PDA

View Full Version : k&n air filters

fat pete
13th February 2015, 12:53 AM
so im up for a service on my old gq which takes the 3ltr gu air filter as the airbox has been modified..anyway i seen a add for the k&n reusable air filter and am wondering if they are a worthwhile investment as apparently you also need to buy their filter cleaner and their filter oil?or i can go down to sprints and get a paper filter for 16dollars...what do you all think about these reusable filters..they also claim more power and god knows i can sure use every last drop of power i can get out of the old girl..thanks fellas

MEGOMONSTER
13th February 2015, 04:48 AM
There is plenty of info on the filters, but I carry two K&N filters.
Not only do I change the filter every service but after every dusty adventure.

my third 256
13th February 2015, 06:27 AM
the spray on oil is better than the soak in oil and is coloured so you can see where you have sprayed

Winnie
13th February 2015, 06:33 AM
They flow better than a paper filter. More air is definitely a good thing. They also filter the air better than a paper filter, which means cleaner air, but you also do generally need to clean them more often than you would replace a paper filter.
But you can't just tap the dust out of them like with a paper filter.

threedogs
13th February 2015, 09:54 AM
Just bought one after all your praises of it Winnie should have got one ages ago,
I take it Super Cheap sell the spray etc

Clunk
13th February 2015, 09:56 AM
Just bought one after all your praises of it Winnie should have got one ages ago,

Yep, or repco or probably any there auto shop......

mudski
13th February 2015, 12:00 PM

Get another one John. Like Mick, I have two, so when you need to change it you just swap over and then clean the old one ready for next time. I just get the spray on oil from ebay. Their cleaner is just Chemtech degreaser.

liftlid
13th February 2015, 12:26 PM
Don't buy a second one just keep your original filter and pop it in when cleaning and drying your K&N

threedogs
13th February 2015, 12:49 PM
Don't buy a second one just keep your original filter and pop it in when cleaning and drying your K&N

Its not the money just think two would be better suited if you were touring,
as it is now I'm never more than 4 hrs away from home so on that logic I think one is fine

fat pete
13th February 2015, 03:23 PM
thankyou fellas i think ill get one alltho some people are saying that they can interfere with the maf sensor?is that the same as a airflow sensor as ive got an airflow senser strait after my airbox

threedogs
13th February 2015, 03:28 PM
you let it stand for a while to let the fumes abate a bit
Do you have a catch can fitted??

fat pete
13th February 2015, 03:42 PM
no catch can,im not running a turbo just have a vl efi system.,can you just clean the filters with fuel and oil them up

threedogs
13th February 2015, 05:10 PM
Mudski suggested a degreaser , just remember any strong fumes will play havoc on the Maf so air it well
before you re-install. At least you'll know what it is if it throws up errors lol

mudski
13th February 2015, 09:51 PM
Mudski suggested a degreaser , just remember any strong fumes will play havoc on the Maf so air it well
before you re-install. At least you'll know what it is if it throws up errors lol

The Chemtech CT14 is identical to the k & N cleaner. I clean my catch can filter with petrol. Works the best to clean it, then I wash it in hot soapy water afterwards and it sits on the shelf with the air filter until the next service.

Clunk
13th February 2015, 10:35 PM
Bazinga......

mjr350
14th February 2015, 08:27 PM
Speaking from experience here.......
Be careful with k&n filters on heavily dusty roads. Hold one up to the sun and you can see through it.
High flow means less restriction and less restriction means bigger gaps.
Ive got one in the ute and it breathes a hell of a lot better for performance but I don't trust it on dirt roads as ive had dust on the wrong side of the air box at times.
Also over oiling will mess with the maf and give you a miss but nothing a can of contact cleaner can't fix.

Bulbous
14th February 2015, 09:26 PM
I think the point with a K&N filter is that you're not supposed to clean it so often.
As MJR350 says, you can see through it when it's clean. Once it's done a few KM, then the build up of particles that have been caught in the oil add to the filtration.
So as it gets dirty, it gets better at catching smaller particles, right up until it clogs up.
I also have 2, and only swap them every 3 months or so. It's usually pretty gross by then.

Clunk
15th February 2015, 01:07 AM
I just use one and change over to standard paper when being cleaned. Works for me

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forum Fiend v1.2.10.