PDA

View Full Version : ABS/VDC warning lights when hard braking

Maxhead
11th February 2015, 02:07 PM
OK, Another problem which started a while back.

When I depress the foot brake hard to the floor (stationary or moving) the ABS and VDC and SLIP lights come ON.

Have no idea where to start.

I have checked all brake lines, electrical wiring to the brake lights and only found that the brake fluid level is a little low(about a quater way between low and high mark)
Everything else seems OK visually

I have reset the ECU by disconecting the battery as well

Stumped!

rusty_nail
11th February 2015, 02:16 PM

When I depress the foot brake hard to the floor (stationary or moving) the ABS and VDC lights come ON.

I have checked all brake lines, electrical wiring to the brake lights and only found that the brake fluid level is a little low(about a quater way between low and high mark)

Stumped!

try disconnecting your battery for 27.654 hours and cleaning your MAF, that should sort you out

rusty_nail
11th February 2015, 02:21 PM
on a more serious note, what about trying this to clear any fault codes that may be in your system?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5UQIF3Euu0

Maxhead
11th February 2015, 02:51 PM
on a more serious note, what about trying this to clear any fault codes that may be in your system?

Scangauge is not showing any codes at all.

Also just addead some more brake fluid as on the Infinity forum guys were having same issue and this was one of the fixes

rusty_nail
11th February 2015, 02:54 PM
perhaps its a combination of low brake fluid/air in the brake lines? did you bleed the brakes while you were at it?

Sir Roofy
11th February 2015, 03:21 PM
Did you check the wheel sensors to see if they are tight rubber not cracked no corrosion wires on both sensors tight not loose ----- just a thought

BigRAWesty
11th February 2015, 03:26 PM
Scangauge is not showing any codes at all. Also just addead some more brake fluid as on the Infinity forum guys were having same issue and this was one of the fixes

Straight up I was thinking similar as the gq handbrake light comes on if brake fluid level is to low.

Maxhead
11th February 2015, 03:31 PM
Did you check the wheel sensors to see if they are tight rubber not cracked no corrosion wires on both sensors tight not loose ----- just a thought

Yep just been under there again and all sensors look good as new, I did find a chunk of wood wedged between brake lines and chasis but not damaged just cracked a couple of plastic mounts.
I'd like to know why my brake fluid was low
Also do these have a G sensor or a yaw sensor??

Maxhead
11th February 2015, 03:32 PM
Straight up I was thinking similar as the gq handbrake light comes on if brake fluid level is to low.

Yep fluid now topped up with DOT3

Maxhead
11th February 2015, 03:33 PM
perhaps its a combination of low brake fluid/air in the brake lines? did you bleed the brakes while you were at it?

Nope too lasy to bleed and no help ATM...LOL

Sir Roofy
11th February 2015, 03:53 PM
yep just been under there again and all sensors look good as new, i did find a chunk of wood wedged between brake lines and chasis but not damaged just cracked a couple of plastic mounts.
I'd like to know why my brake fluid was low
also do these have a g sensor or a yaw sensor??

have a look under the passanger front seat is there an other sensor there for deceleration those wires might be loose or dirty its under the carpet

the evil twin
11th February 2015, 04:09 PM
have a look under the passanger front seat is there an other sensor there for deceleration those wires might be loose or dirty its under the carpet

Give it a couple of wacks... if the airbags go off it wasn't for the Stability Control

rusty_nail
11th February 2015, 09:04 PM
Nope too lasy to bleed and no help ATM...LOL

come on now is the perfect time to teach one of the boys!!!

Maxhead
2nd April 2015, 08:14 AM
Well it's been at Nissan for over a week now and still no luck. Expecting to hear something today...

rusty_nail
2nd April 2015, 08:31 AM
Well it's been at Nissan for over a week now and still no luck. Expecting to hear something today...

bout time you did something to get your truck back on the road mate!

Maxhead
2nd April 2015, 06:07 PM
bout time you did something to get your truck back on the road mate!

Nissan new slogan "We employ morons!"

Ok, they reckon this issue is due to my steering wheel not sitting straight. Apparently the 2012 onwards vehicles with VDS have a steering wheel angle sensor which if not aligned 100% will cause issues with VDS....hmmmm

They told me to get a wheel alignment which I did a day before taking it into Nissan.

Looks like a adjustable drag link is in order, which funnily enough the Nissan bloke had no idea what I was talking about:(

the evil twin
2nd April 2015, 06:19 PM
Well, he is correct, it will potentially cause problems.
The steering sensor thinks you want to turn but the vehicle yaw sensor isn't.

Not saying he isn't a moron tho

Maxhead
2nd April 2015, 06:34 PM
Well, he is correct, it will potentially cause problems.
The steering sensor thinks you want to turn but the vehicle yaw sensor isn't.

Not saying he isn't a moron tho

I agree the issue is most probably the wheel being off center, new drag link will sort me out..lol

Wish I recorded the coversation though, I had to check the date and make sure he wasn't taking April's fools day piss out of me ...funny convo
to his defence he was no mechanic and was just reading the report card:)

the evil twin
2nd April 2015, 06:41 PM
How does it go again...
'Met 3 Morons, a Cretin and 2 Retards within 20 minutes today.
How?
Went to the service counter and asked to speak to a manager.'

Yendor
2nd April 2015, 07:12 PM

When I depress the foot brake hard to the floor (stationary or moving) the ABS and VDC and SLIP lights come ON.

Stumped!

How far off centre is your steering wheel? What lift do you have?

I don't see how the steering wheel not sitting straight can be the cause, if it happens when stationary.

Mine will occasionally bring on the lights when I'm traveling on dirt roads at speed. Once I cycle the ignition, lights turn off.

Maxhead
2nd April 2015, 07:35 PM
How far off centre is your steering wheel? After replacing the panhard rod, tie rod and steering damper it sits 90deg out
What lift do you have? 2" TJM Gold

I don't see how the steering wheel not sitting straight can be the cause, if it happens when stationary.

Mine will occasionally bring on the lights when I'm traveling on dirt roads at speed. Once I cycle the ignition, lights turn off.

see above Rod

Another thing that will happen if I dont press the brake hard to bring the lights "ON" is if I drive and turn my steering wheel the left front wheel starts locking up or so it feels like it(like stability control kicking in)

Yendor
2nd April 2015, 07:56 PM
90degrees thats a mighty effort. Vehicle speed is another input for VDC/ABS. It shouldn't cause a fault when stationary.

Maxhead
2nd April 2015, 08:01 PM
90degrees thats a mighty effort. Vehicle speed is another input for VDC/ABS. It shouldn't cause a fault when stationary.

It was only about an eight out before I replaced the above components, but after it was worse and I have no idea why. Anyway I will replace the drag link with an adjustable to get it right. Once I get the vehicle back after they do the recall I'll try the same with holding the steering wheel straight

Yendor
2nd April 2015, 08:23 PM
Yeah, I think thats your next step. It will be interesting to see how it is after you replace the drag link.

What recall? Panhard nut?

Maxhead
2nd April 2015, 08:25 PM
Yeah, I think thats your next step. It will be interesting to see how it is after you replace the drag link.

What recall? Panhard nut?

Draglink will be ordered as soon as I find some coin, bit broke ATM.

Yeah, I never took it in as I thought it was a joke of a recall but I suppose they will fit the bit of space age engineering onto the nut...lol

Maxhead
21st April 2015, 08:45 PM
Forgot to update till I saw another thread...OOps

Anyway, I picked the vehicle up from Nissan and after them telling me the whole time my steering wheel was out causing the issues the actual problem was just a brake fuse apparently!
They replaced the fuse and no issues for the past two weeks::)) Happy chappy, although I have only driven it twice...LOL

Anyway happy for now