PDA

View Full Version : LED Light bars now legal in roof racks and 1 or 3 bars installed

ocbgavin
16th February 2015, 07:27 PM
Found this very interesting on the Vic Roads website.

A few months ago this wasn't possible to installed 1 40" on the roof.

Gav

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety-and-road-rules/vehicle-safety/fog-and-driving-lights

ocbgavin
16th February 2015, 07:30 PM
Mind you this is for VIC, unsure about other states

mudski
18th February 2015, 09:35 AM
Yeah there was a discussion about this not long ago. Can't seem to find the thread.... Someone posted up a screenshot of a Twitter conversion they had with Vic roads just clarifying this, as it seemed a bit "iffy" on if it was legal or not. Vic Roads said it was legal. I printed off that screen shot and keep it in my car. As I heard a report of the highway police in the Mansfield area defecting guys for the lightbars on the roof. Dunno if it was true but I know those boys in blue, and gals, are pretty tough and very strict up there.

Edit : Another MillParkistani here. Great! I'm not the only one. Lol.

Rock Trol
18th February 2015, 08:50 PM
In SA they also changed the law in regards to light bars. Until recently you had to have pairs of lights but now can have a single light bar. As far as having them on the roof, its ok as long as they are for off road only and not connected to the main light switch. A friend just had one put on by TJM and they wired it up with a separate switch.

mudski
18th February 2015, 08:57 PM
In SA they also changed the law in regards to light bars. Until recently you had to have pairs of lights but now can have a single light bar. As far as having them on the roof, its ok as long as they are for off road only and not connected to the main light switch. A friend just had one put on by TJM and they wired it up with a separate switch.

Thats odd. You are NOT allowed in VIC to have it wired separately. It has to be wired on its own switch but in conjunction with your high beams, so that the bar can only come on when the high beams are on, but can be turned off independently.