PDA

View Full Version : Which Aussie-made battery would you recommend?

mudnut
25th February 2015, 05:29 PM
G'day all. Well, the Old Trol's battery blew a cell. It only had a lead-acid 600CCA N70ZZ. I wish to buy an Aussie-made battery and have got some prices from local suppliers. All of the batteries listed are Maintenance Free.

Repco Century 12 month warranty 760 CCA $215. Aus made.
Century 24 month warranty 760 CCA $230. Aus made.

Autopro Delco 12 month warranty 720 CCA $175 Import.

TyrePower ------ 12 month warranty 720 CCA $165 Import. Delivered.

RACV ------- 12 month warranty $182 USA. Fitted

24 month warranty $205 USA. Fitted

I am really disappointed with RACV only offering imports as they are a huge supplier of batteries. I really do like to support Aussie made, but the price difference is quite big, but is the quality of the Century batteries above and beyond the imports. I have also been told that some others are imported then filled here. So if any one has suggestions or recommendations, go for it.

the evil twin
25th February 2015, 06:55 PM
AFAIK if you want Aussie then it is Century, Exide or Marshall (which are made by Exide).

There is a rider here tho.
Century and Marshall also have joint arrangements with overseas companies, Century Yuasa for example.
I believe the more common automotive batteries are made here tho.

Best value for money of the overseas stuff is Caterpillar (again IMHO) and AC Delco

taslucas
25th February 2015, 06:56 PM
I have a century. I'm not sure what it's called, it was a 4wd extreme duty for between 250 and 300 bucks, I think it's a 760cca. It had been in the patrol for about a year then the patrol sat unused for six months through a tassie winter and next time I tried to start, it wound over flat out for all up a couple of minutes before the old carb got cranking. Great battery.

But this thread also makes me think we should make an "all aussie made" thread where we can recommend aussie products

Bob
25th February 2015, 06:59 PM
Try Bond Batteries

http://bondbatteries.com.au/index.php/battery-range

doka404
25th February 2015, 07:04 PM
that ac-delco price is a bit high..think i paid around 130 each when i bought mine probably 6 months ago..thats with a 36 month warrant from memory

Rossco
25th February 2015, 07:56 PM
X2 on bond. Last battery was bond and bloody awesome highly recommend. Have a yasa now and doesn't compare, it's already on the way out.

Winnie
25th February 2015, 08:44 PM
I have a century. I'm not sure what it's called, it was a 4wd extreme duty for between 250 and 300 bucks, I think it's a 760cca. It had been in the patrol for about a year then the patrol sat unused for six months through a tassie winter and next time I tried to start, it wound over flat out for all up a couple of minutes before the old carb got cranking. Great battery.

But this thread also makes me think we should make an "all aussie made" thread where we can recommend aussie products

Yep I've got the same century as a starter battery and it has been abused, drained flat and recharged a few times. Still goes strong

Rock Trol
25th February 2015, 08:50 PM
Go the Exide or Century if you want locally produced. I don't think the price difference between imports and made in Aus is that high considering our wages are higher here.

mudnut
26th February 2015, 12:46 AM
When she got home from work, Mrs mudsane said we always do try to buy Aus grown food stuff so I should put my money where my mouth is and do the same for the battery. I will also check out the Bond batteries and make a decision.

Great idea about the Aussie made thread too, Lucas.

Bob
26th February 2015, 06:51 AM
I have two Bond Batteries in the Van Deep Cycle Calcium. Great Batteries Locally made in Bendigo. Agents in Ballarat & Bayswater.
Would recommend

mudnut
26th February 2015, 09:45 AM
I drove Mrs mudsane to work and dropped into Tyrepower. I got to speak with the manager today, so I picked up a Century N70ZZ 720CCA RC160 for $160 dollars. Australian made and local, so I gotta be happy with that. I know you might be able to get cheaper, but I would have to pay freight and if it stuffed up under warranty, I couldn't get a replacement.

I couldn't find a Bonds outlet around here either, Bob, but thanks for the recommendation.

mudnut
27th February 2015, 02:04 PM
I have found the reason that the battery died: The regulator in the alternator is drawing 2.41 amps.

I pulled all of the fuses, which took out .12 amps (Clock, stereo and leakage).

When I pulled the Black fusible link, which goes to the large white wire that supplies the L and S terminals, the current disappeared.

I got onto Patrolapart, typed in my Old Trol's details and the alternator they have is different, but it states that it will suit an RB30. The battery terminal is in the wrong place. So is the regulator socket, which is also the wrong shape.

mudnut
27th February 2015, 06:35 PM
I have stripped the alternator and unsolderered the diode plates. I have tested everything and all is good except the regulator has an internal fault and one of the sub diodes has a slightly lower reverse resistance than the other two. (I am surprised by the minimal amount of wear on the slip rings and brushes so it must be a replacement alternator).

Repco has given me a price of $280.

A local auto elec quoted $400 to $500

The local wrecker and Autopro haven't got back to me yet.

mudnut
28th February 2015, 11:58 AM
I have ordered an alternator from Autopro as the one from Repco was only a reco.

I can also get a regulator complete with brushes and Diode plates for $140 from another auto elec, which I might get in the future to have a spare alternator.