PDA

View Full Version : 15,000KMs on rebuilt motor full NADS and still goes bang :(

ozjeff
16th February 2015, 05:38 PM
Well it doesn't appear to well, but my Patrol lost all power, vibrated like unbalanced washing machine and a big cloud of white smoke out the back.

Don't know why yet, the Trol is at the mechanics and compression test in a day or 2, but what i don't get is it's a rebuilt ZD30 motor from Nissan with only 15,000 KMs since being installed (though that was 2 years ago - so out of warranty). It had the full NADS treatment as soon as the motor went in, so it wasn't a case of adding it later when potential damage may have already occurred.

At the time EGT was 400 deg C.

Didn't catch the boost, as it was 0 as soon as I looked, but was set at 14PSI and has never exceeded that.

Was only serviced 2,000 KMs ago and oil and what not was nice and clean.

Only thing I did notice was a a leak of radiator fluid towards the front bottom of the block, thought maybe the water pump as it's the only thing near there, but didn't appear to be.

ECUTalk showed ICV at 3% but later showed 50% and fuel temp at 68 deg C. Coolant was showing 99 deg C as well (sure I set an alarm for 95!)

Sure hoping the pin hasn't pulled, especially given the 15,000 K's on it.

:(

mullet_hunter
16th February 2015, 05:50 PM
spewing mate...

threedogs
16th February 2015, 05:54 PM
Very weird, were you cruising at the time, what level is your oil they will not tolerate higher than normal levels
Your ICV% is very low, mine is sits on 75-80, Hope the damage isnt too bad
I'd still have a word with who ever built,

ozjeff
16th February 2015, 06:48 PM
Very weird, were you cruising at the time, what level is your oil they will not tolerate higher than normal levels
Your ICV% is very low, mine is sits on 75-80, Hope the damage isnt too bad
I'd still have a word with who ever built,

Yeah just general driving on the bitumen on the day. Day before was a little bush bashing (mostly in 2WD) and some steep inclines, but nothing much at all.

Oil level was good.

Yeah my ICV usually sits between 50-60%

Hodge
16th February 2015, 08:07 PM
Not good mate. I hope the result is something, easy and cheap to fix, but considering the symptoms, unlikely.
This is a third 3L I've seen (read ) about this week pulling the pin (assumed yours has).
Patrol was parked across the road from my work for 2 days, and on saturday when the truck arrived I wondered over and asked whats happened. Towie didn't know as he was just picking it up, but there was oil pissing out from the top of the motor, all over the ground. It was a CRD with about 35k on the clock, stock as rock. And mid last week, another guy at work just about starved his motor off oil, due to the pickup pump falling off on the inside? He caught his early though so, it was a save...

Just curious what is ICV? I don't think I've seen it on my ScanGauge as an option / gauge?

ozjeff
16th February 2015, 09:07 PM
Just curious what is ICV? I don't think I've seen it on my ScanGauge as an option / gauge?

Hoping it's something easy and cheap too, especially as I was made redundant 2 weeks ago - so hate to eat in to life savings when there's no income coming in:( - had a 2nd bad thing happen (close friend past away a few days later) so taking it this is the bad #3. Can only get better from now on ..... i friggin hope :)

ICV is Injection pump timing Control Valve.

Rock Trol
16th February 2015, 09:26 PM
When you say rebuilt motor from Nissan do you mean crate motor or did the dealership rebuild your motor?

Another possibility is that the injection pump might have gone. Happened to a friends Series III. Everyone thought it had pulled the pin, including the towie but it was the IP. It was blowing smoke and running on a couple of cylinders etc. Still cost him $6500 to get the bugger fixed.

Hodge, you know the year of the Patrol which lost it's oil pump?

Hodge
17th February 2015, 05:54 AM
Hoping it's something easy and cheap too, especially as I was made redundant 2 weeks ago - so hate to eat in to life savings when there's no income coming in:( - had a 2nd bad thing happen (close friend past away a few days later) so taking it this is the bad #3. Can only get better from now on ..... i friggin hope :)

ICV is Injection pump timing Control Valve.

Thanks for the answer mate. And that is a bad bunch of luck as of late for ya. Things can only look up from here ey? Fingers crossed.

When you say rebuilt motor from Nissan do you mean crate motor or did the dealership rebuild your motor?

Another possibility is that the injection pump might have gone. Happened to a friends Series III. Everyone thought it had pulled the pin, including the towie but it was the IP. It was blowing smoke and running on a couple of cylinders etc. Still cost him $6500 to get the bugger fixed.

It is a 2005 Di mate. Began running rough, and had low oil pressure but dip stick was showing oil, and it looked thicker on the stick because it wasn't being circulated.
But they supposedly took the sump plug off, and sent through a keyhole LED camera and seen the fairly loose pick-up pump... And I didn't know this was possible? Technology ey....
It getting fixed, sump off, gear-box off, and he'll get the timing cover re-sealed for the second time. A lot off $$$.

rusty_nail
17th February 2015, 07:22 AM
sorry to hear you bad luck mate, i hope it works out to be something that wasnt too bad and doesnt cost you a ship load of $$ to fix it up.

as with rock trolls question, when you rebuild the motor what did you do? did you do the injector pump? im getting my car done at the moment, which grenaded and my mechanic believes that the motor goes due to the dicky injector pump nissan put into them. ive scored the bore in #3 and melted that piston. hes going to replace all the pistons with oversized high temp pistons (i think that means they are ceramic coated but dont quote me on it lol), oversize the cylinders, change/reco the head and refurb the injector pump with denco and he believes that will stop the problem.

we did sit down an go over the options and after he talked it out with me it really sounded like the most promising solution.

good luck with the motor mate, ill be keeping an eye on your thread to see how your going.

threedogs
17th February 2015, 09:52 AM
Well it doesn't appear to well, but my Patrol lost all power, vibrated like unbalanced washing machine and a big cloud of white smoke out the back.

Don't know why yet, the Trol is at the mechanics and compression test in a day or 2, but what i don't get is it's a rebuilt ZD30 motor from Nissan with only 15,000 KMs since being installed (though that was 2 years ago - so out of warranty). It had the full NADS treatment as soon as the motor went in, so it wasn't a case of adding it later when potential damage may have already occurred.

At the time EGT was 400 deg C.

Didn't catch the boost, as it was 0 as soon as I looked, but was set at 14PSI and has never exceeded that.

Was only serviced 2,000 KMs ago and oil and what not was nice and clean.

Only thing I did notice was a a leak of radiator fluid towards the front bottom of the block, thought maybe the water pump as it's the only thing near there, but didn't appear to be.

ECUTalk showed ICV at 3% but later showed 50% and fuel temp at 68 deg C. Coolant was showing 99 deg C as well (sure I set an alarm for 95!)

Sure hoping the pin hasn't pulled, especially given the 15,000 K's on it.

:(

Whats the fan off on your Ecu-Talk I think mine has boost there???
Motor is off so disregard readings

ozjeff
17th February 2015, 10:47 AM

Believe it was crate motor. It was the previous owner who had it done, but I have a yellow pages thick folder with all receipts/work performed from day 1. It definitely wasn't the same motor that was rebuilt.

Was replaced at 148,000KMs, now done 162,000KMs and all the fun paperwork as it was NSW and now in QLD and the replaced engine number caused a few registration issues.

With the ICV showing 3% I was thinking Injector Pump.

ozjeff
17th February 2015, 10:48 AM
Whats the fan off on your Ecu-Talk I think mine has boost there???
Motor is off so disregard readings

It's a GUII so it doesn't show boost, instead it's the AC compressor being on/off. Really handy info that one LOL.

mudski
17th February 2015, 01:53 PM
Lets see what the compression test results are. Got my fingers crossed for ya mate. No one ever likes reading these stories, especially after a new donk has been put in not that long ago...

ozjeff
17th February 2015, 05:25 PM
Well surprise surprise - cylinder #3 no compression. Anyone got any tissues ?? - think I need to go and cry.

Soooo risk it with another ZD30 donk, or can you do TD42 with an Auto?? (only seen manual trans. conversions).

the evil twin
17th February 2015, 07:10 PM
Well surprise surprise - cylinder #3 no compression. Anyone got any tissues ?? - think I need to go and cry.

That is a real bummer dude... esp after only doing 14,000 K's.:jawdrop:

FWIW I would be a tad wary of another ZD30.
Mainly because even if it lasts 250,000 K's you are going to spend every one of them K's waiting for it to go bang.

SG1
17th February 2015, 07:37 PM
What terrible luck, owning a ZD30 is doing my head in some days, love the patrol but the stress of not knowing when and where.. Really hope some good fortune comes your way soon.

Hodge
17th February 2015, 08:28 PM
What a shame mate. I feel for ya. I die a little on the inside everytime I see a zd30 thread like this.

Woof
17th February 2015, 10:04 PM
Feel for you mate

mudski
17th February 2015, 10:19 PM
Jesus! I really need to get my rrsss into gear and start this TD build.

Rock Trol
17th February 2015, 11:09 PM
Keep in mind that if you have a CRD Patrol it would not be legal to change it to a TD42. I guess no one would know unless you are changing states and they do an inspection.

Do you have any idea why it went? Faulty injector? Maybe oil pressure issues? It's just crazy to think that a near new motor just melts a piston like that when its not really under load. Especially if it has manual control of boost (no boost drops) and egr block so no soot clogging intake. There has to be something else to this story but not being the original owner it's going to be hard to figure it out.

ozjeff
18th February 2015, 09:10 AM
Keep in mind that if you have a CRD Patrol it would not be legal to change it to a TD42. I guess no one would know unless you are changing states and they do an inspection.

Do you have any idea why it went? Faulty injector? Maybe oil pressure issues? It's just crazy to think that a near new motor just melts a piston like that when its not really under load. Especially if it has manual control of boost (no boost drops) and egr block so no soot clogging intake. There has to be something else to this story but not being the original owner it's going to be hard to figure it out.

Nah it's GUII so TD42 would be fine.

I don't know yet what caused it, will try and get them to investigate but without spending too much time. Still very surprised given the full NADS setup in place. I did look back through the folder of info and discovered that 700KM after the engine was install by Nissan that there was "Found oil leak front of motor, replaced missing bolt in vacuum pump" so not sure if that had already caused an issue. Seems the apprentice at Nissan forgot to put a bolt in!

I saw the car yesterday, opened the catch-can and it was full of black oil. Tad different than the colour a week before of clean honey.

rusty_nail
18th February 2015, 09:13 AM
I saw the car yesterday, opened the catch-can and it was full of black oil. Tad different than the colour a week before of clean honey.

but i think thats the colour diesel is supposed to be right? not honey? i think it was nissannewby that said there is a detergent in the oil which makes it turn that black colour pretty quickly and the colour is no sign of the condition of the oil

threedogs
18th February 2015, 09:18 AM
Some CRD are being converted to 4.2s dont know how .
maybe up to 09 not 100% on that

Have you fronted Nissan Yet??

happygu
18th February 2015, 10:52 AM
Even in the height of 'Grenade Mania'', I don't think I have heard of any motors going pop in 14,000 Klms ... most people were getting around 80,000 - 100,000 Klms, and then issues were surfacing .....

This sounds like there is something else at play - be very interesting for you to find out ....

threedogs
18th February 2015, 01:50 PM
It's a GUII so it doesn't show boost, instead it's the AC compressor being on/off. Really handy info that one LOL.

What do you mean by "its a GU11 so it doesnt show boost?????
decisions decisions 4.2 diesel and auto No idea how they go but think would use a bit of fuel [IMO]

the evil twin
18th February 2015, 02:47 PM
decisions decisions 4.2 diesel and auto No idea how they go but think would use a bit of fuel [IMO]

The GQ TD42 Auto's go absolutely gangbusters.
I don't know why Nissan stopped importing them.
A GU TD42T with the Auto would have been a cracking vehicle.

ozjeff
18th February 2015, 07:40 PM

From Peter @ Ecutalk "It depends on the ECU regarding boost - only GU4 and some GU3 have it I believe - fan is shown if boost isnt available." Hence mine shows Fan On/Off instead.

Glad it's got long range main and sub tanks then ! - but yeah waiting on price to determine which way to go :(

And yes, will be trying to find out what caused it, as that's rather an insanely short life.

Rock Trol
18th February 2015, 08:37 PM
Nah it's GUII so TD42 would be fine.

I don't know yet what caused it, will try and get them to investigate but without spending too much time. Still very surprised given the full NADS setup in place. I did look back through the folder of info and discovered that 700KM after the engine was install by Nissan that there was "Found oil leak front of motor, replaced missing bolt in vacuum pump" so not sure if that had already caused an issue. Seems the apprentice at Nissan forgot to put a bolt in!

Me bad.
I did not pay attention to the model (even though you wrote down GUII twice) and only saw the km's which are similar to mine and just assumed similar age.

ben ren
18th February 2015, 09:29 PM
Were new injectors used with the rebuild?

Rumcajs
18th February 2015, 10:34 PM

I think you're hitting the nail on that one but Nissan crate motor does come with injectors I believe minus the pump.

Burning a hole in the piston is usually caused by overfuelling.

Early Di ECUs don't output boost reading on ECUTalk units. Its from series 4 onwards till CrD.

Regards

ben ren
19th February 2015, 07:25 AM
Over fuelling or dodgy spray pattern,maybe injector tip has been impacted by something or has partially blocked tip.
Could be possible contamination entered the fuel line post filter during engine install affecting spray,or even a poorly aligned piston cooling nozzle.
I have a 2004 GU 3 and Ecu talk outputs boost.

ozjeff
19th February 2015, 11:04 AM

Wish I knew.

Attached is all that I have about it. My bad, motor was 147K not 148K.

Removed the personal info.

After that at 147728 KM (when the guy was selling it) was the Oil leak found at front of motor, replaced missing bolts in vacuum pump.

Rumcajs
19th February 2015, 05:42 PM
Nissan crate motor is not listed on invoices as recon engine without part numbers and it comes with new injectors and glow plugs.

Stealership had got local engine recon mob fix and replaced/changed over blown motor waiting for another sucker....or they recon it themselves as nice money making scheme at the expense of those who got replacement crate engine from Nissan and left the grenaded unit in the hands of dealership to do as they please!

Well familiar with such scam.

Check/post the serial numbers on the engine block (if lower than e.g. someones from 05 model, it is early unit.)

Regards

paulyg
19th February 2015, 07:18 PM
I have heard of replacement motors blowing up not long after being installed,
I think it may have been from cutting corners by reusing the injectors and injector pump with out rebuilding it.

Rock Trol
19th February 2015, 08:50 PM
Nissan crate motor is not listed on invoices as recon engine without part numbers and it comes with new injectors and glow plugs.

Stealership had got local engine recon mob fix and replaced/changed over blown motor waiting for another sucker....or they recon it themselves as nice money making scheme at the expense of those who got replacement crate engine from Nissan and left the grenaded unit in the hands of dealership to do as they please!

Well familiar with such scam.

Check/post the serial numbers on the engine block (if lower than e.g. someones from 05 model, it is early unit.)

Regards

I think you are spot on Rumcajs. It makes sense now why they sold it straight after the rebuild. It was a dodgy rebuild (but still expensive) just so they could get rid of it. Mind you, at $10k they would want to have sold it for a good price to make it worth while.

ben ren
21st February 2015, 09:01 PM
Pretty ordinary,now I hate dealers even more

happygu
21st February 2015, 09:41 PM
Pretty ordinary,now I hate dealers even more

it is not just dealers ...... i have seen many people that find that something is majorly wrong, so they trade their car in on a newer one

Majestic
22nd February 2015, 06:01 PM
Damn I am so sorry to hear that, I would be devastated if that had happened to me.

I would go with a TD42, damn good engines and it would take the worry of waiting for another 3.0L to go bang.

but i think thats the colour diesel is supposed to be right? not honey? i think it was nissannewby that said there is a detergent in the oil which makes it turn that black colour pretty quickly and the colour is no sign of the condition of the oil

I used to stress about my TD42 GQ having black oil. However the brother in law said it goes black after a day or so, he's grown up with cars and could be a mechanic if he had that little piece of paper called a trade certificate.

it is not just dealers ...... i have seen many people that find that something is majorly wrong, so they trade their car in on a newer one

I hate those types.

ozjeff
24th February 2015, 12:01 PM
Ok so I have been calling around/googling and what not.

So it would appear to go a reconditioned motor, new injectors,recon'd injector pump I'm up around $10K with install.

For pretty similar - about $1K more - I can go a brand new ZD30 motor, recon'd injector pump etc.

Have managed to find a tow-in/drive out with TD42 conversion for $11K

OR another option. A Ford FG Falcon 6 speed auto conversion for $13.5K - 192hp and similar/less fuel usage than a ZD30.

Decisions decisions.....

threedogs
24th February 2015, 12:24 PM
Would you think doing the 4.2 conversion will give you better resale value down the track.
It might double your worth now

Majestic
24th February 2015, 12:37 PM

So it would appear to go a reconditioned motor, new injectors,recon'd injector pump I'm up around $10K with install.

For pretty similar - about $1K more - I can go a brand new ZD30 motor, recon'd injector pump etc.

OR another option. A Ford FG Falcon 6 speed auto conversion for $13.5K - 192hp and similar/less fuel usage than a ZD30.

Decisions decisions.....

Considering the costs involved with all your options, I would find it hard to pass up the TD42. Sounds like the best option considering the price. Plus as TD said it would give you better resale if you ever decide to change vehicles.

the evil twin
24th February 2015, 01:07 PM

Decisions decisions.....

If that is a crate TD42 and not a reco then that is very attractive price but I suspect it is a reco.
If it is a reco then the next best choice IMHO is the FG option

threedogs
24th February 2015, 01:13 PM
Huge opportunity for anyone with access to 4.2 crate motors.
Are they available at all ??

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Patrol-Y61-GU-TD42T-Brand-New-Crate-Engine-/161495842585

They say only good to a 2002 model no idea why

the evil twin
24th February 2015, 04:26 PM
snip...

Because from 2003 the ZD30's stopped exploding?

(I know, I know, but I had to say it)

ozjeff
24th February 2015, 05:39 PM

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nissan-Patrol-Y61-GU-TD42T-Brand-New-Crate-Engine-/161495842585

Looked at those, but then add all the bolt-ons, wiring harness etc.... So more suited to already TD42 owners.

ZD30 owners only wished they stopped going bang in 2003 :furious:

Yeah thinking TD42 or FG option (got to admit it's nice that you can fit your arms in the bay again with the FG option).

As someone said before you may get 295,000km but still you'll be wondering when it'll go bang.