PDA

View Full Version : 2000 ZD30 automatic gearbox problem possibly new one needed

Xtreme
15th February 2015, 07:08 AM
Hi all,

Recently had a major disaster with the coolant flowing into the transmission and the trans oil going into the cooling system. I have been advised that with the coolant going into the tranny the adhesives in the clutch plates is attacked and it will require a full rebuild - also I need a new radiator, replace all hoses, the small cooler up under the dash and all the rest of it, a very expensive exercise!

Does this sound right to others in the know? I am going to do a motor flush myself over the course of a week, I was going to do a tranny flush but if I am going to have to get a new gearbox Id rather save the money on oil for flushing and put that towards the new box.

If this is all correct and anyone has an auto box for sale please let me know.

Located Mount Pritchard NSW 2170.

jff45
15th February 2015, 09:49 AM
Once the trans is out it's not a real big job to replace frictions and they're not expensive. Obviously, if the trans has high mileage it would be silly to do only frictions but a set of seals is also pretty cheap.

BillsGU
15th February 2015, 09:50 AM
Bugger. I also have a ZD30 auto and a few years ago I noticed that a lot of them were getting this problem at around the 10 year mark and up. Thats the main reason I replaced my radiator with an after market one.

You obviously need a new radiator and you will need the box stripped and repaired. I am not sure how much they need to strip out of it and what needs to be replaced - but it won't be cheap. Never heard about replacing the heater core and hoses - I suppose it depends on what condition they are in. Hose replacement is not a big deal or a large expense in the scheme of things.

Xtreme
16th February 2015, 09:33 AM
I got quoted $2800 exchange for a tow in / drive out replacement transmission which I think is not too bad. I priced a complete rebuild kit for the transmission at $895 including all friction plates but I just wondered if stuff would have started rusting in there by now (its been a week sitting there since overheating and still full of coolant contamination because the Mech I got it towed too ended up not wanting to do the job. So I did not know whether to spend the money on oil and flush it out and rebuild it (which makes no sense if I need to replace other parts) or just go with a fresh reconditioned box.

Priced replacement hose kit at $150, radiator anywhere from $200-$500 for an alloy one, but I am going to run an external oil cooler and block off the radiator so this does not happen again.

Bill what was your aftermarket radiator worth? did you still run the trans cooler through there?

happygu
16th February 2015, 10:08 AM
I got quoted $2800 exchange for a tow in / drive out replacement transmission which I think is not too bad. I priced a complete rebuild kit for the transmission at $895 including all friction plates but I just wondered if stuff would have started rusting in there by now (its been a week sitting there since overheating and still full of coolant contamination because the Mech I got it towed too ended up not wanting to do the job. So I did not know whether to spend the money on oil and flush it out and rebuild it (which makes no sense if I need to replace other parts) or just go with a fresh reconditioned box.

Priced replacement hose kit at $150, radiator anywhere from $200-$500 for an alloy one, but I am going to run an external oil cooler and block off the radiator so this does not happen again.

Bill what was your aftermarket radiator worth? did you still run the trans cooler through there?

Price sounds very reasonable to me, as it isn't a small job doing the auto changeover .... I would think it would take them the day to do it ....

External cooler is definitely the way to prevent this happening again - although at a lifespan of 14 - 15 years of reliable operation with the factory setup, will the vehicle itself last another 14 - 15, and will you still have it in that time....

BillsGU
16th February 2015, 10:23 AM

I replaced it with a heavy duty aluminium and it was around the $450 mark from memory (this was a few years ago). The GU auto already comes with an external cooler as well as the one in the bottom of the radiator. As I tow a large off road caravan I have the radiator connected as well. As happygu said, if it lasts another 15 years it won't be my problem next time. Just make sure the coolant is replaced regularly and it should be OK for a long time.

jff45
16th February 2015, 10:24 AM
Almost sounds too cheap. Is it a rebuilt trans and torque convertor?

The ZD30 already has a good sized trans cooler. Roughly twice the size of the standard TB45E cooler.
The cooler lines going through the radiator aren't for cooling, they're for warming the trans oil a little quicker.

Xtreme
16th February 2015, 03:31 PM
Yes its for a full rebuild including the torque converter - its through a friend he did a little better made it 2500 for me as a favour. Just seems for the cost of $180 bucks for a external cooler saves another 3500 worth of work if it ever happens again. Will I have the car in 10 years? maybe who knows its more a peace of mind kind of thing.