PDA

View Full Version : 18v cordless circular saw?

Cuppa
21st February 2015, 10:41 PM
A question to the handy-folk here.

I’m thinking of buying a Makita 18v circular saw (165mm) for a framing project I have coming up soon. I already have a 240v drop saw & a Triton bench saw, but the idea of a small cordless saw appeals (& I already have several 18v Makita 3.0Ah batteries for other cordless tools.

My question is - is battery power up to running a circular saw? I imagine the max timber thickness I’ll use will be 50mm & this saw has a cutting depth of 57mm. Batteries do a great job in my drill, reciprocating saw, & multi tool but I’m wondering if a circular saw might see them struggle a bit? What is your experience?

The saw ‘skins’ are available on ebay for $145, but there is a used one up for auction (& nearby) starting at $70. Would you risk the secondhand one or just buy new?

megatexture
21st February 2015, 10:54 PM
I've got a dewalt one and it's alright, the battery last better than on the grinder but not as long as the drills if That makes sense lol. If its anything other than pine forget it IMO.

I'd just save the coin and use the drop saw, more accurate and cleaner cuts

If you want something for just notching out or random cuts a reciprocating saw may work? I find the battery last longer on these

lhurley
22nd February 2015, 01:06 AM
Guess it depends on what you feel you'll be using it for. Ie cutting down sheets of ply wood, or cutting frames or anything else I can't think of right now.

I agree with mega, use the drop saw for the framing, and if need be use the recipro for notching.

kevin07
22nd February 2015, 03:29 AM
A question to the handy-folk here.

I’m thinking of buying a Makita 18v circular saw (165mm) for a framing project I have coming up soon. I already have a 240v drop saw & a Triton bench saw, but the idea of a small cordless saw appeals (& I already have several 18v Makita 3.0Ah batteries for other cordless tools.

My question is - is battery power up to running a circular saw? I imagine the max timber thickness I’ll use will be 50mm & this saw has a cutting depth of 57mm. Batteries do a great job in my drill, reciprocating saw, & multi tool but I’m wondering if a circular saw might see them struggle a bit? What is your experience?

The saw ‘skins’ are available on ebay for $145, but there is a used one up for auction (& nearby) starting at $70. Would you risk the secondhand one or just buy new?
cuppa ive got Ryobi cordless stuff and if your got the batteries yeh go for it ill use mine over the 240 volt anytime. that's for quick jobs but as others are saying mitre for longer jobs with plenty of cutting

93patrol
22nd February 2015, 06:35 AM
If you have a lot of cutting to do get 240v saw just a cheapie I think the makita 185mm are about $90 now good saws and very capable Iv had mine for 7 years and only replaced brushes. Used daily as a roof saw when I was a roof chippy.

Battery saws are great but I found that they do chew through batteries quite quick but if your not in a rush and time isn't money go for it. And you may find the saw bogging on the 50mm stuff especially if you are ripping or cross cutting anything over 250mm.

billyj
22nd February 2015, 01:06 PM
ive got the milwaukee 18v brushless saw and it out cuts every other cordless saw ive tried and gets great battery life. that said i have to agree with the other guys, get a 240 volt saw, the battery saws are great on site etc for a quick little job but most especially the older brushed motor types dont have the power for cutting decent size/thickness timbers. also they take some getting used to as they are all left handed(blade on opposite side)

Cuppa
22nd February 2015, 05:48 PM
Well I took the advice to get a 240v saw. I’ve needed a replacement for some time. Cutting full sheets of anything on the Triton bench is a bit unwieldy. I bought a cheap Makita from Bunnies, $98. Made in China & no model number listed on Makita’s web site, so I’m guessing it’s a model they import just for Bunnies. (5806B-SP). I thought Makita’s cheaper stuff was a different colour though, this is standard Makita blue. Came with two “thin’ blades & is much smoother & quieter than the monster Triton one in the workbench. Switch seems nice & smooth, again unlike the Triton one which comes on ‘suddenly’. If it lasts it’ll be a nice little saw. Years ago I had a Skil saw the same size, a cheapie, & it saw me through a couple of house renovations. I promise I wont be notching out any veranda posts single handed whilst up a ladder with this one - I’ve got a bit smarter with age .... I think!