hi,

petrol or lpg while river xsing?

thx,
flo

BigRAWesty
19th February 2015, 10:56 PM
hi, petrol or lpg while river xsing? thx, flo

G'day mate.
How about an intro and a little about yourself and your rig in the intros section.
Just something we ask of new members.

But to be honest. I don't think it make fark all difference if your running lpg or petrol. Just keep the water out of the intake

mudnut
20th February 2015, 12:01 AM
It all depends on the condition and workmanship of the gas installation.

Make sure the installer hasn't used scotch locks (pictured) to splice or join wires as they can fail when exposed to moisture and vibration.

Check all of the connections have been soldered and sealed with either heat shrink or brush-on electrical tape.

Make sure there are no exposed wires due to rubbing the bodywork, chassis or exhaust.

If water enters a cable it will eventually cause problems.

threedogs
20th February 2015, 06:53 AM
Deeper crossing have their own set of problems with the gas tank being very bouyant.
Same goes for nearly empty fuel tanks

garett
5th March 2015, 05:37 PM
as a mechanic that works on gas cars i'd use petrol, if it gets wet its more likely to backfire and cause damage.

GQ Shory
6th March 2015, 10:14 AM
the shorty was fitted with just gas when I bought it. TB42

the only issue I had was water getting on the dizzy and making the engine cough and backfire.

not a good feeling being stuck half way through with water at the base of the gear knob

nicksamaniac
22nd April 2015, 05:45 PM
I used to run straight lpg.
1 time I crossed a creek with a fair amount of fury haha, it was only 10-12inches deep?
But my air filter did get splashed with water, only got about 5% wet but it stalled and refused to re start.
I thought I had wet my ignition wiring, but after trying for about 15min to fault find it, I removed the filter and away it went!
As soon as I tried to put it back in it would stall.
Point is, fuel will run with little to no air flow, like a choke condition.
But lpg requires air to run, and lots of it.

Just my experience, it may or may not help you, but if it was me I'd switch to fuel just in case.