PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust and IC Combos !!

Beni C
25th February 2015, 02:01 PM
There are so many options out there I am keen to hear what combos people went with and wether you went DIY with the install or had it put in, how happy you are with it etc.

Mobs I have looked at include

Exhaust:
Berkley 3"
Beaudesert 2.75"
King Brown (Pacemaker) 3"
Taipan 3"

IC's
Taipan
HPD
Cross Country
ARE Cooling

For DIY I am looking at the Berkley 3" (currently $700 from 4WD Supa Centre) and ARE ($1786 for IC and agressive scoop) combo, the exhuast is aluminised mild steel, not to fussed with stainless as its bound to suffer some damage!

As for installed I have hit up UFI in Perth for a price on the complete Taipan system, will post what they come back with.

Cheers

threedogs
25th February 2015, 02:19 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PRO-Intercooler-COOLER-FOR-GU-Patrol-Common-Rail-3-0-turbo-diesel-2007-2012-ZD30-/231411893100?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35e139436c

Maybe this tigged IC and a big Scoop from A.R.E might save you a few bucks.
As for exhaust make sure you get a EGT bung welded in it.
Scotts Rod also do a great exhaust

Beni C
25th February 2015, 05:40 PM
Thanks TD, how good do you think those IC's are though?

markstevo
18th March 2015, 05:22 PM
I had the 3 inch berkley stainless exhaust from supercenter installed never had any problem with car as soon as installed I now have limp mode all the time and have to fit all NADS moderfications to try and rectify problem and hopefully that works.

Covo71
18th March 2015, 06:42 PM
I put in a Genie 3" exhaust with no dramas. I could put it into limp mode if I wasn't thinking about what I was doing. I just put in a Diesel Smart intercooler and I can't get it to go into limp mode no matter how hard I push it. Very happy now.

MEGOMONSTER
18th March 2015, 06:45 PM
I went with the Taipan 3" exhaust, DPChip, and ARE intercooler and scoop

boots
18th March 2015, 07:31 PM
Beaudesert 2 & 3/4 '' exhaust and pwr performance IC . fitted both myself and super happy with both . both terrific to deal with also.

Rock Trol
18th March 2015, 07:41 PM
Cross Country intercooler and Pacemaker King Brown 3 inch exhaust. Needed Dawes valve when the exhaust went on as it was over boosting.
Now car runs better than it ever has. Seems to cool down quicker that before the exhaust (water temp on scangauge).

mudski
18th March 2015, 07:42 PM
Don't waste your hard earned on a Cross Country cooler of even a HPD cooler. They are so over priced its almost criminal. Plus the gains you may achieve from a gold plated IC seems too glorified to me. Although I am more than happy to be proven wrong. The ARE scoops are good, bloody expensive though. I have one though. There is another mob around doing scoops for much less than an ARE scoop now. Get a pipe over a chip, if you have to decided too.
As for my ol'snotter.
3inch Redback straight through with a Hi flow metallic filled cat and no muffler, DP Chip, some ching chong intercooler, HPD maf housing and air box lid, and the ARE scoop.

Rock Trol
18th March 2015, 07:55 PM
I went with cross country as they are local (they fitted it for me) so if any problems I could drive by and get them to look at it. I did notice gains down low when I got it but the stock I/C was leaking. After it went on I could hold 5th gear going up moderate hills where as previously the Patrol only had to see a slight gradient and demand 4th gear.
It is a lot bigger than the standard unit and since I had the ECU remap along with the exhaust the car has turned into a beast between 2-3000rpm.

There are probably more cost effective options out there especially if planning to keep the car standard but I decided to go for a big upgrade. I did not realise at the time that HPD are in Adelaide and also do a larger intercooler.

mudski
18th March 2015, 07:57 PM
An ECU remap seems to be the go for the CRD's now. What did that throw you back? If you don't mind telling....

Rock Trol
18th March 2015, 08:01 PM
I was quoted about $1700 but along with the exhaust it cost $3000. There is a bit of labour involved as the ECU has to be taken out, opened and then flashed. Cannot change Nissans fuel maps via the OBD2 port.
Good thing about that is that no one is going to over write it. Its expensive but so are the good chips like Steinbauer ($1700) or Unichip ($2100).

mudski
19th March 2015, 07:45 AM
I was quoted about $1700 but along with the exhaust it cost $3000. There is a bit of labour involved as the ECU has to be taken out, opened and then flashed. Cannot change Nissans fuel maps via the OBD2 port.
Good thing about that is that no one is going to over write it. Its expensive but so are the good chips like Steinbauer ($1700) or Unichip ($2100).
Holy moses! I hope it was worth it.

SG1
19th March 2015, 08:59 AM
Good price but also by the sounds of it, some good products and most importantly as long as your happy with the results, I also would of loved a C/C intercooler and think there is some benefits in it along with some of the better priced brands, probably more to do with slow 4wdriving or slow towing ect under load when not much air is being pushed into the scoop and the fan can come on and help cool the intercooler and air, heat soak. I have a cheaper I/C welded and while it does the job I have also wondered what more benefits would be had with a C/C or HPD intercoolers and if the gains versus the outlay would be worth it, probably not for me atm as the one we have is working and not leaking but if I was to do it again I would really consider putting a a lot more thought and possibly $'s into it.

kevin07
19th March 2015, 10:10 AM
well I wouldn't go past a beudesert ex as for any 3" pipe your asking for headaches any tigged I/c will suffice and steinbauer fitted $1400 and the scoop 1 on ebay for $140 does the job dropped my egts

Beni C
19th March 2015, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the input guys, whats this cheaper scoop? Can someone post a link please?

threedogs
19th March 2015, 12:54 PM
your temps has a lot to do with where your ET bung is.
IMO I think a CC is way over priced for the CRD and the Di, Fan jury is still out, n/r
everyone keeps forgetting its only a 3ltr yes you can make it more efficient
but to turn it into a rocket,, tell them they're dreaming, be happy that you can blow away
Prados and LUXs, Mudski and a few others have gone about as far as they can.
You should be looking for torque IMO not HP or buy a TD4.2 lol

2TROLLFAM just got flashed and is very impressed lol.
its been a while so now would be a great time for undate on results

Rock Trol
19th March 2015, 04:39 PM
Is the remap worth it? Same could be asked about a chip. I think people feel they are getting something when they receive hardware but cant see the value in software. I work in IT so see this all the time. The remap alters timing (start & end) and alters torque limiters so should work better than chip and safer. I have not tried chip so cant personally compare.

The real question is should the 3.0 litre be chipped / remapped or left standard as 3D suggests. Mine has a lot more power between 2-3000rpm but I am also cautious in using it. Egt seems same as other peoples crd motors. When towing it will go up hills in 4th whereas I needed 3rd before remap. Should I be driving like this or in a more conservative fashion. If I don't use the power then it is not worth it. If I use the power then it is worth it. I am still experimenting and learning how the car drives now so I can safely get the most from it.

mudski
19th March 2015, 06:39 PM
Is the remap worth it? Same could be asked about a chip. I think people feel they are getting something when they receive hardware but cant see the value in software. I work in IT so see this all the time. The remap alters timing (start & end) and alters torque limiters so should work better than chip and safer. I have not tried chip so cant personally compare.

The real question is should the 3.0 litre be chipped / remapped or left standard as 3D suggests. Mine has a lot more power between 2-3000rpm but I am also cautious in using it. Egt seems same as other peoples crd motors. When towing it will go up hills in 4th whereas I needed 3rd before remap. Should I be driving like this or in a more conservative fashion. If I don't use the power then it is not worth it. If I use the power then it is worth it. I am still experimenting and learning how the car drives now so I can safely get the most from it.
As long as your happy mate, that's all that matters... I don't for one minute doubt on what the remapping can do and what's involved. I just didn't know of the cost of remapping.
As it's very new tech, we will more than likely see remapping happening more and hopefully become cheaper in the future.
As for your comment on if a 3ltr should be chipped. Bloody oath! Or remapped. These little motors need every help they can get. It would be great to see a side by side comparo on a remap vs a chip, different branded chips too.
@TD. I have a few more things I could do to my chitter, whether it's worth it, is another thing. ..

Rock Trol
19th March 2015, 07:32 PM
Mudski, sorry if I sounded touchy but it is hard for people to get their heads around paying just for software rather than a physical device.

The cost of a remap on the Patrol would be broken down in the following way:
1. Labour to remove ECU, open it, cross the pins to allow it to be remapped, remap and tinker, close it and reinstall in the Patrol.
2. Tuner to pay off the licensing fee and maps/hardware purchased to remap (have heard around $20000 but not sure)
3. Fat profit!!!

The fat profit on it's own might not be too bad and would be what most people would think an ECU remap is worth but there are the other aspects.

If a car can be directly remapped via the port then it should be cheaper and also include real time tuning on a dyno. If more people are doing it then it will get cheaper but there is a limit as if you use the maps and software from a reputable company that has researched what it does they will want their costs recouped. For instance, I asked the tuner if he could switch off the EGR or at least the P0401 error but he said that the software would not allow it as they pay a licence fee to Nissan to get the base code and part of the deal is not to tinker with certain things. He also said that the software wont allow him to exceed certain parameters that are considered unsafe by Nissan.

I don't know if someone could crack the code and tinker on their own but would you really trust someone doing that? Most places are getting their maps and software from Europe which has been doing this for a while so there has been some research/experience into remapping diesels even if it is new over here.

mudski
19th March 2015, 10:51 PM
Mudski, sorry if I sounded touchy but it is hard for people to get their heads around paying just for software rather than a physical device.

The cost of a remap on the Patrol would be broken down in the following way:
1. Labour to remove ECU, open it, cross the pins to allow it to be remapped, remap and tinker, close it and reinstall in the Patrol.
2. Tuner to pay off the licensing fee and maps/hardware purchased to remap (have heard around $20000 but not sure)
3. Fat profit!!!

The fat profit on it's own might not be too bad and would be what most people would think an ECU remap is worth but there are the other aspects.

If a car can be directly remapped via the port then it should be cheaper and also include real time tuning on a dyno. If more people are doing it then it will get cheaper but there is a limit as if you use the maps and software from a reputable company that has researched what it does they will want their costs recouped. For instance, I asked the tuner if he could switch off the EGR or at least the P0401 error but he said that the software would not allow it as they pay a licence fee to Nissan to get the base code and part of the deal is not to tinker with certain things. He also said that the software wont allow him to exceed certain parameters that are considered unsafe by Nissan.

I don't know if someone could crack the code and tinker on their own but would you really trust someone doing that? Most places are getting their maps and software from Europe which has been doing this for a while so there has been some research/experience into remapping diesels even if it is new over here.

Nah tis' right bud. I just wasn't expecting that price for the remap. I understand, well mostly, whats involved in something like this. Reminds me of the early pc days of reflashing rom chips where we had to desolder and resolder the chips back onto the mobo's. Used to do it on graphics cards too. Lol. Now we just download the latest bios and overclock the shite out of them... (I'm a closet nerd).
Plus its a business, and they are there to make money. Its just on some things, the more expensive items, I believe, are not justified, just glorified. Comes with the territory though hey? You want it, you gotta pay for it.
Spose I can't talk, I paid nearly 1k for a graphics card last year on my pc, just so I can play my games at 80fps with Ultra high detail on a 30inch Dell monitor.

Rock Trol
20th March 2015, 12:15 AM
It's only money.
Sometimes you get buyers remorse and other times you forget amidst the enjoyment of owning what ever it was.