PDA

View Full Version : Insuring my Patrol.

Cuppa
19th February 2015, 01:51 PM
My insurance renewal comes up soon & I will need to change insurer. This is a real pity because the policy I’ve had on the Patrol up to now has been great. It is through the CMCA’s (motorhome club) insurance scheme & was an agreed value (based on a valuation) at what seems is a very competitive premium, giving cover anywhere in Australia.

Age 57, Rating 1 no claims bonus, agreed value $56k for $680 for 12 months. Unfortunately because I am going to remove the rooftop tent the Patrol will no longer have ‘integral’ sleeping accomodation & so will not meet the criteria necessary to get ‘motorhome’ insurance. Oh well it was good whilst it lasted.

So I had been doing the ring around to get quotes & getting increasingly despondent as a result. I tried several insurers, CGU,DGA, Affinity, a local broker, & one or two others I can’t recall, all of whom seem to be run by ‘jobsworths’ unable to comprehend that things like either a) lots of 4wd’s have more than 5% of the vehicle’s value in accessories or modifications or b) have accessories like a hot water service or solar. Lifts, bulbar, CB etc etc are ok, but as soon as ‘non 4wd’ accessories are mentioned it falls outside the criteria for their policies. None could offer me a ‘tailored’ package, in fact they could all offer me nothing. It was starting to look like I couldn’t get the Patrol insured other than for the base vehicle ‘book’ value of around $26k even after sending them photos.

Arthur J Gallagher (formerly Oamps, formerly TCIS) who we have the Tvan insured through then offered me a max agreed value of $39,000 for $775 a year. It looked like that was the best I could get. I began to realise how good the motorhome club insurance had been. It really cheesed me off that I was going to have to pay $100 more per year for $17,000 less agreed value. What really cheesed me off though is that both the motorhome club insurance & the AJG insurance are through Allianz, & I’m asking to insure the same vehicle minus a rooftop tent. Sheesh!

We were going to accept the AJG quote, but I thought I’d have one more shot today & phoned Shannons, fully expecting that they would insure me for a better agreed value but at a huge premium. I was with them once before when I had a Troopy worth more than the book price.
Well! Once they had accepted that it was no longer a ‘motorhome’ & that I would remove the rooftop tent they were indeed happy to insure me for my suggested agreed value figure of $45k, after I had listed all the ‘extras’. They confirmed that the cover was for anywhere in Australia, on or off road, just so long as it was legal, not just on gazetted roads. Covered against getting swamped by tides, or during creek crossings etc. Only place they wont cover is in a 4wd park. Annual premium $785. I had been expecting them to say over a $1000. Still not as good as the Motorhome club insurance (which has a number of worthwhile extra benefits too) but in comparison to the rest are way better. More than anything it really seemed to make a difference to speak to someone who understood. Initially he was uncertain & went of to consult with a senior, came back & said “So really we are talking about a 4wd with a heap of storage, solar & cooking facilities in the back aren’t we?” “Yes” I said. “No problem” said he. :)

GVM upgrade with engineer certification & approval plate.
(included all new suspension & 2” lift)

3” Stainless exhaust system

Nissan bullbar & towbar

Roscos Trade Mate aluminium canopy with dual spare wheel carriers.

Warn Winch XD9000 + Synthetic rope & alloy hawse.

Redarc EGT/Boost & Oil pressure & coolant temp
gauges plus mounting pod.

Redarc Tow Pro Brake electric brake controller.

ROH Blak Trak steel wheels x 6

Rear vision & reversing cameras (x2) & monitor

Tyredog tyre pressure monitoring system

Engine Saver Low Coolant alarm.

Window weather shields

Nissan front wheel arch flares

Nissan Snorkel

Nissan alloy sidesteps

Driving lights mounted on bullbar .

Uniden UHF + antenna + extension speaker.

Pioneer iPod compatible radio +JL Audio C2 Evolution
split system speakers .

Black Duck Canvas seat covers

Upgraded front brake discs & pads (RDA/EBC)

Solar Panel roof mounted on Rhino roof bars -125w

Portable solar panels 300w + 10m 6B&S cable +
Anderson plug connectors.

3 x 120Ah Ritar AGM batteries

Redarc dc to dc charger/solar regulator (BCDC1240)

Victron Phoenix 350w Pure Sine inverter

BMS Battery monitor

Sophisticated 12 v electrical system utilising Blusea distribution,
switching & circuit breakers. Separate 240v system with
certification.

Kitchen with food storage, Lido stove with flame out protection,
pressurised (electric) hot & cold water, sink. Fire extinguisher.
Hot water from a 22 litre ’Surecal’ Marine Calorifier

Custom made 165 litre water tank + 30 litre under tray tank.

On board air - Boss Air compressor PX 7 with 9 litre alloy tank

Storage framework & storage bins

ARB 60 litre Fridge /Freezer on ARB slide plus
ARB 35 litre Fridge/Freezer on ARB slide. Both with transit
covers.

threedogs
19th February 2015, 02:21 PM
You might find if you join a club you will get further insurance discounts.

4bye4
19th February 2015, 02:34 PM
Glad to hear you got some satisfaction in the end, albiet at a higher premium. I am personally peed off with what I call boxtickers in all areas of servicing. If there are any changes from standard or there is no tick box on their screen, then it doesn't exist and they can't handle it.

megatexture
19th February 2015, 02:36 PM
Would the rooftop tent need to be attached 100% of the time to be eligible? If not they won’t know how often it is attached.

Winnie
19th February 2015, 02:41 PM
If it is going to cost you $100 a year and $17k in the case of an accident to remove the tent, you'd be mad to take it off!

When I tried Shannons they were not interested in insuring a 4WD. That was before I told them my age.

cgm
19th February 2015, 03:04 PM
I need to get off my backside and call them. :) My RACV renewal came in yesterday, so that is another prompter for me to do it.

I will also check if it makes any difference with Shannons to be a member with the local 4WD club

Cuppa
19th February 2015, 03:06 PM
TD - possibly, several insurers asked about club membership. Surprisingly Shannons didt.

4bye4 - boxtickers - exactly!

MT - yes it would for the motorhome club insurance. (I asked).

Winnie - Yeah, we talked about keeping it on, but there are other advantages to removing it other than insurance. Reduced weight 70kg (up high), reduced fuel consumption (more important in terms of fuel range), replacing the RTT with the currently portable solar panels make camp life far easier, especially when travelling for long periods of time. It may well make sense to keep the RTT on for the next 12 months whilst we are still at home & then remove it ....... but having just gone around the insurance roundabout & come out the other end slightly dizzy but with what seems like a reasonable compromise, I reckon we’ll probably take it, just so I don’t have to do all the stuffing around again next year. I made it clear to Shannons it was a 4wd from the outset. When clarifying the off road nature of the coverage the bloke commented “It’s a 4wd, that’s their intended usage”.

I should add, that the Shannons policy is for ‘Limited use’ , which they define as ‘on average will only be used once or twice per week’. For daily use the premium is $150 more. (My underline).

Cuppa
19th February 2015, 03:14 PM
I need to get off my backside and call them. :) My RACV renewal came in yesterday, so that is another prompter for me to do it.

I will also check if it makes any difference with Shannons to be a member with the local 4WD club

It’d still pay you to do the ring around Cameron, all your mods/accessories are things that 4wd insurers understand (they have boxes to tick for them). If Shannons tell you they do give a club discount I should get signed up with the club asap!

TPC
19th February 2015, 04:24 PM
I am surprised you got a good price from Shannons, I got a quote off them in 2013 for 45K agreed value and they quoted $1,166 pa which was almost double the exact policy with RAA.
They even tried to convince me I would not get a better price.

Cuppa
19th February 2015, 05:49 PM
I am surprised you got a good price from Shannons, I got a quote off them in 2013 for 45K agreed value and they quoted $1,166 pa which was almost double the exact policy with RAA.
They even tried to convince me I would not get a better price.

You’re surprised - you could’ve knocked me down with a feather! I always thought of them as a very expensive last resort.

katwoman
19th February 2015, 06:12 PM
I changed to Shannons when I bought the 4.2. Just had to prove I was 'a motoring enthusiast' and they were happy. They were the only ones that would insure a 15 year old car for over $20k.

the evil twin
19th February 2015, 06:51 PM
I changed to Shannons 12 months ago

Shannons kicked everyone elses arse when I had had enough of OAMPS jacking their premiums by ridiculous amounts every year and did the ring around.

Shannons came in cheapest with best risk coverage - $60K agreed at $1100 p.a.

Patrol'n
20th February 2015, 01:22 AM
I cannot speak highly enough of Shannon's, I was with them years ago, and had to make 3 claims through them, (none my fault)! They were awesome, and not much more expensive than "mainstream" insurers.

I recently worked out how much my GQ owes me with all the extras and add ons, and then after speaking to my insurer worked out that they would not insure for anywhere close to that value!

So I rang Shannon's, (been meaning to call them for ages but I've been distracted /busy / lazy), and explained the condition of the car, (really good considering she's 21 years old), and all the extras and how much I'd spent.

They said no problems at all, and insured for the total value of the cost of the car to me, and all extras! The premium is only slightly more than my previous insurer, but at almost twice the insured value.

I rate these guys very highly, can't say enough good things about em!

Stropp
20th February 2015, 01:36 AM
Yep I'm with Shannon's 43k and around that $770 mark, mind you I had to ring several years in a row before they gave me a reasonable premium then I swapped over to them.

Agronaught
20th February 2015, 07:50 AM
I think I'll be changing. I'm currently under insured and my premium is higher than that.

Time to call Shannon's.

threedogs
20th February 2015, 08:50 AM
I think the TLCCV use Infinity Insurance they are a dedicated 4wd insurer??
any mods anywhere on the planet

BigRAWesty
20th February 2015, 09:12 AM
Shit...... I've just look at our $5000 crap box ford and we're paying $920 a year for market value.
Looks like I'm making Some phone calls

Cuppa
20th February 2015, 09:48 AM
I think the TLCCV use Infinity Insurance they are a dedicated 4wd insurer??
any mods anywhere on the planet

Unfortunately not. It’s Affinity & this was the response I had from them:

Thank you for your 4WD Insurance quote request. We have been in lengthy negotiations with underwriting insurer and based on a) total value of your vehicle modifications/accessories and b) type of modifications, we regret to advise that we are unable to provide cover as this falls outside the underwriters guidelines.
We apologise that we are unable to be of assistance on this occasion.

Clunk
20th February 2015, 10:06 AM
Shit...... I've just look at our $5000 crap box ford and we're paying $920 a year for market value.
Looks like I'm making Some phone calls

your age will be against you

BigRAWesty
20th February 2015, 10:30 AM
your age will be against you
Not really. Just doing a ring around. Same cover and budget direct come in at $43/m.

SGIC was agreed at 5500 (both market and agreed are $79/m with sgic) and market value with budget direct is 5500 for the car. Both differ a little but over offer the same thing.

And to add insult to injury that quote from SGIC is with a 12.5% discount for having house and car with them for 7 years.

Cuppa
20th February 2015, 01:10 PM
Not really. Just doing a ring around. Same cover and budget direct come in at $43/m.

SGIC was agreed at 5500 (both market and agreed are $79/m with sgic) and market value with budget direct is 5500 for the car. Both differ a little but over offer the same thing.

And to add insult to injury that quote from SGIC is with a 12.5% discount for having house and car with them for 7 years.

Far out! $948 per year to cover $5500! If I had no conscience I could almost wish I’d been an insurer.

I know we have emotional attachment to our vehicles but I’d really have to wonder if it was worth paying out almost 1/5th of the vehicle’s value annually to insure it. In the event of a total loss & after any excess had been paid you would probably still end up with a payout which would be insufficient to replace the vehicle with similar. On the basis that there is probably a greater chance that you won’t make a claim than there is that you will, it might be better to save the monthly cost of the insurance, puting it to one side ‘just in case’. Even paying 1/10th of the vehicle’s value annually seems high. Just a thought. We recently went through this decision making process in regard to my wife’s car which is a reliable little 2 door hatchback worth only about $3k. We decided to switch from comprehensive to third party fire & theft cover because the comprehensive premiums were out of proption to the value of the car.

BigRAWesty
20th February 2015, 01:28 PM
Far out! $948 per year to cover $5500! If I had no conscience I could almost wish I’d been an insurer. I know we have emotional attachment to our vehicles but I’d really have to wonder if it was worth paying out almost 1/5th of the vehicle’s value annually to insure it. In the event of a total loss & after any excess had been paid you would probably still end up with a payout which would be insufficient to replace the vehicle with similar. On the basis that there is probably a greater chance that you won’t make a claim than there is that you will, it might be better to save the monthly cost of the insurance, puting it to one side ‘just in case’. Even paying 1/10th of the vehicle’s value annually seems high. Just a thought. We recently went through this decision making process in regard to my wife’s car which is a reliable little 2 door hatchback worth only about $3k. We decided to switch from comprehensive to third party fire & theft cover because the comprehensive premiums were out of proption to the value of the car.

Tell me about it. Now thinking about it I would have paid over the car value in insurance.

threedogs
20th February 2015, 02:09 PM
just sent an email so we'll see as I said i wasnt 100 %

BigRAWesty
20th February 2015, 02:20 PM
But cuppa knowing my luck I'd can may insurance and start putting money away, week later Murphy would pay a visit

threedogs
20th February 2015, 02:53 PM
@ Kallen maybe you only need fire and theft

Clunk
20th February 2015, 02:58 PM
I've mentioned this in another thread. But I personally wouldn't risk just having 3rd party fire & theft...... Yes we pay a hefty premium for fully comp but there's too many muppets out there who drive around with no insurance. If they hit you, then good luck trying to get any money out of them.
In my opinion 3rd party fire and theft should be mandatory for anyone who owns/drives/rides a vehicle.

TPC
20th February 2015, 03:41 PM
I've mentioned this in another thread. But I personally wouldn't risk just having 3rd party fire & theft...... Yes we pay a hefty premium for fully comp but there's too many muppets out there who drive around with no insurance. If they hit you, then good luck trying to get any money out of them.
In my opinion 3rd party fire and theft should be mandatory for anyone who owns/drives/rides a vehicle.

Totally agree, should not be allowed on the road without 3rd party property insurance as a minimum.

threedogs
20th February 2015, 04:58 PM
Affinity brokers insure a lot of the TLCCV guys for any where on
Main land Aust doesn't even have to be a road, the under writer is CGU.
Affinity also do the clubs public liability.

Cuppa
20th February 2015, 05:42 PM
Affinity brokers insure a lot of the TLCCV guys for any where on
Main land Aust doesn't even have to be a road, the under writer is CGU.
Affinity also do the clubs public liability.

The anywhere in Australia, on or off road, was a requisite for me. Without that they were not even a consideration. CGU’s policy states "Cover on your vehicle includesany additional equipment ofaccessories up to 5% of yourvehicle’s market value or $2000whichever is lesser, unless theyare specified otherwise on yourpolicy schedule”. Clearly in my case (& I’d suggest in many others cases this accessory ‘ allowance’ is woefully inadequate. Obviously they are willing to consider higher figures than this, but whatever their unspecified limit is, mine was above it. CGU are by no means alone in this. Yes, club membership may get you a slightly better allowance, as might going through a broker like Affinity. However they weren’t prepared to play ball with me & I’m guessing there are plenty of folk driving 4wd’s who are significantly under insured when the cost of their accessories & additions are taken into account, & that’s wrong I reckon.
I was talking to Macca recently & he made a very good point when he posed the question “Why aren’t the sellers of 4wd accessories, like ARB, OL, TJM, OME, etc etc etc putting pressure onto the insurance companies to take into account the value (cost) of their not inexpensive accessories.

If I were a betting man I’d put money on the fact that a high proportion of our members here are insured for significantly less than they believe their vehicle plus modifications & accessories to be worth ...... & not through choice.

BigRAWesty
20th February 2015, 09:49 PM
The anywhere in Australia, on or off road, was a requisite for me. Without that they were not even a consideration. CGU's policy states "Cover on your vehicle includesany additional equipment ofaccessories up to 5% of yourvehicle's market value or $2000whichever is lesser, unless theyare specified otherwise on yourpolicy schedule". Clearly in my case (& I'd suggest in many others cases this accessory ' allowance' is woefully inadequate. Obviously they are willing to consider higher figures than this, but whatever their unspecified limit is, mine was above it. CGU are by no means alone in this. Yes, club membership may get you a slightly better allowance, as might going through a broker like Affinity. However they weren't prepared to play ball with me & I'm guessing there are plenty of folk driving 4wd's who are significantly under insured when the cost of their accessories & additions are taken into account, & that's wrong I reckon. I was talking to Macca recently & he made a very good point when he posed the question "Why aren't the sellers of 4wd accessories, like ARB, OL, TJM, OME, etc etc etc putting pressure onto the insurance companies to take into account the value (cost) of their not inexpensive accessories. If I were a betting man I'd put money on the fact that a high proportion of our members here are insured for significantly less than they believe their vehicle plus modifications & accessories to be worth ...... & not through choice.

I know I currently am.
Atm the patrol is still under the farm.
Up side it's cheap. Down side is nothing is covered. If it was stolen tomorrow id be lucky to get 7g in my hand.

Again. I comes down to how deep your pockets are.

Needless to say after today's find I'll be hunting for the house to....

Clunk
20th February 2015, 10:05 PM
I was talking to Macca recently & he made a very good point when he posed the question “Why aren’t the sellers of 4wd accessories, like ARB, OL, TJM, OME, etc etc etc putting pressure onto the insurance companies to take into account the value (cost) of their not inexpensive accessories. [/SIZE][/FONT]
Because they're in the business of selling accessories and why would they want to bother? Something gets replaced whether insured or not, they get a sale either way

Avo
20th February 2015, 10:07 PM
insured my GQ while I had it with RAC here in WA for 12 000 and only cost 515 a yr and 500 excess..the gu 2010 is insured with them aswell for 42 500 for 680 a yr..

jay see
20th February 2015, 10:07 PM
Needless to say after today's find I'll be hunting for the house to....

I did the ring around for home and contents insurance a few years back and ditched the ANZ/CGU for a mod in WA. All values the same and half the premium. Had to make a claim three months in as we got flooded (hot water flex hose split) replaced all flooring throughout the house, rent for s few weeks, and a few other expenses where paid. Not a single problem. Still the cheapest.

Rock Trol
20th February 2015, 10:11 PM
I am with Shannons as well. Have been for years with my previous car.
I asked them about coverage and they said anywhere in Australia. The only thing they don't cover is motor sport events. Their PID also confirms this. They did not mention anything regarding 4WD parks though. If its not a race/event then there is no exclusion. For example, if you camp at Loveday and happen to do some of the tracks in an non competition fashion then I don't see how they could reject a claim.

On a side note, I have heard through from a mate that his friend hit a cow while driving his Patrol as a support vehicle for one of the charity bush bash events. His insurance (don't know who) refused to pay as he was part of a motor sport event.

Chappy
21st February 2015, 10:14 PM
I wish I could insure my Patrol...

Majestic
22nd February 2015, 05:43 PM

I have been saying that for years. TBH it's a crime not to at least have 3rd party insurance to cover someone else's car if you're at fault. I had 3rd party since I was on my L's until I got the Patrol 1 and 1/2 years ago.

I know I currently am.
Atm the patrol is still under the farm.
Up side it's cheap. Down side is nothing is covered. If it was stolen tomorrow id be lucky to get 7g in my hand.

NRMA only insured my 89 GQ TD42 for market value, which you guessed it was roughly $7000. I'd be lucky to find another TD42 for that price. I only got mine for $5000 due to the rust it has.

I am only staying with them for the loyal member discount, it's like 12% or something. However once we buy my wife a new car next year and put it under my insurance I think I'll look for someone to insure my Patrol for something better than $7000.

cgm
23rd February 2015, 05:01 PM
Sub topic of "insuring my 1997 Holden Jackaroo" ...

Just got off the phone and swapped from RACV to Shannons. Was paying $42/mth for market value, which was probably in the $3000 range, but you can't tie that down until it is all pear shaped. I added up at new price, the accessories would be around $10600. So they offered me agreed value of $7000 for $47/mth. Looking at some of the other prices, it is amazing that an older car is charged about the same premium as something that insurance value would have 3-4 times the insured value. Sucks, but I think I'm in a better position now than before at least.

BigRAWesty
23rd February 2015, 05:25 PM
So has anyone used budget choice or RAA??
They are my final runners.
Both in at just under $50 month with full glass coverage

TPC
23rd February 2015, 08:11 PM
So has anyone used budget choice or RAA??
They are my final runners.
Both in at just under $50 month with full glass coverage

I have used RAA for years and always found them great.
The last claim I took it to my preferred crash repairer and told them I was insured with RAA and they told me I would not have to worry about other quotes and leave the car with them and they would contact the assessor for approval, was great having it repaired with no hassles or arguments.

I recently changed my house and contents over to them and get a multi policy discount.

BigRAWesty
23rd February 2015, 08:41 PM
I have used RAA for years and always found them great. The last claim I took it to my preferred crash repairer and told them I was insured with RAA and they told me I would not have to worry about other quotes and leave the car with them and they would contact the assessor for approval, was great having it repaired with no hassles or arguments. I recently changed my house and contents over to them and get a multi policy discount.

Just reading threw the pds's for all parties and I think Raa are the winners.
It's the little things like car seat cover. Trailer cover. Rating one for life.

I think they are the winners

Ben-e-boy
23rd February 2015, 09:14 PM
I wish I could insure my Patrol...

Same, although Youi would insure mine for a maximum of $8k whick is low with accessories upto $1400, which is less than it cost to replace the rear shocks

To me it seemed a waste of money paying premiums, I just keep the 3rd party

cgm
25th February 2015, 12:14 AM
Same, although Youi would insure mine for a maximum of $8k whick is low with accessories upto $1400, which is less than it cost to replace the rear shocks

To me it seemed a waste of money paying premiums, I just keep the 3rd party

Yeah I was debating this as well. It's tough to decide what the cutoff point is. I'm sure the standard insurance I paid last year wasn't worth it. For now I still owe a few things so feel the monthly fee would at least keep me in wheels to get to work in if it was a writeoff. Might change my mind on that next year after a few loans are finished.

BigRAWesty
25th February 2015, 08:01 PM
So dropped into Raa today to get some firm quotes and while was there I thought I'd test them with my patrol.

So I started with market value and then started listing.

And then the best bit.

Their market value...

And then the even best bit!!!!

I can't believe it.... I'm going to did threw the pds to see where they cover. But paired with the Raa service I should be covered australia wide.

cgm
25th February 2015, 08:40 PM
That looks good Kallen, well compared to what RACV would offer me in Vic at least. They charged extra for monthly as well.

BigRAWesty
25th February 2015, 09:10 PM
That looks good Kallen, well compared to what RACV would offer me in Vic at least. They charged extra for monthly as well.

Yea I hate companies that do that.
How much really does it take to set the computer up for 12 deductions instead of 1...

But Raa also deduct on your selected day. That is always a good thing to coincide with the pay day.