PDA

View Full Version : Phone Holder on Dash to Take video.

AB
14th March 2011, 09:20 AM
Has anyone got any ideas on a phone mount on the dash so you an take videos over the bonnet when out and about?

I was just thinking some angle with velcro on the phone and angle or possibly two short pieces of extrusion to slide the phone into?

Has anydone done this before by chance?

nowoolies
14th March 2011, 12:06 PM
dick smith store`s have a dash mount for the i phone
that might just do the job i think, maybe, possible, could do. lol

AB
14th March 2011, 01:40 PM
dick smith store`s have a dash mount for the i phone
that might just do the job i think, maybe, possible, could do. lol

No mate I mean a DIY phone holder...lol

I just made this up this morning and it works a treat, no drilling into the dash, just clip in 3M plastic velcro....Doesnt move at all!

I used some angle and stole the remote control holder from the old split system A/C in the house...LMAO....It fits snuggly with no movement...Meant to be!!!

The misses is going to kill me when she finds out Ive taken the remote control holder though!

It looks very professional and is angled perfectly to the centre of the car for video action...lol....Sprayed it up to "almost" matching the interior colour and it looks great...lol

Maxhead
14th March 2011, 02:43 PM

I just made this up this morning and it works a treat, no drilling into the dash, just clip in 3M plastic velcro....Doesnt move at all!

I used some angle and stole the remote control holder from the old split system A/C in the house...LMAO....It fits snuggly with no movement...Meant to be!!!

The misses is going to kill me when she finds out Ive taken the remote control holder though!

It looks very professional and is angled perfectly to the centre of the car for video action...lol....Sprayed it up to "almost" matching the interior colour and it looks great...lol

Haha, good job mate.....what remote control holder?..lol
Would be interested to see what the footage looks like when taken from that ...

AB
14th March 2011, 03:15 PM
Haha, good job mate.....what remote control holder?..lol
Would be interested to see what the footage looks like when taken from that ...

I just took it for a spin on the property but the video was a little shakey becuase the angle iron was slightly moving on bumps so had to reinforce..lol

Works good now, just trying up to upload it to Youtube now...lol

AB
14th March 2011, 03:33 PM
I didn't have the good quality thinggy on and I can't be bothered rotating the video as that takes about an hour but here's the test run on the property....It's pretty steady!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzlhTuub8Co

wildgu6
14th March 2011, 03:50 PM
Andy, Check this one out mate.
Might be a bit more pricey than a phone holder, but the benefits are great.
4gb SD card gives 8hrs recording time at normal quality.. Wide angle view.. Can be used as a survalance camera in the Trol..
Has GPS function that shows vehicle speed & time where vehicle travelled to fight those unwanted speeding fines... & insurance claims.
Can be rotated 360* to get a rear view. And plugs into the cigarrette lighter outlet.
Great little device, have been looking at getting.

http://www.autoblackbox.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=69

wildgu6
14th March 2011, 03:54 PM
I didn't have the good quality thinggy on and I can't be bothered rotating the video as that takes about an hour but here's the test run on the property....It's pretty steady!

Nice little vid Andy, the phone worked pretty damn good, Good work and nice and clear.

Maxhead
14th March 2011, 03:55 PM

Very steady mate...I would have thought it will be a bit more shakey.

Oops there goes another remote holder...lol. see if she notices..

Airstrike
14th March 2011, 03:57 PM
I was going to get something like this Uniden use to sell them I dont know if they still do. But when I was riding motorcycles I always wanted one to show what happen if I met my undoing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Compact-Car-GPS-Dash-Camera-Car-DVR-Car-Black-Box-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem230cb34063QQitemZ15053 6929379QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

AB
14th March 2011, 04:21 PM
Very steady mate...I would have thought it will be a bit more shakey.

Oops there goes another remote holder...lol. see if she notices..

Cheers fellas, I'll check those sites out now. My mate used to sticky tape a video camera to his helmet on his GSXR 1000...LMAO...It worked ok actually.

hey Kris, I have another A/C remote holder in the loungeroom if your keen...lol

nowoolies
14th March 2011, 06:10 PM

bloody littleripper looks like a bought one
should i start a poll for who want one of AB`s phone holders ???????
just another little job for you to do for us apart from running the forum roflmao

Sir Roofy
14th March 2011, 06:49 PM
well done mate excellent stuff tolangi tracks next

Bigrig
14th March 2011, 09:04 PM
I was going to get something like this Uniden use to sell them I dont know if they still do. But when I was riding motorcycles I always wanted one to show what happen if I met my undoing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Compact-Car-GPS-Dash-Camera-Car-DVR-Car-Black-Box-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem230cb34063QQitemZ15053 6929379QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

You reckon the video quality would be ok with only a 1.3 megapixel camera?? Be interested to see the output from one (real video from a real person who I really know).

Clunk
14th March 2011, 11:56 PM
Nice little vid Andy, the phone worked pretty damn good, Good work and nice and clear.

that was suprisingly very steady and clear, nice work Andy

Airstrike
15th March 2011, 12:59 AM
the uniden is a 12 meg pic i think but only example. they are called black box

Bigrig
15th March 2011, 07:58 AM
the uniden is a 12 meg pic i think but only example. they are called black box

Not sure about other brands, but that one on the link was 1.3mp ... 12 would be outstanding video quality ... Me thinks another toy is in the wind for Tank!!!

Airstrike
15th March 2011, 08:30 AM
I will try to find the other used that link to show what the idea was. Mounting it to the window like a sat nav or mounting to the dash. I was recently at an auto sparky and he had one about 5 meg as part of his use of the compoany car it was brilliant. Nothing wrong with the quality. I am thinking about getting one for the wife.

Bigrig
15th March 2011, 08:35 AM
I will try to find the other used that link to show what the idea was. Mounting it to the window like a sat nav or mounting to the dash. I was recently at an auto sparky and he had one about 5 meg as part of his use of the compoany car it was brilliant. Nothing wrong with the quality. I am thinking about getting one for the wife.

Well ... that makes sense as she does do all the serious driving!!! LOL!!!

AB
16th March 2011, 10:21 AM
Well incase anyone plans on doing this make sure the phone holder is mounted horizontal not vertical like I did above....lol

Iphones record in portait mode or landscape mode by holding the phone horizontally or vertically. By having the phone holder holding the phone in portait mode will only record in portrait mode which means you dont have the full widescreen to show the videos on YouTube. The videos will look like the example I gave above.

I have spent hours trying to find an app to lock the video orientation but that doesn't exist so I'll have to rotate the holder to mount the phone in landscape mode.

Another way would be to edit the video, crop it, etc but then you loose quality and basically It's a mission to do it.

Clunk
16th March 2011, 06:39 PM
Well incase anyone plans on doing this make sure the phone holder is mounted horizontal not vertical like I did above....lol

Iphones record in portait mode or landscape mode by holding the phone horizontally or vertically. By having the phone holder holding the phone in portait mode will only record in portrait mode which means you dont have the full widescreen to show the videos on YouTube. The videos will look like the example I gave above.

I have spent hours trying to find an app to lock the video orientation but that doesn't exist so I'll have to rotate the holder to mount the phone in landscape mode.

Another way would be to edit the video, crop it, etc but then you loose quality and basically It's a mission to do it.

well that just plain sucks mate................ see you shouldn't have got an Iphone lol

simongnz
25th March 2011, 02:05 PM
Have a look at www.proclip.com They have holders for nearly everything. A little pricey but you get what you pay for.

The Trout Hunter
25th March 2011, 02:13 PM
Something I have thought of but only now will I act upon getting my driving filmed.. Good thread :)

ghostrider_oz
12th July 2011, 11:27 PM
Sorry been doing a bit of mining whilst looking around the forum,

Imanaged to locate the best camera holder in the market - cost next to nothing (intially get more expensive as the years go on) usually can be relied upon to miss the important shot but get heaps of other stuff,

It's called THE NAV she is currently giving me the evil eye over the expensive shot but there you go.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m287/ghostrider_oz/P1000315.jpg

Sorry not video - just realised the camera uses 100mb for 60sec video

frenzy
12th July 2011, 11:42 PM
Nice one AB. How handy is velcro? I recently velcroed my satnav to my motorbike and it worked a treat!

Considering everything they can do, it's surprising how restrictive these iphones can be.....

AB
13th July 2011, 10:02 AM
Nice one AB. How handy is velcro? I recently velcroed my satnav to my motorbike and it worked a treat!

Considering everything they can do, it's surprising how restrictive these iphones can be.....

I ended up breaking that holder one night trying to put the phone in...lol

nowoolies
13th July 2011, 10:12 AM
I ended up breaking that holder one night trying to put the phone in...lol

so now you gotta sneek the next remote holder out

bad dog chewed the remote holder dear hahahahaah