PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent missing at idle - Could this be bad batch of diesel?

GQBIGRIG
12th February 2015, 01:33 PM
Hi guys,

Recently had NADS installed 30th Jan, Car has been running sweet. No hiccups. Cannot recall the last fill up of fuel as I've been filling the sub with the cheap prices and putting it through.

Drove it home from work Tuesday no issues. Then took a few mates to the pub for a meal and at the first set of lights, had a bit of a miss (small) but enough for my ticker to go shit is it gonna stall? Then picked up fine.. No power loss or anything.

Did this two other times on the way home. And today had done it a few. With or without the air-con running.

Any suggestions? I'm new as to the 4x4 scene.

Its a 2004 ZD30 102,000 on the clock - Second owner.

4bye4
12th February 2015, 01:58 PM
Hard to say but it sound as if its getting worse. Would be worth checking your filters for contamination. Sounds like contamination of the fuel by dirt or water to me but might be electrical and just a coincidence. Could also be its picked up some dirt from the sub if you haven't been using that up until now.

GQBIGRIG
12th February 2015, 02:03 PM
Would you suggest taking the fuel filter off then to inspect?

I have only just had all filters and oils changed.

But I have also removed a heap of plants out of a soil bed in preparation for a double driveway but it is sure dusty and have been parking it on there..

4bye4
12th February 2015, 02:43 PM
Would you suggest taking the fuel filter off then to inspect?

I have only just had all filters and oils changed.

But I have also removed a heap of plants out of a soil bed in preparation for a double driveway but it is sure dusty and have been parking it on there..

Thats all getting a bit overcomplicated i think. I don't think the drive way soil will be involved. I don't know what filters you have, but if you have a glass see through one in your system, a visual inspection should be ok, looking for debris floating in the diesel or sitting on the bottom of the bowl. If you have to remove the filters to check them do so.
What is the timing of the filters being changed and the fault appearing. Could dirt have gotten in when the filters were changed? Is the correct filter being used? Are all the clamps and hoses that were undone for the filter change done up correctly and not crushed, bent or cracked.
try and get a time line on the problem. did you first notice it after the filter change? If so it may be somthing not put back correctly. If not it may just be coincedence. Did you always keep the sub tank full, or was it empty and dry untill you started taking advantage of the low prices. If the tank was dry I would suspect there was dust or rust in it and this has now disloged into the main tank and feeds. Again though, it may have nothing to do with it and just be coincidence. I'm not trying to be stupid, but I have always found it good policy to check what has just changed and once that has been eliminated start on other checks.
i know what I mean, I just hope you do. lol

GQBIGRIG
12th February 2015, 03:30 PM
I know what you mean mate haha..

It has been running fine. Filters and everything were done by my diesel mechanic when I purchased it in November. Since have been trouble free, I do not know how much the sub tank was used prior. But I have used it and filled it up when I fill the main most days.

I have put through some Chemtech Diesel Power Fuel additive. See if this helps while I brainstorm and work it out!

threedogs
12th February 2015, 03:40 PM
I run Nulon injector cleaner with good results,
Maybe take it for a short run somewhere to clear out the system
is it only at idle ?
If I dont fill both tanks I at least put $20 in the sub, keep things lubricated

Sir Roofy
12th February 2015, 03:41 PM
In that case change your fuel filter could have been some crud in the tank and working its way through
the fuel line

GQBIGRIG
12th February 2015, 03:55 PM
Its is not all the time.. it is random.. too random to be sinister if you know what I mean. Just filled the tank, put in the additive and drove it.. didn't miss yet.

Roofy you could be on the money.. If it persists I'll do just that.

Threedogs, maybe I should put some additive in the sub too?

happygu
12th February 2015, 05:40 PM
Hi guys,

Recently had NADS installed 30th Jan, Car has been running sweet. No hiccups. Cannot recall the last fill up of fuel as I've been filling the sub with the cheap prices and putting it through.

Drove it home from work Tuesday no issues. Then took a few mates to the pub for a meal and at the first set of lights, had a bit of a miss (small) but enough for my ticker to go shit is it gonna stall? Then picked up fine.. No power loss or anything.

Did this two other times on the way home. And today had done it a few. With or without the air-con running.

Any suggestions? I'm new as to the 4x4 scene.

Its a 2004 ZD30 102,000 on the clock - Second owner.

Have you tried putting it back to standard, just to check if it is something to do with the NADS install?

Usually, most problems that occur straight after doing some work, have a direct link or cause stemming from the work ....

GQBIGRIG
12th February 2015, 06:04 PM
Have not tried that no, It has been running fine with the NADS for the past 1 1/2 weeks.. That is another thing. Did go past the mechanic and he said to keep an eye on it. If it continues or worsens then he will investigate that.

the evil twin
12th February 2015, 06:16 PM
snip...

Cannot recall the last fill up of fuel as I've been filling the sub with the cheap prices and putting it through.

Not sure what you mean by that?
The Sub feeds the Main so even if you never put a drop in the main tank at the servo the engine draws it down and the sub fills it up.

GQBIGRIG
12th February 2015, 06:21 PM
E.g cannot recall the exact day I last filled the sub/main up and it was not within the time frame of the other day when it started to occur. But I did fill both with the same diesel I'm sure.. I was trying to work out whether it is a bad batch of diesel.

the evil twin
12th February 2015, 06:28 PM
E.g cannot recall the exact day I last filled the sub up and it was not within the time frame of the other day when it started to occur. I was trying to work out whether it is a bad batch of diesel.

Aaaahhh, OK.

Pretty rare to get bad Diesel from mainstream outlets these days.
If you do you normally know about real quick by the line up of dead common rail vehicle (of all makes) owners stretching from the Servo.
Bad fuel stops a common rail like a gunshot to the melon.

GQBIGRIG
12th February 2015, 06:59 PM
Hmmmmm well lets hope it is lol.. :D

GQBIGRIG
15th February 2015, 02:49 PM
Now Im thinking Dual mass flywheel? Symptoms are exactly the same.