PDA

View Full Version : 98 TB45E oil leak solution

ISA.13B
24th February 2015, 08:34 AM
Hey guys.

Me again. ;-)

So, TB45E with an oil leak coming from behind the front belts somewhere. Its making a bloody mess!

My first assumption is front main seal. I've purchased a genuine Nissan replacement.

Any suggestions or pointers I should know before I start pulling the thing apart?

I have a workshop manual, and a decent tool kit.

Cheers lads.

billyj
24th February 2015, 07:32 PM
you will need a decent rattle gun and a puller to get the balancer off the crank, then its simple, pop the old seal out and tap the new in gently

jff45
24th February 2015, 08:47 PM
If it's an auto, you can block the engine through the hole where you unbolt the torque convertor.

ISA.13B
25th February 2015, 07:26 AM
Thanks guys.

Its a manual BTW. Couldn't I just put it in gear to stop the engine turning over and use a long bar to remove the balancer nut or bolt or what ever it is?

I have a rattle gun, not sure "decent" is a word I'd use to describe it. Its good for threading long bolts in to save my little arms. Not strong enough to undo wheel nuts though. LOL

Would a bearing puller work to remove the balancer?

Guessing I shouldn't use a pitman arm tool and lumpy. LOL

Cheers

jff45
25th February 2015, 08:03 AM
The FSM shows a simple 2 arm puller being used. I had a quick look for the image but couldn't find it.
I looked it up some time back because I have to do mine as well..

neet_wagon
25th February 2015, 08:23 PM
Hey guys.

Me again. ;-)

So, TB45E with an oil leak coming from behind the front belts somewhere. Its making a bloody mess!

My first assumption is front main seal. I've purchased a genuine Nissan replacement.

Any suggestions or pointers I should know before I start pulling the thing apart?

I have a workshop manual, and a decent tool kit.

Cheers lads.

You sure it's not coming from one of the two sump gaskets? I also have an oil leak down there, and I'm of the opinion that it's the lower sump gasket. (mainly because it's easier to replace than the rear main, or the upper sump gasket!)!

ISA.13B
26th February 2015, 10:30 AM
LOL. I'm not sure no Neet Wagon.

It does look like its coming from higher up the block though. I haven't really had a good look or cleaned the area yet though.

jff45
26th February 2015, 10:36 AM
The front seal is a common issue for the TB45E. It tends to throw the oil everywhere and will even run to the rear when bad enough.
Best to thoroughly clean it all first to be sure..