PDA

View Full Version : What parts do I need to replace cooling system and flushing.

Xtreme
16th February 2015, 07:22 AM
I recently had the transmission fluid leak into my cooling system (and also the coolant into the transmission) and turn it all to yoghurt. To help with the costs of the repairs I am going to flush everything and replace the cooling system myself. Can anyone help out with a complete list of parts that I need to replace on the cooling system. So far I will get:

1. New radiator
2. Cooling system hose kit.
3. Heater Hoses (seem to be in addition to the cooling hose kit)
4. New overflow bottle
5. I am going to get an external oil cooler and not run the transmission through the radiator so this does not happen again.

Questions:

1. Do I need a new thermostat?
2. Is there another little cooler located under the dash somewhere? what is this called? will I need to replace it?
3. Can I disconnect the transmission from the radiator (and plug it) to flush out the cooling system so that I do not run water through the transmission? I will be getting a reconditioned box to put it but was going to do that after I had flushed and replaced the cooling system - is this a good way to do it?

Thanks.

Stropp
16th February 2015, 11:33 AM
mate if it was me i would get a manual transmission radiator and a separate cooler for the auto trans as you said, dont worry about the heater core under the dash unless you have had it on and service the auto trans as you dont want to risk water in there.

Xtreme
16th February 2015, 03:28 PM
Yeh definitely running external cooler - was thinking on one of the sides below the lights - will make a small scoop to direct air up towards it, still protected by the bullbar and means nothing else in front of the radiator to block air flow. Got a price of $2500 to drop the box, full rebuild and re install so that is not to bad I think and I will do the cooling system myself.

I thought the heater core under the dash would be full of trans fluid as well so would rather replace it as I am replacing everything else anyway.

happygu
16th February 2015, 03:41 PM
Yeh definitely running external cooler - was thinking on one of the sides below the lights - will make a small scoop to direct air up towards it, still protected by the bullbar and means nothing else in front of the radiator to block air flow. Got a price of $2500 to drop the box, full rebuild and re install so that is not to bad I think and I will do the cooling system myself.

I thought the heater core under the dash would be full of trans fluid as well so would rather replace it as I am replacing everything else anyway.

The heater core is a massive job, so I would try flushing the heater core, with the heater turned on fully to open up the heater valve, and let the water flush though thoroughly. If you do this for 10 minutes or so both ways though the inlet and outlet, it will disperse the majority of the coagulated crap you have in the system

I wouldn't think that AT Fluid ( which is basically an Oil with Corrosion Inhibitors ), will harm the core itself, as it is all copper....

Xtreme
16th February 2015, 08:13 PM
Ok thanks for the advise I will try the flush anyway but I should still replace the heater hoses?

happygu
16th February 2015, 08:49 PM
I guess I would as they are getting old now anyway

happygu
16th February 2015, 08:54 PM
I should add that I havent done the heater core in a Patrol, but have in a Commodore, and the reason it is a massive job is it is the first thing installed under the dash, meaning you have to pull the whole dash out to get to it ... for the Commodore I was going to be charged around $1000 - so I did it myself and it was ok to do, but took me more than one day

megatexture
16th February 2015, 09:38 PM
The zd30 crd has seperate trans cooler/radiator and the trans is in front of the radiator I also have a second trans cooler next to the factory one also in front the radiator with no over heating issues so don't bother trying not to block the radiator

Xtreme
17th February 2015, 11:06 AM
I did not have a very detailed look, I will have to put the winch back on and see what the mounting options are, I thought to the side is ok as far as protection is concerned and getting enough airflow, Ill put up some pics if I decide to go that route.