PDA

View Full Version : Engine Bay smell in cab...

SU27Flanker
15th February 2015, 12:00 PM
Has anyone come across this before?

Transmission boots are in good condition with no visible signs of cuts or perishing. However I've noted lately that when I switch the a/c for recirc to fresh and vide versa an engine bay smell comes into the cab; its only faint and have noticed this has started to happen starting about 6 months ago.

2001 GU ST Cab Chassis.

mudski
15th February 2015, 12:13 PM
Does it only happen when the a/c is switched on? Not when you just have the fan on...

4bye4
15th February 2015, 12:14 PM
What sort of engine bay small mate. Is it coolant?

SU27Flanker
15th February 2015, 12:43 PM
Mudski, it happens with both a/c on or fan only...

4bye4, It's not coolant, but the actually smell of the engine bay.

She's has always been meticulously maintained.

Parksy
15th February 2015, 02:24 PM
The air comes from the vents just behind the bonnet/directly in front of the windscreen. Has there been oil spilled into it or is there any parts missing that's opened it up to the engine bay? Rear bonnet seal?

JME_GU
15th February 2015, 07:24 PM
I've never had this in a patrol, but I have had it in another car. The problem was the rubber pipe that comes from the tappet cover to the inlet manifold, the pipe had split and was venting fumes which were sucked in by the vents at the bottom of the front windscreen.

SU27Flanker
15th February 2015, 08:25 PM
Parksy, She's just had a wash, I checked out the rear bonnet seal and did note that it was looking a little compressed and the rubber felt a bit on the hard side; I'll change this rear seal out and post the result.

JME_GU, Check the hoses and all good.