PDA

View Full Version : HPD Catch Can

Heavyweight
17th February 2015, 05:39 PM
Wasn't 100% where to post this....

Today I received my HPD Catch Can, very impressive piece of kit (for the price it should be)...First I will say that my dealings with HPD were impressive, having ordered from their online site, I quickly received an email saying that my order was processed and that I would receive my Catch Can within 7 to 10 days, after 10 days it hadn't arrived, a quick phone call to HPD had it shipped over night from Adelaide to Melbourne.

My advice to anyone ordering online would be to make a follow up call within a day or two from ordering (or simply just order and pay online) I prefer using paypal so I shop online.

The kit arrived nicely packaged and with all fittings and instructions needed.

The only issue was the hose from the catch can back to the inlet, the hose supplied is 12.5mm (being water hose) it's way to tight to fit.

I tried to enlarge the inner diameter and also soaked it in hot water but still had difficulty (i'm sure it could probably be done with more patience/effort) luckily I had some hose laying in the shed which was also water hose, but was a little easier to manipulate.

Xtreme
17th February 2015, 06:06 PM
Very tidy looking install job, its next on my list to do

Rumcajs
17th February 2015, 06:13 PM
I hope that you are not using coolant hoses. They will perish pretty soon as you need oil resistant hose unless of course you like to do the same job over and over again.

Regards

Heavyweight
17th February 2015, 06:37 PM
At this stage "yes" using coolant hose, tried to source "breather hose" from Bursons, Repco, Autobarn, but no one stocks it, I will probably replace the hose when I install a second battery as some movement of the catch-can will probably be needed.

thanks

SG1
17th February 2015, 07:23 PM
Nice Heavyweight, also like the HPD products, there pricey but top quality imo, wouldn of minded going the same catch can as well but went another brand, be interested to see how it performs over a period of time and suspect it will do very well.

Heavyweight
17th February 2015, 07:40 PM
Nice Heavyweight, also like the HPD products, there pricey but top quality imo, wouldn of minded going the same catch can as well but went another brand, be interested to see how it performs over a period of time and suspect it will do very well.

I also looked at a number of different "cans" with various price points, the HPD one stood out....I also ran a few ideas by Brett from 4x4 Obsession, he also recommended the HPD one...

I guess in the end the majority of the products will do what they are meant to do, but, the HPD one will look good while it does it....

Every 4x4 needs a little bling...

Beni C
23rd February 2015, 03:24 PM
Clean install, how do you empty it?

mullet_hunter
23rd February 2015, 11:02 PM
mine just arrived so will be fitting up some time this week.. looks like a good bit of gear...

bowerbird
24th February 2015, 08:47 AM
I am going to get a catch can too, my 2010 GU has done 110K , was wondering if I put the can on now would the crap in the inlet eventually flake away or will it stay as is. Has anyone got any easy methods like additives or spray etc to get rid of what is already built up in the inlet tract? sorry its not quite the same thread but it does go hand in hand??

Heavyweight
24th February 2015, 06:15 PM
Clean install, how do you empty it?

The canister is two parts the bottom 2/3 screws off, it also has a dipstick on the top, so you can see if it needs emptying....(it really is a nicely thought out and made item)

michaeljp
24th February 2015, 07:22 PM
Wasn't 100% where to post this....

Today I received my HPD Catch Can, very impressive piece of kit (for the price it should be)...First I will say that my dealings with HPD were impressive, having ordered from their online site, I quickly received an email saying that my order was processed and that I would receive my Catch Can within 7 to 10 days, after 10 days it hadn't arrived, a quick phone call to HPD had it shipped over night from Adelaide to Melbourne.

My advice to anyone ordering online would be to make a follow up call within a day or two from ordering (or simply just order and pay online) I prefer using paypal so I shop online.

The kit arrived nicely packaged and with all fittings and instructions needed.

The only issue was the hose from the catch can back to the inlet, the hose supplied is 12.5mm (being water hose) it's way to tight to fit.

I tried to enlarge the inner diameter and also soaked it in hot water but still had difficulty (i'm sure it could probably be done with more patience/effort) luckily I had some hose laying in the shed which was also water hose, but was a little easier to manipulate.

I ordered one after xmas and received it one or two days later buy courier. Im very happy with it, all the hoses fitted properly. 2012 CRD

mullet_hunter
24th February 2015, 10:51 PM
Finished mine... Awsome bit of kit.. Hoses fitted like a glove...

Beni C
25th February 2015, 01:50 PM
The canister is two parts the bottom 2/3 screws off, it also has a dipstick on the top, so you can see if it needs emptying....(it really is a nicely thought out and made item)

Thanks mate!

Thinking of replacing my Provent with this, heaps neater install with all the bits! I had to make up a bracket for mine and having to reduce the hose sizes is pita!! This looks heaps better!!

Heavyweight
14th March 2015, 03:28 PM

Just a quick update re HPD Catch Can....

Removed it today to have a look, after about 2500km inside was maybe 3ml of oil...

So anyone who hasn't fitted a Catch Can of any type may want to consider doing so...

Take into account that this is from a 2014 ST CRD, which now only has 3500km on it..

threedogs
14th March 2015, 05:04 PM
I'm about to re-plumb my catch can using those AN fittings, one side will be fixed the other
will have dummy hose clamp fittings, Plus I need to put some steel wool in the can as well
All HPD gear is very well made, never heard of one complaint to date

Beni C
16th March 2015, 05:11 PM
Must post up some photos of my Provent re-install! Decided i didnt want to part out another load of dosh for the HPD can, although it does look the business so bought a set of the 1" to 5/8" silicone adaptors, new hoses and made up a nice new bracket for it!

threedogs
16th March 2015, 05:14 PM
Thanks mate!

Thinking of replacing my Provent with this, heaps neater install with all the bits! I had to make up a bracket for mine and having to reduce the hose sizes is pita!! This looks heaps better!!

Some here with the provent use Ford XA heater hose as its flared and fits straight on

ako89
16th March 2015, 11:41 PM
Looks the goods mate

Beni C
18th March 2015, 04:43 PM
Some here with the provent use Ford XA heater hose as its flared and fits straight on

Already re-installed it TD using the nice silicone adapters and 5/8 hose! Worked a treat and looks heaps better! Used heater hose on the last install and it had started to degrade.

magsit
12th June 2015, 11:19 AM
Any chance you could post the install instructions for the HPD up here or PM them?