PDA

View Full Version : Hey all.. From the Sunshine Coast

RanGU
15th February 2015, 07:14 PM
Hey everyone I'm Troy from the Sunshine Coast in qld..

Yesterday I bought my first 4x4 and I pick her up on Tuesday after she has some extras added!!

I bought a 2003 3.0L GU ST Manual wagon
210***kms
Pretty well stock apart from a new TJM bullbar with what seem to be factory nissan spots on the bullbar..
Tomorrow they dealership is fitting elec rust protection and new window tint..

My main use for the GU will be beach camping trips and some mild tracks here and there..
First list of mods:
2in lift
Snorkel
Maybe 33's?
Rooftop tent
Winch
Fridge
Lighting
Recovery equipment
Just to get started and ready to tackle a few things..

Anyway looking forward to seeing how others build their trucks and happy to hear any tips and tricks!!

growler2058
15th February 2015, 07:34 PM
G'day mate welcome aboard

4bye4
15th February 2015, 07:37 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

hsinlee
15th February 2015, 09:25 PM
Welcome to the forum, nice car and i believe sunshine coast is a nice place for 4x4.

RanGU
15th February 2015, 09:57 PM
Thanks everyone and yeh the Sunshine Coast is nice for beaching and there are some tracks around too.. I'd say Fraser Island and double island point will be seen quite a bit..

MEGOMONSTER
16th February 2015, 05:12 AM
Welcome mate, surely the best forum on the net. If you need it, you can get it, if you want to know it, just ask it.
If you want to find it, go to the search bar for a universe of information.
Enjoy the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth.

AB
16th February 2015, 06:41 AM
Welcome to the forum mate, feel free to ask any questions.

Dhuck
16th February 2015, 07:12 AM
Welcome to the forum mate.

Stropp
16th February 2015, 11:51 AM
welcome to the forum mate, nice clean looking rig and good luck with the mods.

threedogs
16th February 2015, 02:52 PM
Hi mate and welcome to the forum,,,, a set of 285s will fit fine.
Nice clean rig you have there as well look forward to your build
heaps of info here thats for sure, ,,,,looks like mine a bit

04 mags too

RanGU
17th February 2015, 08:09 AM
Thanks guys yeh she is a pretty clean truck.. A few things I want to do to clean it up so it's to my standards but I'm happy.. Should be getting a call this morning to pick her up this afternoon pretty bloody excited to be honest!!

Yeh I think I'm going to do a 2in lift and then a set of 33 muds..

What is everyone's tyre brand and size preference?

Squalo
19th February 2015, 08:51 PM
Tyre brand and size, LOL :)

There simply is no correct or consensus answer to that. Do some searches and you'll find what you need, what I will say is that most of the offroad tyre development dollars in the last ten years have gone into mud terrain tyres, which now leave all terrain tyres for dead on tarmac - I wouldn't even consider all terrains if you plan to go offroad every other weekend.

There's a new generation of all terrains starting to come through which will redress that, of course.

285/75R16 is the best size for a GU on 16" rims in my opinion (and drop to a 70 series for a 17" rim).

The biggest question is "white letters in or out", LOL

Welcome to the forum.

mudski
19th February 2015, 09:54 PM
White letters out of course!

RanGU
19th February 2015, 10:27 PM
Tyre brand and size, LOL :)

There simply is no correct or consensus answer to that. Do some searches and you'll find what you need, what I will say is that most of the offroad tyre development dollars in the last ten years have gone into mud terrain tyres, which now leave all terrain tyres for dead on tarmac - I wouldn't even consider all terrains if you plan to go offroad every other weekend.

There's a new generation of all terrains starting to come through which will redress that, of course.

285/75R16 is the best size for a GU on 16" rims in my opinion (and drop to a 70 series for a 17" rim).

The biggest question is "white letters in or out", LOL

Welcome to the forum.

haha yeh I know there is never a correct answer just wondered peoples preference to get some ideas.. Its like my other toy has Kumho KU36 semi slicks on it and some prefer potenzas..
I was thinking of having a look at getting some second hand tyres to start with just to try some out to find my preference..

that is the size that the majority have said to look at.. keeping it legal too..

haha what is the go with that I think I would prefer the white letter in!!

and cheers for the reply and welcoming

Breddo
20th February 2015, 08:23 AM
Good luck with the new truck and mods range !

Majestic
20th February 2015, 09:05 AM
Welcome onboard mate, glad to have you here. :D

haha yeh I know there is never a correct answer just wondered peoples preference to get some ideas.. Its like my other toy has Kumho KU36 semi slicks on it and some prefer potenzas..
I was thinking of having a look at getting some second hand tyres to start with just to try some out to find my preference..

that is the size that the majority have said to look at.. keeping it legal too..

haha what is the go with that I think I would prefer the white letter in!!

and cheers for the reply and welcoming

I recently went to 33" and I haven't looked back. I would highly recommend 33" inch tyres. I went the A/T type as I don't 4WD as much as I like and I do a lot of highway driving, if country roads with massive pot holes at 100KM/H can be considered highway. lol

Sherro
20th February 2015, 07:15 PM
G'day Troy welcome to the forum mate.