PDA

View Full Version : Air Suspension

TheFlyingBadger
14th March 2011, 11:10 PM
I'm in the early stages of thinking about a suspension lift (and airbags for the CT), and went onto theairbagman's website. then i saw this (http://www.airbagman.com.au/OA.html). Has anyone got any experience with these fitted to a patrol?

MudRunnerTD
15th March 2011, 12:10 AM
Yes a guy in my club spent a small fortune fitting this to his GU, did one trip through Tassie at Christmas and came home and had it all CUT OUT and replaced. I blame the fitter who took him for a ride, charged him heaps, charged him then to cut it out and charged him again to fit something else. Got ripped.

But he Hated the setup and it did not function in the rough stuff like he expected. I am sure it would be great on the bitumen towing a caravan.

My guy is down $10k

TheFlyingBadger
15th March 2011, 02:43 AM
looks like they're off the list then....

nowoolies
15th March 2011, 04:40 AM
I'm in the early stages of thinking about a suspension lift (and airbags for the CT), and went onto theairbagman's website. then i saw this (http://www.airbagman.com.au/OA.html). Has anyone got any experience with these fitted to a patrol?

g`day mate i got them in my G U fanfriggingtastic and not sure what happened to mudrunners mate but 10k ???????
go see Rob at robson bro`s mention me lmao
got a mate with full air ride bit bouncey only cost around 2k full auto with manual override
but i would not go down that road if yer gunna get serious 4x4x4x4xing do the same as mine maybe??? air assist
nowoolies
Paul

MudRunnerTD
15th March 2011, 08:11 AM
Yeah as i said i blamed the fitter and i reckon he definitely got taken for a big ride. I am not sure what he did not like about the setup and / or whether there was a significant failure as straight after Christmas he headed to far north WA for a 3 year assignment but i had a good chat with the VP of our club who was on the tassie trip with him and he could not believe how bad the setup was and how poorly done by the guy was by the dealer.

Logically the system should be a winner but this is the only feedback i have.

As Woolie said an assist setup would likely be the best result.

Good luck

Bigrig
15th March 2011, 09:27 AM
I don't have air suspension as such, but have the poly bags in the rear for carrying load, and have to say, they are ideal. I only air them up occasionally to keep the car level, but fully aired, they lift the back about 2-3 inches higher than the front - good for looks, not so good is how bloody harsh the ride becomes though!!! If I have heavy gear on the trailer, and gear in the back, I just throw a few PSI in them to take the weight off the springs ...

TheFlyingBadger
15th March 2011, 09:38 AM
yeah, I had polyairs in my last car (it was a Santa Fe, so the polyairs were tincy-tiny-cutey things!) and they were great. That's why i was on the airbagman's website - i just wondered if anyone had had much of a go with a full air setup

BillsGU
15th March 2011, 05:23 PM
Unless you really - really - really need them, its just more expensive stuff to go wrong out bush.

Bigrig
15th March 2011, 06:08 PM
Unless you really - really - really need them, its just more expensive stuff to go wrong out bush.

X2 - I don't have them, but would be concerned if they let go in the worst situation ... which Murphy's law dictates will happen!!

TheFlyingBadger
15th March 2011, 07:40 PM
I tend to agree. now for more spring/shock research....

TheFlyingBadger
15th March 2011, 11:09 PM
Hi Jon. If it's for heavy towing I'd probably go Hayman Reece level-rides before the poly bags. I'd rather have the full spring available to take shock rather than transferring shock loads to the chassis via airbags. Just my opinion.

Interesting point. I've actually got a 550lb HR WDH sat in the shed but not had it on my Patrol yet. What is everyone's feelings about WDH vs Airbags? I (based primarily on my suspension man's advice) favour the airbag route (hence the WDH is relegated to the shed), but what is best for towing a Glamper with a 170-190Kg ball weight?

MudRunnerTD
16th March 2011, 12:01 AM
I have PolyAirs on teh GU and went to allot of trouble to keep them when i did the lift. i used them heaps with the standard setup and they were great for towing the camper but after the lift and the HD springs i found that i did not need to use the poly bags for the big trip through the centre in September and left them with minimum air for that trip and did not even think about them.

Moral of the story there is the correct spring will make a massive difference to what you think you need and the Polys will sort out the rest.

my2c