PDA

View Full Version : Coleman Hot Water Service Power Supply, run when battery is dead

Flex
21st February 2015, 04:20 PM
The Coleman hot water service is an awesome piece of camping equipment, it allows you to have a shower anywhere when you are out camping.

However the only issue (that I have found) with the unit is the battery. More times that I can remember I've only got one shower out of the unit (as the battery died) or I have forgotten to charge the battery before heading out bush. Plus you can't run the unit when you are charging the battery.

So to solve my problem, I decided to make a power supply for the unit (as the unit runs off 6V) so I could run it off my car's 12V socket. I wanted the power supply to be integrated, as I didn't want switches to flick or extra cables coming out of the unit.

My power supply allows the unit to function like original with the extra bonus when the battery dies you just plug it in and the unit will keep on giving you hot water and charge the battery.

The power supply plugs into the original connectors inside and is attached to the case via stick on mounting posts.

I also incorporated a low voltage (12V side) shut-down so not to flatten your car battery and a detection circuit so you can't run the hot water service while you are charging the battery from the (240VAC) wall charger. (Also the wall charger can't handle the current.)

I was also toying with the idea of making some more of these if anyone is interested.

Below is pictures of the power supply installed into my hot water service:

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x423/djflexdex/P1030743.jpg

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x423/djflexdex/P1030745.jpg

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x423/djflexdex/P1030749.jpg

http://i1181.photobucket.com/albums/x423/djflexdex/P1030756.jpg

AB
21st February 2015, 04:27 PM
The Coleman hot water service is an awesome piece of camping equipment, it allows you to have a shower anywhere when you are out camping.

However the only issue (that I have found) with the unit is the battery. More times that I can remember I've only got one shower out of the unit (as the battery died) or I have forgotten to charge the battery before heading out bush. Plus you can't run the unit when you are charging the battery.

So to solve my problem, I decided to make a power supply for the unit (as the unit runs of 6V) so I could run it off my car's 12V socket. I wanted the power supply to be integrated, as I didn't want switches to flick or extra cables coming out of the unit.

My power supply allows the unit to function like original with the extra bonus when the battery dies you just plug it in and the unit will keep on giving you hot water and charge the battery.

The power supply plugs into the original connectors inside and is attached to the case via stick on mounting posts.

I also incorporated a low voltage (12V side) shut-down so not to flatten your car battery and a detection circuit so you can't run the hot water service while you are charging the battery from the (240VAC) wall charger. (Also the wall charger can't handle the current.)

I was also toying with the idea of making some more of these if anyone is interested.

Below is pictures of the power supply installed into my hot water service:

I'm interested!

Noticing my battery is not lasting long these days and shutting off whilst charging is very frustrating.

Cuppa
21st February 2015, 08:05 PM
Batteries for a hws..... strewth! next you’ll be telling me ya need gas too!. ;)

Flex
24th February 2015, 08:44 AM
Crunch the numbers last night and work out if I make a batch of them the minimum order would have to be around 50 to keep the price down. Sell price would be around $80 which would include the circuit board, loom and mounts

threedogs
24th February 2015, 01:43 PM
these Coleman showers most pull a heap of amps,
so what is the voltage and how many watts is it???

the evil twin
24th February 2015, 02:01 PM
these Coleman showers most pull a heap of amps,
so what is the voltage and how many watts is it???

Nah, they pull bugger all really.
The battery runs the dinky little supply pump and some minor electronics.
They use a 6 Volt battery so it can be portable but recharged from a 12 volt source which is good in some ways but a bit of a PIA in others.

I used to leave mine plugged in to the Camper 12 volts overnight when it isn't being used.
That way it is 100% charged each morning and assuming the 6 volt battery is in reasonable nick should have ample capacity for general camp use and showering.

I don't know how many showers it stops at because it never went flat for teh two of us but most we used it was for 5 a couple of times and was still going.

A 12 volt power supply will mean it will run without disconnecting the charge source and while ever you keep the Gas up to it so very handy for some I reckon.

threedogs
24th February 2015, 02:07 PM
Oh so it has a canister to heat the water and a small pump to circulate it.
clever

the evil twin
24th February 2015, 02:09 PM
Canister or normal LPG using an adapter and hose but you lose the portability.

I have a filler that connects LPG to the canister and refills the unit as the Coleman Canisters aren't exactly cheap.

Flex
24th February 2015, 02:23 PM
The hot water service draws 3A max and 2.6A while running. So around 20W of power.

AB
24th February 2015, 04:45 PM
Sounds like my battery is on its way out then.

I would get a third of that usage time ET!!!

the evil twin
24th February 2015, 05:04 PM
Sounds like my battery is on its way out then.

I would get a third of that usage time ET!!!

Replacement battery is about $20 to $40 depending who you wish to patronise.

The battery should last for about an hour depending on useage pattern

Winnie
24th February 2015, 05:20 PM
Don't worry ET. Andy has reeeaaaaaally really long showers

the evil twin
24th February 2015, 05:22 PM
Showers or Enemas?

He'll need to choose one or the other...

AB
24th February 2015, 07:45 PM
Showers or Enemas?

He'll need to choose one or the other...

AB
20th August 2015, 09:02 PM
Did you get any love with this post Flex?

Cuppa
20th August 2015, 09:32 PM
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Industry-Grade-DC-12V-To-DC-6V-3A-Step-Down-Converter-AU-/321836486569?hash=item4aeef30fa9

Flex
21st August 2015, 08:54 AM
AB, as cuppa pointed out no one really wants a custom solution. My unit did have the features like automatic switch over and under/ over voltage shut off, but for less than $10 off eBay for a simpler 12V -> 6V converter my solution wasn't worth it for most.

Nightjar
21st August 2015, 09:31 AM
Our simple solution when remote and water is very precious is to recycle the water and get two showers with only 10litres of water.
Modified the van shower adding an additional 12V pressure pump fitted NRV's prevent shower water polluting van supply.
Heat up a bucket of water over the camp fire tip it into the shower recess start pump and you can shower until the water runs cold.
Dump when finished and you're ready for following day.