PDA

View Full Version : After market exhausts and catalytic converters

Rock Trol
18th February 2015, 09:23 PM
Hi everyone.

I know it is a legal requirement to have a catalytic converted on a ZD30 but there are a lot of 3 inch exhaust systems out there without them. The question is, does anyone know of specific cases where someone has run one of these and been picked up by the police?

4bye4
18th February 2015, 09:37 PM
In my opinion, you are unlikely to get picked up for no cat. You are more likely to be stopped for some other infringement and end up with the vehicle being stickered. Thing is if they start measuring lifts or don't like your light positioning or whatever, you may end up with more than a warning if they decide to inspect the vehicle. This is just my opinion. I have never been stopped in my Patrol except for RBT once, but my opinion comes from mods done over the years on road cars. I was never stopped for engine mods but was once checked for excessively dark tint, which ended up with extractors, exhaust carbi/intake tyre size and everything else being "noted". Yellow sticker and quite a bit of cash to restore the car to standard.

tonym9643
19th February 2015, 08:07 PM
Mate....

You thinking of putting one of those exhaust systems that are advertised on ebay. I think the price I am looking at is around the $ 500- $ 600 mark.
with cat converter. no muffler. don't need one.
If so let me know what you recon.

Tony

Rock Trol
19th February 2015, 08:40 PM
Hi Tony, I had a Pacemaker system put on 2 months ago but they made a mistake and did not put the Cat on. I have been driving around without one until yesterday when they finally got one in and the time to fit it.

It was more just a general question as I see a lot being advertised online without the cat. Pacemaker do a system with and without a cat and they are an established exhaust company. Also a few people kept on telling me not to bother with it. I was just interested if it was common that people get picked without it. Looks to me there are more people who know someone first hand who has had a 'grenade' than been caught without a cat.

oncedisturbed
20th February 2015, 09:48 AM
Send the guys from Genie Exhausts who are forum vendors and get the info direct from them. Great to deal with do up a good product.

threedogs
20th February 2015, 10:54 AM
I would run a free flowing Cat and I do cause if you do get caught without one you will be torn a new one for free.
Keep it legal no huge benefits against the alternative $Huge fines $$$$$$$$

bowerbird
20th February 2015, 11:41 AM
[QUOTE=Rock Trol;581605]Hi Tony, I had a Pacemaker system put on 2 months ago but they made a mistake and did not put the Cat on. I have been driving around without one until yesterday when they finally got one in and the time to fit it.

It was more just a general question as I see a lot being advertised online without the cat. Pacemaker do a system with and without a cat and they are an established exhaust company. Also a few people kept on telling me not to bother with it. I was just interested if it was common that people get picked without it. Looks to me there are more people who know someone first hand who has had a 'grenade' than been caught without a cat.[/QUOTE

Rock Trol did you notice any difference in performance?]

threedogs
20th February 2015, 12:57 PM
There is no evidence IMO that the CAT is related to any Grenade issues

Rock Trol
20th February 2015, 01:40 PM
There is no evidence IMO that the CAT is related to any Grenade issues

Sorry, I meant that it is rare for anyone to get caught as no one has responded to the question with a firm answer. Most answers are of what would happen if caught. If I asked does anyone know first hand of a grenade then I would get a lot of responses.

Rock Trol
20th February 2015, 01:49 PM
I could not notice any real difference in performance. Mine is high flow 100 cell steel core cat. For peace of mind well worth it.

threedogs
20th February 2015, 01:55 PM
Just for RW purposes I'd think most keep their Patrol as legal as possible.
free flowing cat is nearly straight through anyway, eh

Rock Trol
20th February 2015, 04:32 PM
I suspect you are right. Who knows if they really do anything. They make the car legal though which is important.

boots
20th February 2015, 07:22 PM
Before I replaced my original exhaust I gutted the cat and I have a pyro gauge fitted , 4B was more responsive and on average 50 to 70 degrees cooler across the board , one downside was the exhaust fumes were much more noticeable on a still or cold day . I have no regrets buying a beaudesert 2 3/4 inch system with cat . A great product .

Rock Trol
21st February 2015, 11:34 AM
My original cat had also started to disintegrate so it was gutted about 18 months ago. I did not have an EGT gauge but the car ran cooler (digital water temp via scangauge) and it was more responsive down low. Torque started coming on tap about 200rpm lower than before. Also had the middle muffler replaced with a hot dog. Was happy with it and looked standard. Boots, you are right about the exhaust fumes from the motor. Did notice that originally. Now with the new cat I will take note. Hopefully cleaner and healthier.

I only upgraded to 3 inch because I had the ECU remapped so went with a bigger exhaust. Car runs even cooler than before under normal driving conditions. I only had the EGT gauge fitted 3 days ago so have not had a chance to tow yet. For the last couple of months I have been a little hesitant in pushing the motor as I was not sure how hot it would get.

threedogs
21st February 2015, 11:41 AM
My original cat had also started to disintegrate so it was gutted about 18 months ago. I did not have an EGT gauge but the car ran cooler (digital water temp via scangauge) and it was more responsive down low. Torque started coming on tap about 200rpm lower than before. Also had the middle muffler replaced with a hot dog. Was happy with it and looked standard. Boots, you are right about the exhaust fumes from the motor. Did notice that originally. Now with the new cat I will take note. Hopefully cleaner and healthier.

I only upgraded to 3 inch because I had the ECU remapped so went with a bigger exhaust. Car runs even cooler than before under normal driving conditions. I only had the EGT gauge fitted 3 days ago so have not had a chance to tow yet. For the last couple of months I have been a little hesitant in pushing the motor as I was not sure how hot it would get.

So what are your EGTs?? very interested

Rock Trol
21st February 2015, 12:11 PM
Around town the EGT temp sits between 220-300 degrees. After I picked the car up last Wednesday I took it for a drive north of Adelaide on the highway and if I pushed it (under acceleration) I could get it up around 400 degrees for a short time but once the speed was kept steady (100kph) it would drop to around the 350 degree mark. This was with aircon on and a warm day (30+).
Not had a chance to go up a big hill yet or tow. That will happen in the next week or two.

The EGt pyrometer is fitted just after the turbo in the dump pipe.

threedogs
21st February 2015, 03:19 PM
your's is a manual yes,

You can see my bung for the pyro just behind the turbo.

Rock Trol
21st February 2015, 06:08 PM
Yes a 5 speed manual.
I also let the car idle under the carport for a while and the exhaust smell was not as noticeable as before so it looks like the cat is definitely doing something.

the evil twin
21st February 2015, 06:45 PM
Yes a 5 speed manual.
I also let the car idle under the carport for a while and the exhaust smell was not as noticeable as before so it looks like the cat is definitely doing something.

The smell is Nitrogen Oxides.
NOX is a large contributing factor in the haze over cities.
When you have a Cat fitted to the exhaust the Oxides are significantly reduced by the catalyst (Palladium) converting them back to Nitrogen and Oxygen and the 'exhaust smell' a lot less noticeable.

Chad
8th March 2015, 12:45 AM
You'd be hard pressed to find a good fitter that wouldn't fit one as their fines are huge, unless the vehicle is purely off road only.

mudski
8th March 2015, 10:47 PM
Hi everyone.

I know it is a legal requirement to have a catalytic converted on a ZD30 but there are a lot of 3 inch exhaust systems out there without them. The question is, does anyone know of specific cases where someone has run one of these and been picked up by the police?

I run 3inch, no muffler but with a hi flow cat. I have been in a traffic stop twice, in the same spot, different times, by the police and the RTA together. Both times they got under with a heat gun and pointed it at the cat. I asked them on the second time why and they said they can tell if the cat has been gutted from the surface temp. Plus they said my pipe was a bit noisier than a stock Patrol. So they knew what they were doing.
If you thinking about not putting a cat in, first find out how much the fine is if caught without it. Then rethink your decision. Not a lot to gain from not putting a cat in IMHO anyway. Especially on these motors.