
1st March 2015, 08:00 PM
If the fuse is OK check the relay itself, the trigger from the high beam and the earth if they have a common earthing point.

(Unswitched spotties are illegal by the way... as well as being a PIA for oncoming drivers)

MEGOMONSTER
1st March 2015, 08:04 PM
If the fuse is OK check the relay itself, the trigger from the high beam and the earth if they have a common earthing point.

(Unswitched spotties are illegal by the way)

I think he meant he hasn't a switch to turn them on without using high beam.

check all connection again, you just never know.

the evil twin
1st March 2015, 08:10 PM
I think he meant he hasn't a switch to turn them on without using high beam.

check all connection again, you just never know.

Hiya Mego,

Fair enough, didn't read that way to me at first I must admit.

If that is the case then it could be the switch as well but as you mentioned first and most logical thing to check is the fuse

rabbster
2nd March 2015, 12:33 AM
Thanks all. This gives me a bit to work with. The fuse is ok so I am guessing it is the relay which I think I know which one it is.

threedogs
2nd March 2015, 11:37 AM
if they are wired to come on with the high beam are the head lights working on high beam.
What type of driving lights are they Halogen or HID ???

rabbster
2nd March 2015, 10:48 PM
They are just halogen

happygu
2nd March 2015, 11:40 PM
Are the high beams still working OK?

If they are, I would be looking for an extra relay under the bonnet somewhere .... trace the wires from the spotlights back to the relay, and test to see if there is incoming power to the relay, and the switched wire to control the relay will most likely come from the back of one of the headlights, or the wiring from the steering column switch.

If they arent, it would seem to be incorrectly wired and will have overloaded the wiring or fuse from the high beam circuit fuse

threedogs
3rd March 2015, 07:51 AM
check all the connections near the pos on both batteries the wire may have broken there ??

shags1975
26th September 2018, 04:50 PM
I have the same problem except i have 3 spotlights 1 led and 2 ipf spotlights the led's working fine the 2 ipf are not and and all are good the wires to the relay are also working i have checked the fuses and are all good.

Any ideas on whats going on would be appreciated.

the evil twin
26th September 2018, 07:32 PM
How have you earthed the IPF's?
Do you have 12 Volts at the IPF's them selves?
Are all 3 off the one relay?

shags1975
26th September 2018, 09:17 PM
They are all off the 1 relay,they worked fine until the bull bar was replaced due to an accident. ( they were on the patrol when i bought)

the evil twin
27th September 2018, 12:47 AM
They are all off the 1 relay,they worked fine until the bull bar was replaced due to an accident. ( they were on the patrol when i bought)

Fair enuf... assuming the IPF's survived the accident then I would suggest the IPF's aren't earthed.
Do you have a test light or Multimeter?
Unplug an IPF and see what you get between power and earth... or...
Unplug an IPF and run a jumper from the LED or any known 12volt to an IPF and another jumper to earth

Fireblade
27th September 2018, 08:41 AM
in the past ive seen corrosion on the back of the spot lamp globe. usually after a lot of water crossings.